/dist/images/branding/favicon

Strong Vibrations

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ricardo Perret, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Ricardo Perret

Hello Alta Friends

Run my Alta with the Standard settings and have Mounted a Movi M5 with the A7s Camera
    (3.4Kg /7.5 Lbs -->M5 and Camera)

First i tried the Green Dampers, now the Red ones for lower payloads and the Gimbal is vibrating hard but this only in Height and GPS Mode. Im suggest, i have to set some Gains in the Alta APP.

Can somebody help me and explain which gains i have to set!?

(The M5 is perfect balanced, Auto Tuned and works very well when the copter is not running, i think, the gimbal is swaying up)

I tried follow Gains in the Alta App (im not sure are this the right gains for my problem)

Configurations->Aircraft Dynamics->Height ___->Vertical Stiffness/ Hold Strength
    and
    Configurations->Aircraft Dynamics->Position___->Horizontal Stiffness / Hold Strenght

Thanks for any Help

2. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

Do you have the gimbal set to airborne mode? and then is it vibrating while its in majestic mode? Does it also vibrate while its in remote mode?

3. Ricardo Perret

Hy Zac
    Thats a good point, i cant find any Settings in the App to switch the Gimbal in the airborne mode!? Thats the only thing on the Gimbal Side which i have not done! Can you explain where i find the Point in the App to swich the gimbal to Airborne mode!?

Thanks

4. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

Airborne mode is found under - Configuration, General, then Gimbal Application. then just make fine parameter adjustments till you find the airborne mode.
    You'll find that when the gimbal is not in remote mode it may vibrate vigorously, but once you turn it to remote mode the vibrations will stop. This is normal.

5. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

If its just the gimbal vibrating, and not the Alta. It doesn't seem likely that you need to adjust the Alta's settings, but only the MoVI settings. I fly a similar weight often, and the standard settings for the Alta work great.
    The movi may seem perfectly tuned on the ground, but when attached to the Alta some oscillations may be revealed. in that case I would find what axis is vibrating, and turn down those stiffness settings.

6. Ricardo Perret

Thanks Zac

Today i didn't used my Movi remote control, maybe this was the failure, will fly again with airborne mode an Remote conected :)

7. Ricardo Perret

....can you explain why is the Gimbal is not shaking in Manual mode? Alta has a little bit Vibrations, but i think this is okay...

8. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

It doesn't seem likely that not having it in airborne mode is the problem. All airborne mode does is hold the pan axis when in majestic mode so that the gimbal doesn't start to spin the Alta. (for landing and taking off) then switching to remote mode to be able to control all the axis.

9. Ricardo Perret

Okay, found now the Setting to switch in Airborne Mode... Check tomorrow how it works :)
    Thanks for your support ;)

10. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

I don't get any vibrations in any of the modes on the Alta. Try going back to the default settings for the Alta.
    It sounds like if its vibrating in height and pos. mode then it seems like your vertical stiffness setting is probably too high. (default is 11)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Lower your vertical stiffness in the Alta app. 11 can be too high with M5 and especially M10 gimbals.

13. Ricardo Perret

14. matt ragan

matt ragan New Member

Alta, M5, Sony A6000 with ultrawide. Movi is perfectly balanced and tuned, i have no issues in handheld but I am running into all these terrible vibrations. This camera is light and its cold out so I tried the orange vibration cartridges with no noticeable changes. I have default settings. The only thing I changed after this was vertical stiffnes to 9 and will test fly in the morning
    Can somone please tell me your thoughts

Password is Alta

15. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I ran into the same exact issue this week as I just purchased my alta. I have a M5 with Sony A7S that I used all year on my Cinestar 8. I flew the M5-Sony A7S all year long no problems. Bolted it on the Alta for the first time and got major vibrations (in the middle landing mode) on the ground. The vibrations were pretty violent.

There's no need to retune the alta as that wont help. You need to retune the MOVI to the Alta's isolation system.

As I'm sure you have noticed, the Alta has a completely brand new re-engineered system. In my opinion they stiffened up the Altas vibration system a lot because the Alta/synapse/motors/props are very balanced and tuned as a package and have significantly less vibrations from the copter that needs to be isolated to the gimbal. Not sure if you were using a Cinestar before the Alta, but if you did or system like it you will find a huge difference between how firm the vibration system is on the Alta compared to the Cinestar (or equiv) even with the softest rings.

So I found the problem to be that I needed to retune the M5/Sony to the Alta's vibration system. I suspended the copter on chairs so that the gimbal could freely hang from the new Alta isolation system. I then did a new auto tune as a baseline and noticed the numbers came out 5-8% lower than before. As I always do for Autotune (with 70% setting), I take the numbers autotune gives me and then take the vibration stiffness settings for each motor up to the point where they start to vibrate and then back off the number about 15 numbers from that point. Going by memory the pan stiffness is about 5 lower, the roll stiffness is now 8 to 10 numbers lower and the tilt stiffness is about 5 numbers lower. Once I retuned the Alta isolations system, I found 99% of the shaking is gone (it was pretty violent) and it now has just the slightest of vibrations on the ground when you have the radio in the middle position (ground mode). I find this much vibration completely acceptable for the short amount of time you are in this mode as it will be completely gone when you are airborne.

Try this and see if it helps, but remember the Alta has to be suspended so that the M5 is completely hanging on the isolation system just like it would be in the air.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you try the softer isolators? That might help you bring the MoVI numbers back up.

17. matt ragan

matt ragan New Member

Dave thanks for the reply, i just want to clarify what you mean by "ground mode" does that mean majestic mode? i am in the habbit of suspending my movi under the copter to do final tuning. I was about 75% on my Autotune but will try exactly what you described and get back to you. Thanks again

18. matt ragan

matt ragan New Member

Gary, yep this video is using the softest ones, I get the same with the teal

19. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

With Movi M10 and Canon 5D (at least for me) the stok gains were perfect with the green dampeners.
    With Red and M10 I had the same vibration, tried changing the dampeners but no luck, only the height hold 12 gain lowered to 9 solved the problem. Now with any camera/movi combo it work perfectly. But in my experince the black dampeners work well in every camera/movi config. (Tested at 10-25 celsius)

20. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Sure, as you know there's 3 modes, kill, ground mode, airborne. The vibrations were more apparent to me when on the ground in ground mode. Tuning the M5 to the Alta's vibration system took all that out for me.