/dist/images/branding/favicon

Has anyone come up with a way to keep the movi intact while transporting from one location to anothe

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Adam Brennan, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I was wondering if there was a stand specifically made where you can transport the movi with a camera on it intact from one location to another. I am thinking of making one, but wanted to see if there was one out there already. Makes run and gun shooting easier than disassembling and reassembling.

2. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Also to add...does it hurt the gimbal to let it hang while driving around with it off? Not sure if it would hurt the bearings. If so, I guess there could be a way to help support the load while it's on the hanger.

3. Fred Light

Fred Light New Member

This is going to sound so dumb, but it's what I've used for two years with a MoVI M10 and Sony AyS II

It's all set up to go (not on the stand). I bought a white box at The Container Store. Put a pillow in the bottom, and I just lay the MoVI with the camera attached on top of the box... the arm goes over the outside edge. I use mine 5-6 times every day. It sits in the back end of my SUV.... I just grab it... grab the rack and run in and do my thing... don't even have to balance each time. I recalibrate maybe once a month... if that. Works like a charm. And I even bought one of those mega Pelican cases for $600 which was only a pain in the ass.... this $20 job works perfectly.

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Actually this isn't a bad idea. You just gave me an idea I think I will make out of aluminum. Thanks for the response!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice solution, Fred. Any particular color or pattern for the cushion you'd recommend? :)

Andy

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

8. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I use one of these plastic totes and a moving blanket on location.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332452-61896-332452___?productId=3265477&pl=1&Ntt=rugged+tote

Put the cap on the lens, have the blanket already inside the tote and draping over the sides, and just drop the camera in the tote on top of the blanket, and wrap it up like a burrito. I can even leave the handles on the Movi and they hang outside on the top part of the tote. It's a quick way to move around via car or camera cart if you're in a hurry, but I would want more protection if this were rattling around in the back of a production cube truck, especially if other cases could fall into it, so that's where I'd opt for a Pelican case.

10. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Andy do you have pictures of your set up?

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not much to show, Adam -- it's just a Pelican 0370 with pick-n-pluck foam hollowed out to accept the MōVI -- I have to rotate the Small HD monitor down around the handle-bar so that the lid can close. I've currently got the MōVI in MR configuration otherwise I'd shoot an image or two.

Andy.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....that's a lot less bulky that the Pelican 0370....

Andy

14. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I think I found a cool solution under $40 that will work like a charm! I will build it tomorrow and post what I have. I want to be able to initialize the movi also on this stand so it's ready to go. Before i was having my assistant hold it steady as possible and at times it would not stabilize due to their movement. This should work like a charm. If it works out well I may make one out of carbon fiber.

15. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Here's my solution for moving around with my Movi. It can go in the back of my truck or van without worry about tipping over. I will probably cut the arms down a little more but got this so I can rebalance in my vehicle. I should be able to initialize the gimbal also. May paint it black and do some minor mods on it. It's still light but wide enough stance from tipping. Thoughts? Under $40 bucks.

Attached Files:

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I can see you went to the same school of "ghetto stand-making" that Steve Maller did, Adam -- that's an excellent idea.

You may need to put some segments of pool-noodle (the type with the hole in the middle) on the lower part of the frame to stop it sliding around on carpeting in the back of an SUV, but, as you say, the stance is wide enough to prevent a tip-over.

You might also need some kind of a tethering arrangement so that the gimbal and cage don't flail around when subjected to the G-forces as you drive.

Andy.

17. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Lol. I resourced enough parts to make it out of carbon fiber but then it would be too nice and i would worry about beating it up. I will put a sand bag on the base to secure it. I wont be racing my car so it wont slide around.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You could put sand into the PVC tubes (or lead shot) and then cement on end-caps.

Andy.

19. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

My OCD kicked in and I decided to return all the PVC pipe back to the store. I went and bought metal and welded a small frame together. Material was actually less than the PVC piping. I designed this stand to break down for travel. Very sturdy! Painted it black.

Attached Files:

20. Ben Kanegson

Ben Kanegson New Member

Got one of the Pelican 370's as per Andy's suggestion, and whoa, that is one scary volume of case! However, it is appropriate for big show transport in the camera truck, where maximum protection is an absolute must. Am also activating plan B, " ghetto box" for smaller job/ SUV transport. Form factor far better and the price is right. :).