/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting the Amimon Connex

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dylan Glockler, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Dylan Glockler

Just received the Amimon Connex and wondering if anyone has any tips for mounting - in particular the antennas. I'm running an m5 on the Alta.

Read through the discussion on powering the unit but if anyone has already done some R&D and has suggestions on mounting - might save some of us some hassle.

2. Ricardo Perret

3. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

I fitted the tx in a similar place to Ricardo but I extended the antenna away from roll arms. I found I had much better performance if you keep the antenna 5cm away from any carbon or metal.

4. Dylan Glockler

Nice! Thanks for all the pictures Ricardo. Did you make the diversion cable? I thought I remembered seeing it in the freefly store but I don't see it now. Nice, clean cable management.

5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Pete, could you please send a pic of your setup?

tx,m

6. Ricardo Perret

Hy Dylan, yes, i made the diversion cable.. its just an Y Cable...

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Any pics?

8. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Not very good ones I'm afraid but maybe you can zoom in...

Attached Files:

Ruben Moreno and MIke Magee like this.
  9. Dave King

Thanks, Here's I mounted mine last night. I wanted to have them as low as possible. I have only tested it on the ground so far. I just need to zip tie the wires to the plastic tabs for strain relief.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

10. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Good on ya, looks great! Fair warning, the mesh cable sleeve will pull and wear out the connector quickly on the ends and the movi goes in it's roll motion. Find a way to lock the ends down to something rigid, or ALL the flex will be there on the ends and the cable or connector will fail. :)

11. Dylan Glockler

Question for you Ricardo - did you screw the Connex antenna right into the end cap on the MOVI as it appears? Do you generally just leave it? How about packing it up (do you use the MOVI pelican?)

12. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

Has anyone found a good antenna conversion coupler? MMCX to SMA? I got a couple from a place called element14, however the coupler didn't sit snugly in the housing and easily came loose.

I'd ideally like to be able to swap the connex to a handheld camera or between my M5 or M15 for quick turnovers

13. Dylan Glockler

Is your plan to get a second antenna and just move the transmitter? It seems the antennas will have to come off anyhow to pack up in the case. Velcro might be ok for ground work - thinking of permanently attaching a rosetta to the end cap where it looks like Ricardo attached his permanently by screwing into that end-cap. If I can find the a matching rosetta that has a way to mount.

14. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

Dual lock for attaching the connex unit is fine for both ground and air work, strong stuff. Easily snap off the connex when packing down if required. SMA antenna's are quick to screw off, so would be easier then using a set of pliers each time to remove the existing antennas. I'd imagine range might be diminished, would need to do some testing.

15. Dave King

I flew the Connex system a couple days the past 2 days and the results were excellent. I was able to go 450 meters before I lost the picture. There was no noise in the system and no pixilization until the edge of the signal strength when it went out completely. I had a couple issues with getting the 2nd receiver to pair with the transmitter. I had to update to 2.1 firmware before it would allow it to pair. My FPV system is on the 5.8 Iftron system and I was thinking about changing it to the 1.2 system I just took off my MOVI. This way there would no possible interference of the two systems.

16. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I guess at the Connex price range and performance I cant complain much, but Connex could have design better mounting options for the transmitter and the antennas definitely the cable antennas have to be protected by sleeving them in mesh tubing

17. Dylan Glockler

It's nice that it comes with a light-weight micro-to-mini HDMI with a little screw to attach at the Connex transmitter side but of course the micro side is a right angle and the Sony a7s port-saver is designed such that the two aren't compatible. If only the right angle was the other right. To add to it, finding another light-weight, adequate length micro-to-mini is proving difficult.

For anyone looking into a mesh sleeve and wondering which size is appropriate, I found this worked well from Amazon for $11 for 25 feet: Techflex PTN0.25BK25 Flexo PET General Purpose 1/4-inch Braided Cable Sleeve, Black - 25 Foot

Attached Files:

18. Mateusz Hajdziony

I am using HyperThin HDMI cables - they are really flexible and of good quality, but are only available in 80cm lengths. I haven't found any other HDMI cables that are as flexible. Maybe we could ask HyperThin if they could make a batch of shorter cables for us? http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin/Worlds-Thinnest-Most-Compact-Flexible-HDMI-Cable/

19. Dylan Glockler

Nice and thin but I'm not seeing a micro to mini on their site, which is what I need to go from the Sony a7s to Connex.

20. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member