/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta log

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I was looking at the huge list of data from the Alta logs I was curious to look at the Esc temperature numbers I notice that the maximum temperature I reach was 62c or 143F closer to the end of the flight
    Q,
    what is the safe top temp limit we should stay under for the Alta
    Mid day flight,
    outside temp 93F, at less of 1000ft
    24Lb AUW,
    13 minutes of normal flight

Mac, Numbers reads the Alta logs

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've not seen that information published Jose.
    The comparable data I have is for Mikrokopter ESC's, where they started to throttle back when they hit 100C.

Andy.

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Thanks Andy it would be nice to know what kind of temps range Alta gets at 30 lbs between hot days and cold days, I can spect that because winter is coming soon, will help keep temps down, at 30 Lb or what ever AUW you end up that stays with in Alta weight recommendation chart

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Excel reads them, too. I haven't seen temps like that. What was the ambient temp at that time?

I wish there was a proper program that could categorize graph and display the log data. I especially miss the GPX import to Google Maps.

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

The ambient temp was 93F Miami

6. Tim Johnston

Tim Johnston New Member

Jose

We have had our Alta for nearly a week now, adding it to our fleet of MK and DJI copters, in this time I have been test flying and increasing the payload to see how Alta would perform.

For my own interest and testing purposes I got up to 15.2Kg all up flying weight, about 1000ft ASL and a day of around 30 Deg C. I achieved a 5.5 min flight with 2 x 10Ah Revo 25c Batts. Alta flew quite well considering its excess baggage.

And heres the story..
    After flying around for a few minutes ( Cruising ) all was going really well, so then came in and decided to try some climb outs, I did a full throttle burst for about 2-3 secs, all good, so I came down and did it again. This time the Red Led came on solid. I looked at the Futaba radio telemetry and it showed about 21.8volts. I immediately landed and connected to Alta with the App to see what was wrong.
    The App showed "Boot Fail" so I disconnected and reconnected the App.. same again "Boot Fail" was flagged. ( I did not cycle the power on Alta at any time during this checking since landing btw ).

So out with the Log files, I couldnt find anything in there about a "Boot Fail" message so I looked further, the pack voltage was ok 21.7v eventually i got to "Motor Temp" and there it was one motor at 91 Deg C another at 88 Deg C and rising, so I looked across at the column "Motor Hot" it showed the number 2 in the cells, so I had 2 hot motors.
    So it appears that the Red Led must have come on because of the Hot Motors, but it doesnt explain the Boot Fail message on the App.
    I also thought the Synapse may have reset in some way mid flight so I sent the Log file to FF to check over, I will follow up with there report when I get it.

Time for another fly, and back down to 13.8 Kg, all good. yeah I know still 200gr overweight but still trying to lose it ;)

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Tim Johnston

Tim Johnston New Member

Sure Gary, sorry about that.. :)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tim: Yeah, my first thoughts were:
    1. Rapid climbs caused a voltage sag (hence red LED).
    2. Perhaps there was a Synapse reset?
    3. If there was and there was an inflight reboot, perhaps that could account for the failure caused by a boot while the aircraft was in motion.

The bigger question is: How come something really bad (or at least noticeable) didn't occur to the ALTA while 2. and 3. were happening? I would have expected it to fall out of the sky and change its name to BAJO. :rolleyes:

Andy.

10. Tim Johnston

Tim Johnston New Member

Andy

I was thinking on the same lines, if the Synapse did a reboot mid air it would not have ended well. I have experienced "Brown outs with APM FCs before and that ended in disaster.:(
    I ruled out voltage sag as I was still at 21.8v when it happend and Alta default alert is 21v.

Anyway, FF got back to me after checking my Log file and said, and I quote,

"I reviewed the data and found nothing of concern outside of the motor that went above the warning temperature. The meaning of the number for the Hot motor was the number of the motor. It was motor #2 that briefly went to 91C."
    "The red light was in fact indicating that one motor went to 90C or above. This warning latches and does not release until the Synapse is rebooted. When you connected to the app, this was the cause of the generic boot fail warning. There were no data drops or reboots during the flight".

So now I know of two things to check if I get the RED LED during flight again. Check "Batt Voltage" and "Motor Temps"

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for posting a follow-up. Yup, the dreaded RIF (Reset In Flight) usually turns into RIP.
    Good to know the info from FF support too.

Andy