/dist/images/branding/favicon

DJI OR MK

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Eden Tam, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Eden Tam

Eden Tam New Member

Just got cinestar 2 axis and want to know which control is better thanks.

2. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hi bbchuen, i'm very happy with Wookong-M on my cinestar 6 - 3 Axis gimbal, works pretty well and very safety. Gps is rock solid...!!!
    I don' t know if it's better than MK but i think it's a very good solution for professional using.
    A little test with my bird if you want...

Best.
    Marc.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi bbchuen:
    Welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

As to your question: I think the choice is between Wookong or Mikkrokopter systems. Numerically, I think more people are use the MK boards, but, as Marc illustrates there are certainly other choices.

It all rather depends on what you mean by "better." Can you explain what you mean by that, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or Hoverfly. Really starting to like the simplicity. Still needs to be better at GPS hold but I only use that to park it if I need to put on goggles or do something else for a moment.

5. Eden Tam

Eden Tam New Member

Thanks a lot guys, actually I m new in aerial. Need more advise form experts like yours.

6. Eden Tam

Eden Tam New Member

Thanks a lot guys, actually I m new in aerial. Need more advise form experts like yours.

7. Peter Gøthche

If you are new i would go for the dji wookong-m its almost plug-n-play

8. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

i have a cinestar 6 with MK flight control only
    and a cinestar 6 with DJI WKM...

I love the wookong GPS position hold, it is perfect.... but i get more flight time with my MK / BL's than the simon k ESC's that i use in WKM....
    For work i always use my bullet proof MK , with no navi, no GPS,....
    .flights in all weathers, temperatures, etc.... i can do crazy movements and fast while flying....

i just like watching my wkm fly in the park....with no hands!!

9. Eden Tam

Eden Tam New Member

Thanks Peter and Daniel, I think I will go for DJI first and Mk later. Because I can get more support for DJI here. If I have any problems in cinestar 6 and gimbal, please give me a hand.
    Thanks so much guys

Eden Tam

10. Peter Gøthche

Sure thing Eden Tam ;-)

11. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Dji all the way.....

12. Daniel Delaunay

As far as I know, WK is a horrible gimbal controller. Most people use Hoverfly or Radian as stand alone on their gimbals when flying DJI system. Even Naza can give you better results than WK!

But Zenmuse only works with WK, and it's a great gimbal for mirroless cameras.

13. Guilherme Barbosa

Who uses the same fc that controls the bird to control the gimbal these days??? Are you????
    And if you think zenmouse only works with wkg take alook at our last job for redbull/ chilisports
    . But the secret on how to do ...... Well thats a secret

14. Daniel Delaunay

First time I hear about Z-15 working without WK-M!
    Now you impressed me! LOL

By the way, don't you use the build in gimbal control on Hoverfly Pro FC on your setups?

At least with MK most people seem to use it's own gimbal control for Cinestar 3 axis with good results, or am I mistaken?

15. Guilherme Barbosa

Sorry I got lost on the translation....
    Do you mean I use Hoverfly Fc for controlling the Gimbal? if this is the question, less and less we are using HF for the lack of support, it is a great board, but the support we are receiving is at least a joke. So we are probably moving to full DJI. It look to us that they achieved a very stable product at the moment. And the support is been absolutely a joy. We don't do MK. Apparently we are always on the opposite to the big numbers, but for us is working this way I simply love Zenmuse, and we are working with DJI for a few new things......
    But for big cameras FREEFLY is the way to go, @least untill now
    As I heard so does FreeFly is cooking a few gadgets Lets see what Magical Tab and his team will come up for us.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Beg to differ on HoverFly support. They have been great. Easy to deal with, prompt on responses and willing to go the extra mile when I have had problems. And from some of the postings I see elsewhere they have the patience of Job.

From a setup and fly point of view they are the most straight forward setups I have seen. Haven't tried DJI but when I see drawings of needing to know the COG and then have XYZ axis to try and measure and key in I can't see how that is at all simple.

MK has been around the longest, has a long list of features that most of us probably don't use, a huge amount of settings that even after you do all of the research you may still not understand nor get right. I do give an edge to MK for the integration with the Graupner radios with the telemetry. I don't have that on the HF boards (yet) but they do have an expansion board for Xbees or something similar on the GPS board.

The only thing I find on the HF that is still not all that great is GPS position hold. They are working on that and I only use it to park the ship while I am doing something else, like putting on googles or making another adjustment on the ground. For general filming (mainly stills) it doesn't get used.

17. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

How about showing us some raw footage before post work etc?

Ziv Marom likes this.
  18. Guilherme Barbosa

Hi Gary,
    I got into HF for all I saw and read about a year ago( and the simple settings) that at the end wasn't so simple as I needed a few parameters that I wish they had, as the GPS hold and also a better GPS that looks like they come up with just after I spent 5K with them( and my order was still in transit) , and not even a single word on replacement for my units. And also an answer that I couldn't leave with(when I needed the most), but that's me. AS I said before, and still say it is a GREAT board, and it help me a lot. But lately they care more of their RTF and left us dealers in the shadow a bit. That it is my experience and only I can speak for myself. But again everyone experience is different And I do respect that . It is a great board indeed.
    DJI does scares at first view, but once you get it going you will see it's not that complex.
    I don't have a problem admitting MK is to much settings for my like. and with osd today its easy to get batt info, And HF just fixed their batt info, finally is working.
    So at the end it is up to us to choose what fits our needs better on my list it would be DJI>HF>MK

19. Daniel Delaunay

Caju, DJI was my first choice more than a year ago and still is after reading a lot about the other systems, even considering all the many bugs DJI had. At first they didn't have much of a support. I spent months fighting them on RCG after a fly away based on initial GPS South Hemisphere bug (not known at the time as they probably omitted the problem to avoid sales impact). All I could get was been bashed over and over by their staff and resellers until the guys in Australia came to my support saying the GPS really didn't work down south. But took them a long time to take action and the problems continued to come in form of many other bugs and many other users loosing all their gear until DJI realised that if they didn't provide proper support for resellers and end users they could go out of business. Now I think they are finally getting to a point where we can rely on them. Problems still exist but they are dealing quickly with them and the product seems mature enough to be used professionally without fear. They may not be the easiest but for sure neither the hardest system around to learn. I also agree that MK is a bit too much complex for my like. I have been talking to DJI about reselling their products for many months now and was just waiting the last bug fix that came out a few weeks ago and the holidays season pass to start my own shop. I even had the idea of contacting you to talk about some kind of partnership were I could offer yours Freefly systems with DJI FC's. I also enjoy a lot building and setting the systems, apart of flying them. And I really enjoy much more to work with people with same goals and interests than do everything alone. I see you have been very committed to this industry and is doing a great progress, much ahead of me to be honest. So, if you think that there is space on your plans to someone else working with you somehow for the same goals, lets have have a beer and talk about it this week. ;)
    And Merry Xmas everyone!

20. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Hello, I am starting with a Cinestar 8 and I am not happy with DJI WKM...got it set but there's always a little woobling effect...and it is worst on windy days.
    What do you guys think about swapping to MK? Is it really Rock solid?
    There are some $$$ involved for that change!!!!