/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Josh Lambeth, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Almost 2 months ago we worked on a project that involved flying a 360* VR (Virtual Reality) rig from our ne ALTA for a new project by Reebok. It involved launching the copter from a small boat up a river in the canyons of northern Arizona. They released the video and it turned out pretty sweet! We recommend you watch this on your mobile devices so you can experience the video the way it's meant to be viewed. You can move your phone to control where the camera looks during the video.

Enjoy!

Josh

MIke Magee likes this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Awesome tech. Really well done.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Incredible. You can see the copter shadow. What camera were you flying Josh? And where were you when you were flying?

Also: While I am blown away by the lady's climbing skills, I found myself with sweaty palms. Does it help to be slightly crazy to do this kind of climbing? :)

Finally, I tried lifting up my Apple 30" Cinema Display....the video does not respond.... :rolleyes:

Andy

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Josh. Really great:) how did you attach the camera pole to the Alta. did you use the TITH? Doing some 360 soon and looking for mounting solutions:)
    Kat

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I believe Josh was flying an array of GoPro cameras on a custom mount that he (or somebody) fabricated, and the images were stitched together in post.

Josh posted a photo of the rig on his Facebook page a while back:

https://www.facebook.com/BirdsEyePr...120818016952/1108831985812495/?type=3&theater

11952025_1108831985812495_3449236774557004571_n.jpg

6. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

I was wanting to try this out with my 360 rig, but wanted to try it bottom mounted. The problem is how do I land if I do this? Any brilliant ideas out there?

7. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

How do you land? The same way you launched! Sorry, couldn't resist. Easiest but not necessarily the safest way would be to hand launch and retrieve.

8. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

haha, yeah I forgot about that step. I was thinking of mounting the pole to the gimbal with some counter weights so after launch I tilt down to make the pole vertical and then on landing tilt back up so the boom is horizontal.

Might be hard to get the balance right, but as long as I put some tilt limits in there I think this might work?

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Or use a bucket, just remove the landing gear. Depending on the length of the pole, you may have to stack a couple of buckets. Problem solved

10. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

yeah, the problem is you kinda want a bit of length to the pole to give as much of the 360 panorama as possible without the UAV getting into shot. And landing on stacked buckets could be a little hairy, especially on a windy day.

11. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Sorry for the absence. We ended up hanging the gimbal rig from under the ALTA and hand launched and landed... on a boat. HA!

The cameras were 34" below the copter.

Thanks!

12. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

GREETINGS Josh, looks like we'll be using this around thanksgiving. I'm told that the client just signed off.

SO, a few questions, one request -
    1. Why did you decide to hang it from the bottom vs the top?
    2. What did you use to monitor what the gopros were shooting, or did you just rely on your alta nose camera?
    3. How did you power on the Alta and get it initialized with the pole? Did you just use the bottom battery tray and then attach the pole with the tith?
    4. Did you need motion booting?
    And the request, (if you posted the details, i didn't see them) could you snap a few shots of the details of the pole mounts on both sides?

Thanks a ton Josh. PM me with your number if you'd rather talk than type.
    Best Regards,

Mike