/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connex Mini Review

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Jack Wrangham, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

Benjamin Kenobi and Ozkan Erden like this.
  2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Thanks for the review Jack. I could never get the advertised range even with the "stability boost" option enabled on Connex. I can roughly get 300-350 meters range with full sized Connex. I would feel happy myself if I could get 200 meters range with Connex Mini.

I think it's a good deal for gound based work, as long as you use camera with an HDMI output. And I love the anttena sockets of Connex Mini. Easier to change antennas.

Will I buy one? No :)

3. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

That's low for the full size system... what settings are you using? (it works better in 'indoor mode'... depending on which country you are in/where you bought it?). Also the latest firmware for the full size system will allow you to manually choose a frequency... which may help!

4. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the review Jack. So what is the range that you can achieve with full sized Connex? Similarly to Ozkan I can roughly get 350. I have to play with different settings. What settings would you recommend?

Tom

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Jack,

Yes I use Indoor mode and stability boost on. And also it is with the latest firmware.

6. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

Use indoor mode and stability boost (I think however in the US you dont need to use indoor mode - different regs). We've been getting 500m easy out of the regular connex, we haven't tested much beyond that to be honest as 500m is our max legally in the UK. We'll most likely use a mimo patch antenna on the ground unit if we need a solid 500m in high quality mode (for live broadcast etc).

Keep an eye on droneaerialops.com - we'll be putting up some stuff as we learn more!

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I get about 400 meters if the copter is out in front of me. Never tried the stability boost but I do have the latest firmware. I am using 5.8 FPV camera downlink too and wonder if that signal takes away from the connex range.

8. Benjamin Kenobi

Benjamin Kenobi New Member

It helps to turn on the FPV camera first, then the Connex. The connex will search for the clearest signal on boot-up, I think. :)

Dave King likes this.
  9. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

+1

10. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

Has anyone had an issue with their Connex Mini ground unit or LR going into a weird boot cycle? When I try to plug it in to my computer, to update the firmware, I can't without the units unplugging themselves from my computer. also, can't get a picture out of the HDMI on the ground unit. Brand new out of the box.