/dist/images/branding/favicon

Graupner Telemetry on Alta

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andreas Riem, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Guys,
    as Graupner pilot I'm used have telemetry with full-cell-monitoring. Therefor I want to use the Graupner Electric-Air-Module also on my Alta, but I'm little scared about the 150A current (peak 1 second 320A). Does anyone has any experience with this or is using the same stuff?
    Here some pics how the implementation actually looks like. Don't like that much, better ideas very welcome.
    IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg

Cheers,
    Andreas

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andreas if all you need is simply the voltage I wonder if you could simply use the supplied power tap that plugs into the Futaba RX. It is simply providing the voltage value. Then you eliminate adding a failure point to the power supply wiring. You wouldn't have amps but not sure the the Graupner unit reports amps.

3. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Gary, I see your point with the wiring, but only in that case Alta regularly uses more than 150A current for longer than 2 seconds. The Graupner module provides cell-voltage, used capacity (mAh) and general voltage. I my eyes the cell-voltage is the most important information. We're using only first class batteries form Tattu - but sometimes it happens that you get a sick one and you are lucky to see the cell-drop early enough.

4. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Hy,

I use this Air module on my ALTA too. So far without any problem. Even when flying 16 kg gross it worked fine.
    But I only use it on 1 battery, so if something happens to the air modul I still have 1 battery to land safely. (kopterworx recommended)
    (This mean I have to multiply the current by 2 when i check it)

Attached Files:

5. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Hi Adam, can you post of send me a picture how the air module is implemented onto your Alta?

Cheers, Andreas

6. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Hy Andreas,

Attached Files:

7. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Thanks Adam!

8. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

If you have any questions let me know!

9. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi Guys,

I see that you use Graupner system. I have had a hard week end trying to set up a GR 24 PRO on an MC20. I didn't manage to make it work.
    I have found no where how to set up the GR 24 PRO in SUMO 12 mode :/

What Rx are you using on your ALTA ?

Thanks in advance ;)

best regards,
    Cedric

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Salut Cedric:
    Ca va?

As I recall, to enable SUMO on a receiver you have to do it via the telemetry screen on the MC-20.
    This shows how to do it: http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/MC-20#Set_the_receiver_to_sum-signal

But that said, I am not sure the that GR 24 PRO actually supports SUMO? There is no mention of SUMO in the "manual" at http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/files/33579_33583_Manual_DE_EN_FR_IT_web.pdf

I recently had to order several GR-32 Rx's from Germany because the GR-32L's (and other L models) on-sale in the USA no longer support SUMI -- and I'm not sure whether they support SUMO.

I have no idea what Graupner is playing at by segmenting the market like this and presuming that removing existing features is a way to win loyal customers in the USA. It seems both arbitrary and pointless. Grrrrr.... :mad:

Andy.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Adam:
    Could you describe the steps you took to install the Graupner Air Module, please?
    It looks like you have both XT60 LiPo wires configured in a Y-connector and feeding through the Air Module? Is that correct?

A simple wiring diagram would be very helpful.

I am just concerned that if people want to do this that they need to do it properly to avoid problems.

Thanks
    Andy

12. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Salut Andy, toujours un plaisir d'échanger un brin de français avec toi ;)

I have had hard time this week end with no results.
    The GR24 PRO is sold to support SUMO, SUMI,SUMD but .... guy, you can't have it to work in SUMO ! no way to configure it thry telemetry system in SUMO. SUMD yes, SUMO or SUMI : no .

And effectively, in the manual: no trace of SUMI and SUMO ...

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Cedric: Je me réjouis de la possibilité d'écrire en français - même si je dois avouer que je besoin de l'aide de Mme Google pour vérifier que je ne suis pas en train d'écrire comme un idiot.

Il semble bizarre que Graupner / SJ semblent avoir retiré SUMO / SUMI? De ce que vous avez trouvé, il apparaît que SUMD est maintenant un remplacement pour SUMO / SUMI?
    Dites-moi qui est pas vrai, s'il vous plaît ...

---

I welcome the opportunity to write in French -- even though I need the assistance of Mme Google.

It seems bizarre that Graupner/SJ appear to have removed SUMO/SUMI? From what you have found it appears that SUMD is now a replacement for SUMO/SUMI?
    Tell me that is not true, please...
    Andy

14. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi Adam,
    Just a question about the battery connectors that you are using. Are you sure that they are rated to supply enough power? if they are xt60 connectors, I would be concerned that they wouldn't be sufficient. With an approximate 4.2kg payload my Alta motors are pulling an average of 156A. This would be too much for xt60 connectors right? And would be getting close to what the xt90 connectors are capable of. Am I right, or am I misunderstanding something?
    Cheers,
    Alex

15. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Hy, I knew that the XT90 are rated at 60A. This is why I tested them to see what can they handle.
    At 24V one connector can handle 100A for 2 hours at around 40 celsius. At 120A they went up to 48 celsius. After this I'am confident about these connectors. Used them with my cinestar for a long time without any problem.

alex ryan likes this.
  16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you happen to do any tests on EC3 and EC5's, Adam?

Andy

17. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

No, only used EC5 on my T-Rex 700E. That used 160-240A currents and the EC5 only got a bit warm, so it could handle this.
    Never used EC3.
    I only switched to XT90 because it has the antispark version, wich is better, since the sparks won't ruin the connectors, and it won't give the electronics such a big shock when connecting.

18. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

One side note about the XT90S. I fyou don't push it all the way together and start flying/chargin you gonne have a small pop when the resistor blows up. :)

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I presume what happens is the anti-spark resistor, which is only designed for low current, suddenly gets hit with high current and then, as the saying goes, "the resistor turns into a fast-blow fuse."

Andy.

20. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Yes, I blow up one while testing on my charger/DC. It smelt terrible. :)