/dist/images/branding/favicon

What do I need?

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Matthew Justin, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Matthew Justin

Matthew Justin New Member

Hey guys,

I just picked up a MōVI M5 for use with a Canon 7D / 5D III. I did not purchase the M5 with MIMIC, but would like to add the MIMIC to my M5 in the near future. What else would you recommend I purchase with the MIMIC to get it to work smoothly with my M5? I am already planning on purchasing a SmallHD DP4 (with mount) as the monitor. I assume I will need some sort of transmitter / receiver system to allow video from the camera to be sent to the monitor that is mounted on the MIMIC. Any suggestions for a transceiver system that doesn't break the bank? Thanks for the help!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Matthew Justin

All done!

4. Matt Beardsley

Good question, I'm in the same boat, setting up a Mimic for production work.

I think the best cost effective short-range option (up to 300 ft.) would be the new Paralinx Ace. It can be HDMI or SDI, including the option to go in as one and out as the other, lots of good options to power it at both ends too. Teradek Bolt Pro 300 is very similar, though more expensive and with the very cool option to have both HDMI and SDI on the same unit. I've used the Teradek 300 as a rental a few times and really like it – within range, it's bulletproof.

The Amimon Connex HD is probably the current standard for long-range HD video, though it doesn't carry sound and the Tx has a somewhat noisy cooling fan. It's really cost effective compared to Paralinx Tomahawk or Bolt 2000.

If you're considering a monitor in the price range of the SmallHD DP4, you might check out the Black Magic Video Assist also.

Matthew Justin likes this.
  5. Matthew Justin

Thanks for the tips! Definitely going to consider the Black Magic Video Assist now...

Do you know any cheaper transceiver alternatives, however? The prices are simply too much for me...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Matthew:
    Not sure whether these are in your price range, but B-stock means that minor imperfections (usually just cosmetic to the outer case) exist: http://store.smallhd.com/store/B-Stock-Monitors

For example: Small HD DP4, $349.

Andy.

Matthew Justin likes this.
  7. Matthew Justin

I did not even know that Small HD had a B-stock sale section! Thank you so much!

8. Matt Beardsley

For a bargain solution to wireless monitoring, you could try the Nyrius Aries Pro. I have one on an M5 and it does the job for short range use, like monitoring and Mimic use (had it on a Ronin before upgrading to Freefly). You have to power both Tx and Rx with USB batteries, like what you'd use to charge a phone, which makes rigging a little awkward.

9. Steve James

Steve James New Member

How is the Mimic powered?

10. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

11. Steve James

Steve James New Member

12. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

Oh wow, they dropped prices to $500,- again?
    Last time I checked they raised it to $800,-

From a few DPs I heard the Aminon are the best, but they are also the most expensive ones...