/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA Announces sUA (Drone) Registration Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

My two commercial rigs have N numbers N600FC and N480FC.

I own a couple that I don't use commercially, like my old DJI F550 "Flamewheel." and a Blade 350 QX, plus I am flying a test bird that I don't own. The first two would be impractical to get an N Number and a huge waste of time. The other I don't own and will eventually give back so I can't register it if I wanted it to. So this process keeps me legal to fly the noncommercial stuff.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's interesting because the FAA says that if the aircraft's owned by a corporation then you cannot register it on-line.
    But what happens if an employee flies the aircraft for recreation? Hmmm.

I registered anyway on the basis I rather be doubly registered than not at all.
    I've got some N-numbers reserved but I suspect when the sUAS Final Rule is issued that sUA will not need N-numbers.

Andy.

3. Shaun Stanton

The way I figure it is that the Flamewheel and the Blade have never really flown under the Flytcam corporate banner. I consider them my personal aircraft. Oddly enough I haven't flown either of them in a long while. But I figured while the registration is free, and required if I were to get the urge to dust them off and fly I will have the non commercial reg number slapped on them to stay legal.

Like you said better to be doubly covered than not at all

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. Just to be safe, I'm going to include my inside leg measurement on the the label I put on all the copters. <evil grin>

Andy.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  5. Shaun Stanton

I plan on registering as many of my future commercial rigs as possible with N numbers because I feel this will help with ICAO reciprocity. I am already working on the 333 equivalents in several countries. I think because of the Chicago convention you will want an ICAO recognized number to fly outside our borders.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh this is going to be fun. Rule: Stay in radio contact with the tower if flying in an airport traffic area.

Me: Centennial Tower Drone Fox Alpha Three Kilo Charlie Niner Poppa Romeo Niner.
    Centennial Tower: Aircraft calling say again. You were garbled.
    Me: Centennial Tower Drone Fox Alpha Three Kilo Charlie Niner Poppa Romeo Niner.
    Centennial Tower: Who ever is calling that is not an aircraft and there are federal penalties for being on this frequency....