/dist/images/branding/favicon

KDE 5215 435kv Coax MK Octo

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ryan McMaster, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

If that stator pin is not in place, the stator will freely rotate only being limited by the 3 power leads that exit at the bottom of the motor. I can see this movement possibly causing a short in the leads which will ultimately burn both the motor and controller. In your case the pin is in place so this wasn't the cause. The mystery continues...

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

FYI: I do not believe Patrick works for the company any longer. I recently had a couple issues with 4012's and I got an email from Leslie Koegler who says they now own the company.

3. Howard Dapp

Thanks Dave, Leslie is Patrick Koegler's wife

4. Dave King

Good to know. I didn't know Patricks last name.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Koegler. :) Seriously. I had email from him a while back.

Andy.

6. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Sorry for not getting back earlier - I´we bin super busy lately. After reading Howard´s post I checked all my motors to see if there where missing more pins. And it turned out that there was two more motors missing the pin.... I´m grounded for now :-(

And yes it was a bot motor that burned out. Making totally sense if the pin is not glued or pressed in, it can just fall out and the stator starts moving around. Just dropped Patrick a mail - exiting to see what he have to say..

7. Howard Dapp

Thanks for getting back to us Bo. You should also share this thread with Patrick. I bet there are others that experienced the same issue but have no clue as to what the issue was. Also since this issue is now public there is no way for a manufaturer to convince you that you're the only one with that specific issue. KDE motors are great little beast but there are some silly little easily fixed problems that plague some versions. I now drop a tiny amount of expoxy inside the pin hole to (hopefully) prevent that pin from sliding out.

8. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I replaced the motor and Esc that burned up on me. Test flew it once with no payload and everything seemed fine. I sent the damaged components back to KDE for inspection. I believe they are still in the mail. Patrick said everything is under warranty so I don't expect to have any issues with customer support, as they have helped me out in a pinch in the past. Interested to see why this happened.

9. Howard Dapp

During a recent shoot we flew a record weight for us, almost 40lbs and the 5215-435 held up just fine. I really do like both the 4014-380 and 5215-435 but as I said there are just a few annoying issues that plague them at times. If you know what to look out for prior to any issues you can make them ~almost~ bulletproof with a couple of minor fixes. I'd like to see a 375kv - 390kv version of the 5215.

10. Dave King

I get a lot of slope in the bell and need to loosen the collar press the bell straight down and retighten. Other than that they have been a work horse.

11. Howard Dapp

Dave, add a drop of Loctite shaft retaining compound to prevent the bell from sliding along the shaft...I use Loctite 638. I had this issue with the 4014 motors.

Dave King and Michael McVay like this.
  12. ausweger daniel

ausweger daniel New Member

hi guys,

sorry for abusing this thread, dont want to start a new one.

i just saw that some of you are using tmotors 4120. i also use them and was pretty happy so far, takoff-weight 13-14kg and hovering at about 45-50% with 17props. but now i have a problem. maybe you can help me. i crashed my x8 (not bad, just broken props) and now i wanted to change the bearings. i ordered the original tmotor ones (BE015) which are the ones for the 4120 and guess what, they dont fit, the smaller one is to big and the bigger one to small. with the BE015 spare-bearings you get 3 peaces but my motor just has 2 bearings inside. also the shaft should be 5mm but the shaft in my 4120 is 6mm. maybe one of you has got a spare-motor and you can measure the shaft and the diameter of the lower bearing, so you dont have to disassemble the motor ...
    i am afraid that im running some kind of fakemotors!

thanks

13. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

What temps are you seeing on your 5215´s ?

14. Howard Dapp

The 5215s run a little hot with heavier weight (Epic/Alexa) but not extremely hot, not enough to worry me. With a lighter GH4 setup they're warm. I'm not running the updated firmware on my controllers. Are you running the updated FW? If so, any performance gains? Heat reduction from controllers?

15. Dan Peter

Dan Peter New Member

I have a big problem if somebody can help me. I have a cinestar frame ( x8 .kde 5215 and esc kde 75hv ) i fly with alexa mini and movi M15. Because in my country is 40-42C degree now after 1-2 minutes one of the esc is going to i think "temperature limit " the motor is working but not at the same rpm. I can keep my hand on esc more then 5-8 sec and i think the temeperature is not more then 60-65c. all my flights until now was made at temeperature no more then 15-17c and all was normal. i try with diferent weights but the result was the same( sony or alexa mini)

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dan:
    I'm not sure what flight controller you are using but do you have any means for checking the current draw from the flight battery while you are flying? At first blush it sounds like you may be overloading the copter with too much payload -- but that's baseless speculation on my part without more information.

Do you have any log file data that you can examine to see temperatures/currents?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

17. Dan Peter

Dan Peter New Member

Hello Andy,

I use Dji Wookong and is not about the weight. i fly until now with the same weight and my flight time is around 8 minutes with 24000-25000 mah ( i use 2 x16A tattu ) This is happening also if i am trying to fly with Soni A7r ii and zisse. in manual the copter rise at 54-58% throttle. I will try to replace the esc with problem.

the same setup but another frame

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, it does sound like you've got a problem ESC, then.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert