/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA Flight Data Viewer

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Tabb Firchau, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Some of you might have noticed that Freefly has developed a flight data viewer tool. We have used it for analysis and to optimize the setup of ALTA's. Its been incredible helpful in analyzing flight performance, crashes, and spotting issues with particular setups before they become an issue.

The flight data viewer has been critical for me to gain an understanding of what is happening with an ALTA in flight in a visual manner.

One poignant example was during the development of the ALTA, I took off with my machine backwards and promptly crashed into a bush. I was perplexed at first, not realizing what I did wrong right off the bat. But once we got back to HQ Shane was able to grab the data log and confirm beyond reasonable doubt that I had just messed up, and the issue was pilot error.

As annoyed as I was with myself, it was great to have certainty and understand the issue.

This tool was originally intended to be only for internal Freefly Engineering use, but its just too damn useful to keep to ourselves. It is a first release and lacks some of the polish that we would normally put on external facing software, but I think it will help you be a more safe, and succesful ALTA operator.

Huge props to Shane for developing this utility, and to Dave for making sure it got into users hands.

You can find the utility with a brief set of instructions here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iioshkudfey1kvf/Data Viewer_2016-01-22.zip?dl=0

Best of luck, we will add more as time allows but we wanted to share this right away.

Tabb

2. rosauro o

rosauro o New Member

Works great Tabb!
    Thank you!!!

3. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Awesome. Thanks. Looking forward to using it.

4. Humberto Barchini

great Tool!!!! thanks!!!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

When you click on the SlimDX .msi to install it, if it opens up in Notepad, it means that you need to reset the actions associated with .msi files. It's apparently quite a well-known problem. Do a Google search for: windows .msi file notepad

You may want to qualify the search term to include your version of Windows: windows 7 .msi file notepad.
    What you need to do is rebuild the .msi action associations, and then when you do a click right on the .msi file you'll see one of the actions is to run Windows Installer.

Once I did this I got the Data Viewer to work first time -- you just drag'n'drop the .csv for the Synapse log file onto the Data Viewer and you're good to go. You need to stare at all the various options to see just what you're getting, though.

It's a lot more convenient to run this than to run the Synapse Log File Converter I wrote, but you may find you still want to use that Log File converter as MK_GPXTOOL does present a different kind of play back information.

Andy.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Can't wait to give it a try - looks like a great tool! Thank you.

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I downloaded it and played with it for about 30 minutes. IT seems pretty easy to use and offers a lot of good information. Thanks for releasing this.
    :D

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I really want to try it out, but I still have WinXP on my Parallels installation and my Win8 laptop is at work. Can't wait!

9. Dimitar Krustev

Dimitar Krustev New Member

Thank you very much Tabb for sharing this amazing tool. I have just loaded my last flight and gave it a try... it is just GREAT. All the details of the flight, we need are there. Thank you again

10. Humberto Barchini

Hi Tabb... what are the requirements that we need to run the software... I have a HP with and I5 processor and Intel video... and it donĀ“t work... it have installed .net 4.5+ just to now if it that mi NB have problems or not meet the requirements...
    Wen I open the software the error is "Graphic option not supported, using minimum settings"
    then "invalid exception error" then the software opens... but I drop the logs and nothing happens, and I wait more than five minutos to see...
    Thanks in advance...

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Humberto what operating system version are you running.

12. Humberto Barchini

Hi Gary... Windows 7 SP1 (my wife NB I use MAC ;)

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Humberto I see in the instructions the following:

Data Viewer is only compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1/10 64-bit.

Wonder if your setup is running at 64 bits?

Steve you can put that WinXP on the edge of the cliff at the beach, have someone kick it over the edge while filming it with a RED at 300fps. Should make a great video :)

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  14. Humberto Barchini

Hi Gary Windows 7 pro SP1 64 bits... tested in two machines... same problem... graphic not supported then debug problem...

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

16. Frantisek Laube

Frantisek Laube New Member

Hello Humberto, any news from FF support ? I have same problem here...

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

OK, I loaded up the data viewer on my Window 8 laptop, and there's a screen resolution problem. The laptop's screen is 1366x768 and the bottom of the data viewer window is cut off, and there's no way to scroll down. Can this be addressed so that the window can be resized/scrolled (or something like that)? Thank you!

cc: support@freeflysystems.com

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve easy fix. Dump the computer you have and get one with a bigger screen... Size matters :)

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary's right, Steve. Size matters! :rolleyes: (Resolution that is.)

Or as the late Steve Jobs would put it: You're doing it wrong. You're running Windows on a PC. Run it on a Mac with a Retina display using Bootcamp.

Come to think of it Steve Jobs might not like the fact that Apple hardware is a great platform for Windows. On the other hand, maybe he'd see the funny side of that.

Andy.

20. John Mantovani

John Mantovani New Member

Hi Steve,
    Wondering if you have rectified this problem? I am experiencing the same issue as you ie bottom of window is cut off and I cannot access the buttons.
    Thanks
    John