/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan angle sensor issue

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Brent Love, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Hello.

I have 3 radians setup on an AV200. They all work fine except yesterday the pan radian stopped working. All firm ware is updated. When I turn it on it will continuously pan to the right. I have to give a small input command to stop it but if you try to use the pan it will continue to just turn in what ever direction you give an input to. It cannot seem to sens its angle anymore.

Please help.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brent:
    Firstly, if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Secondly, can you post a screen capture of the Radian software's Diagnostic and Configuration window after you connect up to the pan sensor and do a Read operation so we can see the settings and the slew data from the Diagnostic window?

Thanks
    Andy.

3. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Hello Andy. Brent is my real first name. I have just added my last name now and yes it is my real last name.

Will post a screen shot shortly.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Brent: Thanks for doing that so promptly!

As luck would have it Andy Johnson-Laird is my real name too! <grin>
    Seriously, it's much appreciated.

Andy.

5. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Your welcome Andy.

Here is my screen shot. I noticed that some times my current angle seems to rapidly fluctuate between -35 and 35.

Attached Files:

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. You're on version 1.03 of the firmware so that eliminates one issue.
    Are you seeing this panning behavior with the the Cinestar sitting on the table or suspended by the battery plate so that it's free to turn?

Also, can you tell me what you have plugged into each port of the Pan Radian sensor, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

7. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

It is suspended and free to turn. Av200 mounted on the front of 800 size heli. It has input to ch1 from sbus RX, ch3 daisy chains to roll radian and ch4 has the pan servo in it.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Brent. So power is coming on port 1, right?
    Where I'm going is pondering whether there is some electrical noise in the system somewhere -- that +/- 35 degrees thing suggests that there might be noise.

If you gently resist the panning by hold a boom what happens? The reason I ask is that slow panning is quite normal, apparently.

Did you the panning issue when you're airborne?

Thanks
    Andy.

9. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Yip port 1 has power. If I apply resistance to the pan it stops but as soon as I let go it continues, If I give input to the opposite direction it then continues to turn in that direction.

It never had this issue before. It used to work really well.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hard to discern what might have changed -- have you changed anything since it was working? (I'm grasping at straws here!)

I've certainly seen the situation where you get slow panning if the bird is suspended and you don't apply some light resistance to replicate the flight forces you get if the props are spinning. But that doesn't sound quite like the same thing.

There's a couple of experiments you might try just to see if it changes anything:

1. Disconnect port 3 so the pan sensor/servo is stand alone. See if that changes the behavior -- especially that +/- 35 degree thing.

2. Disconnect the pan servo -- that will obviously stop the panning action, but are you still seeing the twitching?

3. And this is a bit of a pain, but replace the pan Radian sensor with the tilt or roll sensor, reprogram it to be Pan-1 and see if that changes anything?

I forgot to ask: are you using Freefly servos?

Andy.

11. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Yip I am using freefly servos. I have made a video clip for you. Just waiting for it to upload.

12. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Here we are, password is pan

13. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Some times is will go into a spazed out mode and rapidly oscillate back and forth as if it cant determine where it is meant to be.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That certainly suggests electrical noise might be an issue (basic principle being spazzing = noise).
    I'm not sure I know enough about this as I'm not a heli/AV guy. Let me email Tabb and see if he can spare a moment to comment as that's more of his bailiwick.

EDIT: Oh, I see -- the top of the AV200 doesn't roll -- sorry....disregard the statement below. Just my ignorance of the AV200....sorreee....
    One question I do have -- it looks like there are two Radian's mounted in the same plane -- one on the top of the arch and one on the left-hand side above the landing gear.....just curious as to what that's about?

Andy.

15. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Sweet thanks. If its noise then its quite strange how it never did it to begin with as I have not changed anything. We did 1 test flight with it and were just about to start fine tuning it then this happened.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. That's what's driving me nuts -- especially when it happens to me. Usually (for me), it's something that got changed unintentionally -- seems to be that more often than electronics failures, which is why I wouldn't go there straight away....

I'll continue to monitor this thread, though....
    Andy.

17. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brent,

Is there supposed to be audio on your video? I was hoping you would narrate so we could hopefully figure out what is going on.

You have a FF servo on pan with Resistor installed right? Can you make sure that the resistor is plugged in FIRMLY. Sometimes if they get intermittent contact it can make for bizarre behaviour.

Thanks

Tabb

18. Brent Love

Brent Love New Member

Hi Tabb. No there is no sound in the video, I did not narrate it. What I am doing is just showing how it receives the input from TX and then just continues to turn until I give a slight correction to stop it, If to much correction then it just goes in the opposite direction again.

Will check resistor in the FF servo tomorrow. Work hours are over here now.

19. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok thanks, if you make another video please include audio. It is very helpful when trying to deduce what is going on.

I have not seen behavior like this before on pan axis (other then the issues with PPM and Graupner on earlier firmwares) so I am scratching my head trying to figure it out.

Tabb

20. John Cunningham

Brent,

If it does it again, it would be useful to know:

1) What the slew% is in the main PC software window and
    2) What the 'current' and 'demand' angles are doing in the 'Configuration Window' as it pans.

It will let us know if the Radian is being commanded to do it, or is doing it itself.