/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wedge + MoVi Controller + Red 3-axis

Discussion in 'WEDGE' started by Artur Brosig, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Artur Brosig

Artur Brosig New Member

Hi everyone,
    We have two configurations of the MoVi M10 (both with the MoVi Controller), one for handheld and other converted to MR attached to a CS8. One of the main goals is to configure it with the Red Epic. We are still struggling to get the (more close to) perfect configuration.
    We our Red Epics, we have the Red 3-axis system, but we are avoiding it and trying alternatives mostly for easy of use (as the MoVi Controller have the necessary controls for the lenses).
    We are stuck at this point: Buy a Redrock system to integrate withe the MoVi and MoVi Controller or buy a Wedge to use it with the Red 3-Axis system motors.
    Anyone have tried it?
    It's possible? On the manuals i found only the information that it works with most standard systems...

Any thoughts will be appreciated :D

Thanks in advance

PS. Going to the off-topic side, anyone managed to mount Cooke S4/i lenses with a Red Epic on a MoVi? :D

2. Mateusz Hajdziony

Redrock MicroRemote is a fine follow focus, especially given its price tag, but it's hard to properly place it somewhere on the M10 (especially for aerial application because it has to be on the shelf with camera). If you use RED with cine-sized glass (we use it with UltraPrimes) and LiPo to power the camera/RR, there's really no place to mount the receiver. It won't fit on the back of the camera - the little antenna will hit the roll bar. Right side of the camera is reserved for LiPo, and the receiver won't fit on either side because the M10 is not wide enough. We are currently mounting it on top of the camera but we don't have the full cage upgrade yet. Maybe it's just me - I like to have everything nice and tidy. There are probably some ugly ways to mount the receiver if you really can't fit it anywhere else (like the bottom or top bar of the camera cage)

You won't have issues like this with the Wedge - it is designed to fit right below the top bars of the camera cage. But it comes with a higher price tag and is not compatible with anything else than Movi Controller.

The MicroRemote has its advantages too - it has the fingerwheel which is really useful if you work in single operator mode. And it works with Movi Controller too (according to my forum knowledge) :)

3. Artur Brosig

Artur Brosig New Member

Hi Mateusz, Thanks for your response. You just convince me to buy the Wedge. :D The MoVi controller is not a problem, as we already have it. As we have the Red 3-Axis, a Camin/Cmotion/Heden and a Kessler lens control, we are avoiding to buy another complete lenses control system. I'm assuming that the Wedge will satisfactory control the Red 3-axis motors, as it is supposed to control the Héden motors (we tested the Héden motors on the Red 3-axis system and the Red motors with the Camin, both worked.. :D ). Mounting everything on the MoVi M10 is a pain. I'm thinking on put the LiPo on the MoVi MR leg (i saw a similar configuration on a forum), but i'm seriously thinking on upgrading the MoVi cage. I'm still have to manage how to mount the Teradek transmitter in such a way that it don't cause interference on the MoVi signal.. :-| Another issue to me is the lens. We have some Cooke S4i but they're big, and the gravity center of the rig makes difficult to balance it. We are thinking on some Nikon lenses...

4. Harry Mustermann

Harry Mustermann New Member

Hi there, would love to hear your results concerning motors and compatibility with the WEDGE. We haven´t come to any satisfying solutions here. The freefly support is so far not really convincing. We have 3 Viewfactor motors which normally should work with the WEDGE as they are industry standard. But they don´t work. In terms of size they would have been a perfect solutions. The making of the Redrock motors appear to be very plastic. Seems like there is no alternative to Heden motors.

5. Artur Brosig

Artur Brosig New Member

Hi Harry,
    As we are in a University in Brazil and need to deal with importation, i think that the Wedge arrives here on the end of January, maybe later.. :(
    As soon as it arrives i'll test it and let you know.
    I'm assuming that it will work as we tested the Red motors on the Camin, and the Héden motors on the Red W.M.D, and they worked flawless on both tests. The Red motors are very solid and cheaper than the Héden motors... The Redrock ones I didn't had the opportunity to work with...

6. Guillaume MARION

Alexander Sommer likes this.
  7. Alexander Sommer

Alexander Sommer New Member

Hi everyone,
    we now have the new Chrosziel CDM-100S Motors in Stock...we teamed up with Chrosziel and they modified the motors with smaller Lemo Connectors what allows you to connect directly to the WEDGE! If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us.

IMG_8263.JPG

Guillaume MARION likes this.
  8. Guillaume MARION

The perfect tool for focus puller on the MOVI with the wedge! thanks Alex to develop this!