/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which Spektrum is best for M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Stefan Jannides, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Stefan Jannides

Stefan Jannides New Member

Just discovered the Graupner MZ-12 I purchased to control the M5 is not compatible as it's PPM and the M5 requires sBus - can someone recommend the best Spektrum radio for the M5

Thanks

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mine came with a DX8 and it's worked well. I think the DX7 also came with them at one point.

3. Stefan Jannides

Ok thanks Steve. And is that with the AR8000 Receiver?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It was a DX7s that was original shipped with the MōVI -- the real issue being the number of channels that you need for the operational control of the MōVI.

Andy

Stefan Jannides likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mine only has a Spektrum satellite. But you might need a proper receiver if you were starting from scratch. Mine just worked. But it came with the DX8 from Freefly.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Depending on how you want to control all the settings also plays a part in what you choose for controlling the movi. After using our movi controller we found ourself wanting to re-create the same ease of control when we fly distances further than the movi controller can accommodate. We first flew with Spektrum and a satellite receiver, but that combination gave us difficulty with range as well - in additional to lacking the amount of knobs we wanted to have. We now use a Graupner MZ24 with a GR24 receiver (comes with the radio). This gives us control over the movi for any distance we can fly our Alta or Cinestars. It has the benefit of having multiple knobs that we use for control of pan speed and tilt speed and use the small knob on the front for adjusting our roll trim. The set up is like this:

Left stick for pan
    Left knob for pan speed
    Right stick for tilt
    Right knob for tilt speed
    Front knob for roll position (super easy to level the roll or intentionally make it unlevl)
    3 position switch for camera trigger (momentary position for a single shot - on position for continuous shooting for panoramic shots)
    3 position switch for mode (kill, majestic and dual operator)

Setting it up like this has the benefit of using each stick for only 1 purpose and each stick will self center when you let go of it stopping your pan of tilt right where you have it. Having knobs for speed makes adjusting the speed for your moves very easy. If you want a slow pan you can push the stick all the way one direction and turn your pan speed knob from off until you get the perfect pan rate - same thing with tilt. By having the ability to turn the knobs to an off position (all the way left) you eliminate the ability to accidentally move something you meant to keep stationary. This is how the movi controller works and is what motivated us to set up for the same type of control flying longer ranges.

You can do the same type of thing with Spectrum if you get a DX9. It only has one knob (assign it to roll) and then use the 2 sliding levers on the bottom of the radio for your pan and tilt speeds.

Anyway, good luck with it...we have tried a DX8, DX9 and Graupner MZ24. Now that we have Futaba for the Alta I have noticed that the Futaba radios also have more knobs than the Spectrum radios too. They will all work with your movi - and all will allow you to put any control where ever you prefer to have it.

7. Michael McVay

Stefan: I just read your original post about having an MZ12. The movi will work just fine with Graupner. Your issue might be with the receiver you have. If you have a GR24 you would be fine - but the GR12 does not send out a SUM signal through a single wire the way the movi requires it.

There are a couple steps you need to take to make Graupner work with your Movi. First you will have to set your receiver to send a single PPM signal to the movi (on the GR24 it does this on channel 8 - SUMO if I remember right in the receiver settings). Then, in the movi app you can go in and tell the movi that you are sending in a Graupner PPM signal. When both of those are set up you can set up your controls to assign the control functions to which ever sticks, knobs and switches you prefer.

On the MZ 24 it was a little tricky to find the setting to change your receiver signal type. Here is a video that will help you:

I think we went SUMO8 instead of SUMO12 and use channel 9 or 10 for our shutter trigger for a Canon 5D MIII.

Hope this helps.

8. Stefan Jannides

Ok thanks Michael - that is very helpful! I will look for a GR24. I have a colleague that also had trouble with the range of his Spektrum and was getting a lot of drop-outs and changed to a Graupner with no further problems which is why I wanted to go that way. I'm also running a Graupner with my Cinestar so familiar with them.

9. Michael McVay

Excellent...good luck with it.

10. Stefan Jannides

Hey Michael - do you need an adapter to plug the 3-pin PPM into the M5? Can't work out how to plug it in ...

11. Michael McVay

Nope, you take off the little cover on the side of the movi and plug into the sbus port. Fits a standard servo plug.

12. Stefan Jannides

ahh ok, thanks!

13. Christer Dahl

Christer Dahl Member

I wonder, pan and tilt ch on the DX7s works like, after you release the stick, it still keeps the last position even if stick return to center, why does not the roll axis do the same, or is it possible to set it up to work the same way?