/dist/images/branding/favicon

sbus vs sbus2, does it make any difference?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Joe Kocsis, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Joe Kocsis

Joe Kocsis New Member

With the Alta and Futaba receiver, they can be hooked up via sbus or sbus2. Is there any benefit, or difference to sbus vs sbus2 with the Alta? The only real difference I can find by googling is that sbus2 can send additional telemetry data, which I dont think Alta uses? So theoretically identical, or???

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you want to send the battery voltage from the Alta to a Futaba 14SG, 18MZ, 18SZ or other TX that supports telemetry then you need to use sBus2.

3. Joe Kocsis

Joe Kocsis New Member

Is it not getting the both voltages either way?

1) the battery voltage from the additional voltage plug 2) the receiver voltage just from the sbus or sbus2 vcc voltage?

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

RX voltage will show 5V since that is what the RX is getting. To get overall battery voltage you need sBus2.

5. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

I have configured an ALTA on a 14SG this week end, I used a R7008Sb, plugged the tiny connector into it, running in SBUS and I have the two voltage telemtry working: both Rx AND ALTA battery 6S.

6. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

OK....... Lets clear this up. Is there any distinct advantage running between these two? o_O

1. Futaba receiver - SBUS - 2 pin voltage feed

2. Futaba reveiver - SBUS2 - no 2 pin voltage feed

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I found this on the Internet, ergo it must be true:

Using S-Bus (R7008SB RX.) will allow you to use telemetry for your RX. power as well as power from your main flight-packs (with the proper-cable) OR, you can use up-to (2) telemetry-sensors.​

If you want to run more than (2) telemetry-sensors then you need to set the system up as S-Bus2 in 14CH. FASSTest mode.​

The full thread is at: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=535801 -- it's worth reading as there are other differences.

I found it using a Google search: what is the difference between sbus and sbus2

Andy

8. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

Still doesn't answer the question weather there is a distinct advantage. One over the other>

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Very true, Adam. I think the only way to answer that is to compare the specifications for both and see which is more suitable for your purposes. The temptation is to say that Sbus2 must be better because it's more recent, but I'm not sure I trust that kind of logic.

Andy.

10. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

So.......Make me understand this. Sbus2 and NOT using the 2 pin voltage tap still gives telemetry readings of flight battery voltage??o_O

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The only way to get flight pack voltage is through the 2 pin connector or buy the Futaba SBS-01V External Voltage Sensor or hub system if you want to use any of the other sensors.

12. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

OK - The differences between SBUS and SBUS-2::cool:

Using S-Bus (R7008SB RX.) will allow you to use telemetry for your RX. power as well as power from your main flight-packs (with the proper-cable) OR, you can use up-to (2) telemetry-sensors. BUT THATS IT!!

If you want to run more than (2) telemetry-sensors then you need to set the system up as S-Bus2 in 14CH. FASSTest mode. You can then, if you desire, connect an external pressure altitude sensor....... Just one of many.

The PPM timing changes to 15ms for increased channel capacity and telemetry downlinks.

As for the operation or performance of the ALTA:D......There is no distinct advantage to using Sbus-2 as compared to Sbus.