/dist/images/branding/favicon

Downlink Antennas?

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Josh Lambeth, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dragan Radoicic

Dragan Radoicic New Member

Andy & Phil, I have Vuzix glasses and i dont think it's such a good idea to use just one lens-monitor. They are to small and it is hard to see with two of them. I've only used them few times and cann't get to adjust to them. Black fake glass does not realy protect you from the sun and light coming from the sides. 7"-10" monitor is much efective infront of you. Sometimes I put them on top of my nose and sometimes look trough them. It is more distracting that way than flying FPV 100% from takeoff to landing.

2. Dragan Radoicic

Philip, did you check for blue screen. I have a same monitor and it is not efective once you start geting interference. monitor turns to black/blue screen.IT can get realy anoying.

Dragan.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dragan on my Pyle PLMN9SD I have a menu setting that allows me to turn off Blue/Black. It stops it from going dark/blue with static. Not sure if your version fo the Pyle has that in the menu setup but would be worth checking.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm planning to use my Haier HLT10 I bought a couple years ago as a backup video monitor. As I understand it, this TV is not subject to the dreaded blue screen problem, and it was dirt cheap ($60 on sale) from Amazon when I got it. I'm planning to assemble a Pelican case and I really like Philip's PVC pipe frame. I've been looking for a solution to hold a pretty heavy Pelican setup, and I think this is the ticket.

With respect to powering these things, I'm guessing that our high-current LiPo batteries are overkill for something like LCD displays. Are you guys just using the same LiPo packs for these, or a lower current version?

5. Dragan Radoicic

Steve, monitors usually work on 12v, just get 3S liPo and you will be fine. I run my 10" monitor and 1500mv Video Rx all day using just one 3s 3600mA.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. I tried the Vuzix 900 and 1200 when I was at QC picking up my C8. For me there were two problems, both of which are attributable to me, not the Vuzix. Firstly, I wear eyeglasses and the Vuzix doesn't allow for that -- it can do some dioptric correction but not quite enough for me; and secondly, my interocular distance is 69mm and it wouldn't quite go to that so I couldn't see the edges of the screens.

On the other hand (so to speak) I just got a pair of the Cinemizer OLEDs from QC and they can be worn in front of my eyeglasses, although that forces them to sit further down my nose and lowers the screens to the bottom half of my glasses. Oh, and wearing my glasses and the Cinemizers as well is the absolute ultimate in dorkiness. Do NOT go outside in the street with them otherwise you will frighten the horses, neighbors' kids and probably get arrested by the Homeland Security boyz.

Now that may sound like a problem but in fact it's exactly what I wanted -- I can look straight ahead and up and see the real world through the top half of my eyeglasses, or glance down at about 50-60 degrees from horizontal and see the FPV screens. It works fine with an interocular distance of 69mm, too. Better yet, because I can wear my eyeglasses, I can also get the astigmatic correction in one eye that I need so the images are sharper.

There is some small amount of chromatic aberration on the screen and some ghosting -- it almost looks like an internal reflection. but overall I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm likely to be able to use them with my eyeglasses and avoid my real concern: the "isolation" that goggles produce.

Also, because looking forward and up is at the same focal distance as looking down, my eyes don't need to re-focus when I look down at the Cinemizer screens so it's actually faster to shift attention than looking at a a distant bird and then down at a TV monitor.

To use the Composite Video input you have to remove the HDMI adapter by pulling along the long axis of the control unit until snaps free. Read the manual as it has an image of how to do this otherwise there's a real risk you'll break it!

Below is an image taking using a Canon S96 camera held up against the left hand lens of the Cinemizer. This probably qualifies as the worst image I've ever taken in my photography career in terms of image quality, but it shows you how the FPV looks. It's actually more than adequate for flight purposes. The Smart OSD icons are shown a little further in towards the center of the image than I would like, but the problem is that the Small HD monitor I otherwise use, crops the image and they'd otherwise be partly off the screen -- I need to figure that out now that I see how much image data I'm using. There should be some kind of "overscan" feature on the SmallHD.

Anyway, hope this information helps.
    Andy

Cinemizer FPV Test Image (Cropped).jpg

Colin Snow likes this.
  7. Philip Ellerbroek

Dragan,

I don't get the blue/black screen at all. This my be because I don't seem to get any interference or lack of signal quality since I updated my receiver antennas. ( http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/downlink-antennas.35/page-2#post-6580 ) . Perhaps you are getting the blue/black not due to interference but lack of strong/consistent signal to your receiver?

Phil

8. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I purchased one of the first ground stations that QC started selling, and on the first flight I noticed that they used a monitor that does the blue screen of death. found a way for them to fix it and when they come out a again using it with a Stinger and the IBC antennas are a great combo.

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Andy are you talking about the Cinemizer OLED's? I just got mine in the mail this morning (charging the battery now) and there's nothing in the manual I got about needing to remove the HDMI adapter. It has the HDMI adapter and mini plug that plug into the battery box.

EDIT: After charging the battery I plugged a DVD player in to the glasses with the composite input and it worked fine without needing to modify the HDMI adapter. These glasses are really really nice!!!!!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    Yes -- I'm glad you got it working. For me, it appeared to be ignoring the composite video input until I removed the HDMI adapter. Not sure why your set is different -- or perhaps I mis-read the symptoms I was seeing.

Andy.