/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor hot and smoking

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Pradeep Sen, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Pradeep Sen

Pradeep Sen New Member

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the Movi M5 and have used it for some small projects. I tried to use it today with a Canon 5D and a 35mm lens and after calibrating for the weight I turned it on.

The camera all of a sudden pointed up at a 20 degree angle and got really stiff tilt-wise, and within seconds the tilt motor started to smoke. It got very hot, I accidentally touched it when turning off the Movi and burned myself on the arm.

This behavior hardly seems normal. What went wrong? Is my Movi ruined?

Thanks!

PS. Sorry, in the title I accidentally said "Battery hot and smoking". I meant to say "Motor hot and smoking", the battery is fine.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pradeep you need to contact Freefly. Send an email to support@freeflysystems.com. Take photos of the MoVI as setup, closeups of the motor that got hot. Something is very wrong.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've changed the thread title in case other forum members search for this in future.

Was the tilt motor stiff to rotate after you powered the M5 off?

Please post again once you get more information on this issue.
    Andy.

4. Pradeep Sen

Pradeep Sen New Member

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I will post a video of this problem when I get a chance. I was just a bit scared to turn the Movi on in case this was bad for the motors. To answer the second question, once I turned off the M5 the tilt motor relaxed and I could move the camera up and down with ease.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Pradeep. The fact that the tilt relaxed after power off suggests that the bearing on the motor is still good and what you might have been feeling is the motor acting to prevent tilt from happening -- however I would rely more on what FF tech support has to say than my conjecture.

Andy.

6. Pradeep Sen

Pradeep Sen New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I went ahead and filmed my Movi M5 when it was doing this and posted the video on YouTube so that you can see what happens (set resolution to 1080p to see the smoke more clearly):

It happens slightly different every time, in this case when I turned it on it pointed at a slight downward angle with some oscillation, and the tilt motor very rigid. There was a brief puff of smoke that I didn't see (although it is slightly visible in the video at 2:13) and then after I move the M5 around the tilt motor begins to oscillate again and the motor begins to smoke at 3:16.

I will go ahead and contact FreeFly support as someone suggested. I'm not sure what is going on, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Pradeep

7. Kyle Jones

Kyle Jones New Member

Hey there Andy, My Move M15 motor is very tight even when it is powered off. What could be wrong?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good question Kyle -- I'm not sure which axis you're referring too but do you hear any kind of crunching noise when you move the gimbal by and? I'm concerned that the cause might be a motor bearing, but you should probably email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Kyle Jones

Kyle Jones New Member

It is more loose now. I think somehow the sides of the tilt axis were not lined up (one was higher on the carbon cage than the other) and that tension was causing the joint to "seise up." It appears to swing freely now. It never made a crushing sound.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....yeah....if the sides of the tilt axis are no co-located on the same axis, that will certainly cause Bad Things. Sounds like the bearings are ok too.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert