/dist/images/branding/favicon

Linking the Futaba 14SG Transmitter with two R7008SB Receivers

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's a step by step procedure if either receiver shows a solid red LED (meaning it is not linked). Both Rx should show a solid green.

For my ALTA, one of the two Rx I received was linked (solid green), the other was not (solid red), but even though you can see the ID numbers on the SYSTEM screen on the transmitter (Tx) as far as I could tell you cannot tell which of the Rx needs to be re-linked, so you have to do both.

Here's the procedure:

1. With the ALTA powered on, disconnect the S.Bus connector from both receivers.

2. The receiver between booms 1 and 2 will be the primary receiver as it has the voltage sensor connection.

3. On the Tx press the LNK button twice quickly, then use the rotary around the RTN button to select SYSTEM and tap RTN.

4. Use the rotary around the RTN button to select the left-hand LINK field and tap RTN. Tx beeps and displays "Linking."

5. Power up the primary Rx by plugging in the S.Bus connector.

6. Press the small white Link button on the primary Rx near the antenna wires briefly (less than 2 seconds otherwise you'll end up Mode change).

7. The Tx should then link to the Rx and the Rx's LED will turn green.

8. Plug in the S.Bus connector to the secondary Rx (between booms 4 and 5).

9. On the Tx, use the rotary control around the RTN button to select the right hand LINK field. Tap RTN. Tx beeps and displays "Linking."

10. Press the Link button on the secondary Rx briefly (less than 2 seconds otherwise you'll end up Mode change).

11. The Tx should then link to the secondary Rx and the secondary Rx's LED will turn green.

12. Press the left-hand silver Home/Exit button on the Tx.

Andy

2. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy
    Looking forward to hearing your adventures with your ALTA. Just a quick one on the R7008SB receivers. What are you planning to control your MOVI with and is there a way to get the MOVIs to work with the R7008SB yet in case you might want to fly single person and have some gimbal control on your 14SG?
    Kat

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kat:
    Just a few minutes ago was discussing this with Gary -- as far as I can tell, you can sacrifice the spatial diversity of having two R80078SB receivers and mount one on the MōVI -- both respond to the same transmitter and therefore channels you do not use for controlling the ALTA could in theory be used to control the MōVI.

If I was going to do this, I would change the R7008SB installation to rotate the antenna wires to a horizontal 90-degree V shape (more like "<") so that one wire sticks above the adjacent boom, and one below like this:

ALTA R7008 Horizontal V mount.png

It's the tips of the antenna wires that need to "see" the transmitter. The alternative (as we do on the Cinestars) is to arrange the V to be vertical like this:

ALTA R7008SB Vertical V mount.png

The V-configuration makes each of the antennae have spatial diversity and the 90-degrees complies with Futaba's recommendation.

This is an unofficial Experimental method of mounting the antennae ("experimental" meaning not even I have tested it yet :eek: ). Also I use 3M Dual Lock that has a very positive snap-lock to it and allows for the Rx to be removed for transport in the case.

The antenna V-holder is just two short lengths of plastic tubing (used in RC modeling for servo rods) with a glob of hot-glue holding them at 90 degrees. It's my first experiment with hot glue as a structural element so I may regret it.

Andy.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Andy
    Will mount as suggested when our ALTA arrives. Kopterworx do a nice little plate you can mount the rc on which spreads the antenna at the appropriate angles:)
    With the MOVI though, I didn't think it did FASTest. Is it possible to bind a R7008SB to the flight control and then have a second working with the MOVI and bound to the same transmitter?
    Thanks
    Kat

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

True re: antenna spreader but (a) Kopterworx is a long way away, (b) I had a hot glue gun that I was itching to try out. MPT. (Male pattern thinking!)

Re: FASSTest: That's a good point. Hmm. Page 04-P24 of the M5 manual suggests it works with "Futaba Satellite Receivers (SBUS)."
    I'm not quite sure I know what a Futaba Satellite receiver actually is. I'm certainly not sure whether the FASSTest (which is the bidirectional add-on to S.BUS as I understand it), would work with the MōVI.

Fat lot of help this posting is, innit?

Andy.

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

:)
    I don't think the MOVI currently does work with FASTest. We use the 14SG to control the MOVI when we fly 2 person but we don't use it on the same mode as FASTest mode but multimode I think as far as I can remember. What's Steve doing for his MOVI control as he is flying his ALTA single op? :)
    kat

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

PS glue gun method totally appropriate and very lovely when Slovenia is so far away:)

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm using the Spektrum DX8 that came with my MōVI. When I fly solo, I use "handheld" (majestic) mode, take off, park the ALTA in HH/PH, adjust the MōVI tilt with the DX8, and then fly away.

I find that with the precision of the Synapse, and utilizing velocity clamping, I can actually do some limited moves with the two transmitters, but nothing to make Geddy Lee jealous. :D

Rick Chen likes this.
  9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Steve:)

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

MoVI will work with S.Bus2 (FASTest) with the most recent upgrade.

Only issue to Andy's antenna design might be if you run a MoVI on the top of the Alta make sure you don't damage the MoVI when it strikes the incredibly hard hot glue antennas damaging the MoVI CF tubes :) Hate it when that happens....

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you use both Rx in a horizontal V (well more of a < actually) the antenna wires will just bend out of the way thus saving the structurally sound hot glue "thingies." :)

At least that's the theory and I'm sticking to it (but not with hot glue).

Andy.

12. Dylan Glockler

Steve, do you take off with the Movi in majestic mode? No issue doing so?

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yes, do it all the time. It goes like this...
    1. Power on MōVI but leave TX in "kill" (limp) mode
    2. Power on ALTA and go through pre-flight
    3. Arm ALTA and start motors at about 15% throttle (enough to hold the yaw for next step)
    4. Switch MōVI to Majestic mode
    5. Spool up ALTA motors and lift off.
    One of the important things is to make sure the ALTA and the MōVI are "aimed" the same direction so that the copter doesn't spin.

Rick Chen and David Schmidt like this.
  14. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Just like you have a front to the MoVI when you put on the handle bars, in single op mode you want the front of the MoVI facing the front of your copter.

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Todd Hillhouse

Todd Hillhouse New Member

SoI followed this step by step and it didnt work for me. I had the same problem, one green and one red. I did however, repeat your first steps with the second rx and it went green. I just had to plug it in and unplug it and plug it in again while the linking was going on. Just glad its working :) THANKS!!!

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Todd:
    Hmm. Do you think there's a bug in the process I described? If so, any idea what is missing or is wrong in my procedure...I'd like to correct it.

Andy.

17. Todd Hillhouse

Im not sure but I had one red and one green just as you described. My primary with voltage was green and 2nd unit red. I tried your method no luck. At random I hit link on the 14sg and during that just unplugged the cable to the 2nd rx that was red and plugged it in again and it went green. Noneless I am so glad to have it working. Spent all morning on it and then read your post and got it working within 5 minutes.

Only problem now is I am not getting voltage telemetry but I have a feeling I just dont have something set right in the TX. Flew the bird a few times today now that I got the controller bound. Thanks!!!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you upgrade the Tx firmware and, optionally, install the Sound firmware?

Andy.

19. Todd Hillhouse

I will check to see what firmware I am running but I dont believe I have updated it. Ive had the 14sg for maybe a year. Used it only a few times to fly a custom built x8 that we were triggering a light with.

20. Fabien Deregel

HI, there are 2 ways to link dual receivers on a 14 SG :

FASST Receivers :

- In the System menu, select FASST-MULT
    - Power up receiver, press the small link button on the first receiver for 2 secs. approx, led will blink and then will go green. Repeat for second receiver. Done :)

FASSTest Receivers :

- In the system menu, select FASSTest 14ch
    - Select DUAL , and check if you have G or F letter ( select F only if you are in France, G for other countries)
    - You will see on the next line 2 x LINK functions.
    - Power off your receivers
    - Press RTN on the first Link function( left one), the transmitter will stat to beep. Power the first receiver and only the first receiver. It will link itself after a few seconds and led turns green, you will see it's ID appearing right over the LINK word on the left.
    - Power off this receiver, go on the next LINK ( right one), press RTN and repeat procedure except this time you will power up the second receiver, it's ID will appear on the right over the right LINK word.

You are all done, both receivers are now linked.

For the Telemetry, it if is enabled, i recommend to setup a value OVER 1.0 S, as lower values increase sticks response time...

BEst regards,

Fabien