/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 + A7RII - Vibration when camera switched on

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Robert Eder, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Hi,

I am currently testing the new Akira firmware on the MoVI M5 and I get heavy vibrations on the pan motor (pretty high frequency, i´d say around 50 hz) as soon as I switch the camera on.

I´ve never seen such a behavior on a gimbal before. Anyone noticed something similar?

No problems as long as the camera is off ;) I don´t get it. Anyone?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

this may be a bit of a longshot, but have you tried turning off the internal image stabilizer on the camera?

3. Craig Parry

Craig Parry New Member

Hi Robert,
    I tried the new firmware with the A7s2 and had constant buzzing in roll axis so my advise is to revert back to old firmware until the beta version is ready for public :)

4. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Hi Steve, that was the first thing I tried. Usually I never use internal IS. Did not solve it. I just tried the A7RII on the MoVI M10 with no problems. Seems like a resonance thing between the M5 and the A7RII. Very strange.

I just did a quick test flight with the M10 and A7RII. Akira stabilization is quite an improvement. However I´d prefer to use the M5 for the A7 series bodies which does not work at this point.

Something in this camera must be moving as soon as it get´s power.

5. Steve Maller

Time to bust out the aluminum foil. I always keep enough around to wrap my head. o_O

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: Do you put it under the quadcopter or on top? :eek:
    Andy.

7. Steve Maller

That's proprietary information.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You dog. You put it on top and underneath, don't you?

9. Andrew Griffiths

Hi Craig, we experienced the exact same thing on Pan. Reduced stiffness to 30 and still had vibes. Ended up rolling back to V4.

10. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

When you have time to experiment, there are three new settings that can help target vibrations on a particular axis: Output Tilt Filter, Output Roll Filter, and Output Pan Filter. Output Pan Filter is especially useful since it can be set pretty high to kill off pan resonance without sacrificing Tilt and Roll Stiffness. The general goal is to set each axis' filter at a value that allows maximum Stiffness for that axis. That optimum point can differ a lot depending on exact gimbal/camera/lens setup, though, so some trial and error is required. More info in the Akira manual under the Tuning Guide.

Note that the regular Output Filter setting, if used, overrides these independent ones. So keep that set to one (1) if you want to use the axis-specific ones.

Mark Chamberlin and Steve Maller like this.
  11. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Mess around with the output filters. I was getting bad vibes on Tilt and upped the filter to 8 from 3 (which is what I used in the past) and this seems to have cured it.

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.