/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 and DJI A2 FC

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by sandeep nandy, Nov 16, 2015.

1. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Hi Guys, my movi is shipped and will be receiving by Thursday. Have a question : My personal UAV is the DJI S1000 with A2 flight controller . I moved from frysky Teranis 16ch to Futaba 14SG which now directly communicated with A2's built in receiver. Would like to know if A2's S-Bus port can be used with Movi or do i need SBUS to PWM converter and use F1-F4 PWM ports in A2? ITs a setup for single operator.
    It will also be helpful if someone can tell how many channels MOVI M5 comes with integrates features, is it just the pan,tilt and roll or more.

2. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sandeep better to get a second RX to connect to the MoVI. You don't want a cable running from the S1000 to the MoVI as it will get wrapped around when the gimbal is being rotated.

4. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

thanks, have been thinking to connect Futaba RX and use the 14SG Mode B system which have the ability to connect to two Receives at the same time (still need reading on the how-to ) OR, use Connex Air unit to control the gimbal using connex ground unit connected to Futaba 14SG via trainer port.

5. Fabien Deregel

HI, there is much easier to do for this : simply get a mini FASST receiver ( with Sbus) and hook it directly to the Movi. Bind it on the 14 SG ( in FASST mode you can bind several receivers to the transmitter with no particular manipulation) , and affect the free channels of the 14 SG for the MOvi :)
    A good receiver is the R6303 :

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf100p.pgm?I=FUTL7661

Best regards,
    fabien

sandeep nandy likes this.
  6. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Thanks Fabien, i will order it today. I want to keep the stock spectrum receiver along side to swap between futaba (single op) to spectrum (dual op).

7. Fabien Deregel

Hi Sandeep,

you are welcome,
    If you want to get the maximum potential of your Movi in single operator configuration ( multirotor + gimbal), make sure NOT to use the " stupid" options of the DJI A2, here are the functions you will need and the ones you don't need for aerial cinematography :

- Channels 1 to 4 for elevator, aileron, throttle and rudder ( as usual...)
    - Channel for U function ( flight mode)
    - Channel for IOC function
    - Channel for landing gears
    - Channel for go home

Ignore the banked turn and home fence functions : these are not needed at all..

This will give you 8 channels for the multirotorand 4 for your gimbal :) (the 2 additional channels are digital ones, channels 13 and 14, don't use them).

If you want " smooth" tilt control with left or right slider on the 14SG, then remove the back cover of the 14 SG ( make sure to disconnect the battery first..) and flatten the metal plate OR the plastic small bits on the rotary contact area on the slider you want to use for tilt. This will be much much smoother.

Make sure to have different functions names hooked on the 14 Sg for each channels from 1 to 12 .. This will avoid funny / critical situations..

You will need to assign then the channels in the Movi controller application.

Warning : i do NOT know what is the maximum channel number recognised by the Movi system with Sbus. If it's 8, you will need to remap your transmitter channels fully +DJI A2 + Movi ( if you need some help, just contact me in PM and we can do this on skype + team viewer in an easy way, will take just a couple of minutes) . Sometimes it's easier to remap and setup all channels and leave channels 1 to 4 for the gimbal in the exact same way as you use on the spectrum receiver so you can swap receivers in an easy way without having to rewrite new config each time...

Back to your DJI S1000, if you want to get good results and reliability + less vibrations, there are a few modifications needed on this rig . For this, i did write down a small " tips and ticks" PDF document you can download from the attachments. it's for S900 but landing gear mod is for both S900 / S1000

You will need to reduce a little the stiffness + add a bit of output filter on the S1000 as the gimbal / battery dampening system + landing gears assembly is very poorly designed, if you have high stiffness values the S1000 might get in auto oscillation (most DJI S1000 / S900 are subject to violent oscillations because Z15 from DJI can NOT be tuned in gains and generate oscillations transmitted to the frames.. Only way to counter this is to lower the DJI A2 gains which is a pity ( if you fly an Alta just once, you will fall in love and feel the difference :))) ). But with good care and right settings your S1000 will give you good results with the Movi :)

Best regards,

Fabien

Attached Files:

8. Fabien Deregel

I forget to answer for the Connex use,

for that option, you will need to enable trainer output and set it up in 16 channels mode in order to get a SBUS 2 output on the trainer port :) Then everything works same as for the small FASST receiver mod except you will need to be "connected" to the connex with the trainer cord to use it for controlling the gimbal...

BEst regards,

fabien

9. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

ye
    true, that is why connex is my second option :) Don't want any wire to be hanging around. I just ordered the RX you mentioned which should be here by Monday. The DX7 came pre-configured , so want to have Tilt, pan, Tilt speed , GH4 remote shutter which will connected to the Gimbal futaba RX . I am using kopterworx damper for the Movi which seems to be working great for few users. Just waiting for toad in the hole release to come by tomorrow for easy swap between handheld and aerial.

10. Fabien Deregel

This will make a lovely setup :)
    I will check the maximum number of channels recognised by Sbus on the Movi system over the week end and will let you know of the setup,
    best regards,
    fabien

sandeep nandy likes this.
  11. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

That will be nice. I control yaw with the yaw of the craft, doing it from Day 1 of my flying , therefore access to pan is optional . Tilt speed, Tilt, GH4 remote shutter (probably needs to be connected in one of the PPM ports of the RX).

12. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Flew the M5 today.. all good except Horizon drift at fast pan and vibrations when flying against the wind. Used GH4+12mm .

13. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Hi Fabien,

Received my Futaba RX. Did you had time to find out how the s-bus works?

14. Fabien Deregel

Hi,

yes, i a not sure the Movi can map channels over the 8th channel, but you can remap manual in the 14 Sg ( then in the A2 also) the main functions so you get tilt control and Rc mode .
    On the Futaba 14 SG you can remap all of the channels as you wish so there is a bit of work on that side but nothing very hard, i will make you a list of the functions and how to remap them in the 14SG and the A1 for monday evening if that is ok for you,
    best regards,
    fabien

15. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Thanks, I will play around tomorrow as well.

16. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

Fabien,

It seems the A2 demands Fast Multi option to be selected. Now, the R6303 cannot be mapped to any channel because the Movi configurator doesn't have that option in the GUI.

It seems the only option is to get a Futaba RX for the A2 and connect is using D-Bus option , that way we can use Fastt 14 chanel Dual option to link both receivers. Was reading this article: http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/...d=401&osCsid=19d4f3efef71fbe4bba77cf60ac6b459

17. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

All good now .. almost. Mapped all the left sticks to A2 functions and Right sticks to Gimbal functions - RD knob being the speed control for both pan and tilt. Somehow the sliders, LD and SH are not getting mapped. In Functions there are only option for 12 channels, so is in Freefly configurator. in the R6303 RX, I was trying to figure a way to map the PWN channel 1 and 2 to SH for shutter control .. no clue yet how to make it work,

18. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

I am getting slight horizontal shake occasionally when flying the M5 on my S1000. Can anyone suggest where exactly the problem could me? Pan Stiffness , Pan hold strength or Pan window/Smoothness. Gyro and Output filters are at 1. I am using GH4+oly 12mm which is a bit light for the gimbal, but allows me to have better airtime.

19. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps stiffness/flexing of the S1000 frame?

20. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

I am not sure what your gains are at. I moved up my torque on my camera and got a little better performance yet.. I had the torque to low.