/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 compatible with the new Sony fs5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Simon Lefevre, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Simon Lefevre

Simon Lefevre New Member

Hello,

As a happy owner of a movi m5 using it with a 5d mIII.
    I am pretty exiting to see the new Sony fs5 and considering it as an upgrade.
    Now will the fs5 be compatible with the movi m5?
    The H x W will not be a problem. It is the lengthy depth of the camera that will cause the problem. (17,46 cm)
    Balancing it with a light prime lens could make this the ultimate camera to get for the m5.
    Thank you for your time and answers.
    Greetings from Belgium!

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Since the weight is around 800 grams, I don't see any compatibility issue with FS5 + Movi M5.

3. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

looks like there's no much trouble:

sawaragi hirohisa likes this.
  4. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

If the FS5 batteries are similar to the FS7, they come in three different weights / sizes which helps counter-balance depending on load.

One recommendation to keep the front of the camera light - the Zeiss Loxia lenses.

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

6. Alasdair McBroom

Alasdair McBroom New Member

I have this combination along with the 18-105 kit lens. The viewfinder at the back of the camera is hitting the cross beam when I tilt up or down. I've tried a smaller lens to try and throw the camera forward a bit but that's not working. A pancake lens maybe, but that's a bit of a compromise. I'm struggling to see how I can move the camera any further forward than it currently is. So to answer the question - yes it will balance and allow you to pan and roll but don't expect to be able to tilt much.

7. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

You can use BP-U60 (350g) and BP-U90 (630g) batteries to add extra weight at the back, instead of the BP-U30 (220g) that comes shipped with it, allowing you to move the camera forward ;)
    Also the Hawk-Woods alternatives BP-60U and BP-75U are a cheaper and equally good (both same size and 400g). The BP-75UX (432g) has 2x dtaps out as well which can help you power external accessories.

8. Alasdair McBroom

Alasdair McBroom New Member

Yes I managed to do that with the bigger battery and it still hits off the back of the M5. As well as that, the M5 then becomes a little unstable due to the weight that's been added.

9. Alex Pickering

Alex Pickering New Member

I've tried a few set ups for balancing the FS5 on a Movi M5. I ordered an HDMI elbow so the cord wouldn't hit the back of the M5. I also realized that in order to keep size down I'd have to use lightweight E-Mount lenses.

I've successfully balanced an FS5 with a Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 and a Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 both with a BPU-60 battery. Follow my instagram account @alexander_pickering for more rig updates.

Attached Files:

Brian Isserman likes this.
  10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

If you are finding that the viewfinder hits the roll beam during tilt, try using the M5 inverted and raising the viewfinder it is highest position. This will give you a bit more tilt range before hitting anything! I've seen this work with the C100 Mark II on the M5 as well.