/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic first steps....

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by James Milner-Smyth, May 22, 2015.

1. James Milner-Smyth

James Milner-Smyth New Member

So our two mimics arrived today and we were so busy getting kit out the door I couldn't get a chance to play so have brought one home.

To save anyone else my first half hour, you need to:

1. Update to the latest configurator App.
    2. Install the beta 4.02 firmware to the Movi to get it to work with the Mimic.
    3. Install the new receiver. On the M10, on the control boxes simply unplug the 3 pin wire going into the smallest outmost box (the spectrum receiver).
    4. Using the supplied 5 pin cable, plug the new receiver into the 5 pin port next to the 3-pin port where the spectrum receiver was plugged in.

It comes with a double sided sticky with a view to replacing the spectrum receiver, but since I'm testing I've just stuck it on to the rear temporarily.

Having done that, in the Configurator, under Remote Controller Config, change the Radio Type to Movi Controller.

Plug in the remote's USB stick battery and they should be already paired and ready to go.

Right now I'm finding I don't get panning when I first turn on, just tilt and roll. But if I go into /Remote Operator Config/Tilt Control Mode and switch it to whatever it isn't on I get pan control.

And then you can do this:

Steve Maller likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Give that man a prize! Nicely done James!
    See you down the pub... (I wish...I'm a bit far from the nearest...)

Andy.

3. Nicholas Stich

Nicholas Stich New Member

Look great! Can't wait for mine to finally show up. What's that nipple shaped thing on the carbon plate next to the right handgrip?

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey James! Glad you got it running.

When you have tilt and roll control, but no pan, that indicates the Mimic IMU is still booting up. It will boot more quickly if you just leave it sitting still on the ground.

Once pan is live, the IMU is fully booted.

Tabb

Steve Maller likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Awesome to see one of these out in the wild! Does this mean they're shipping? I preordered one from Quadrocopter...are they getting stock, too?

6. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I pinged Quadrocopter yesterday. they said they had expected a shipment this week but it hadn't arrived yet. Hopefully next week!

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

I received mine in the mail today and followed every step to a 'T' and can't get it to work. The MIMIC transmitter consistently keeps blinking green and the MoVI Controller Receiver blinks green, then is solid and goes back to blinking green (keeping that cycle).

Any ideas what is wrong?

Just to make sure, here is what I did:

1) Updated Android App Firmware to 1.63
    2) Updated Firmware on MoVI to 4.02
    3) Installed MoVI Receiver on my M5. Removed Spektrum receiver (3-pin) and used supplied 5-pin to go in MoVI Controller port on M5 routed down to the receiver port and stuck it on the outside.
    4) Turned on M5 and changed 'Radio Type' from 'DSM2 1024' to 'MoVI Controller'.
    5) Chose 'Write Settings' and then cycled power to both MIMIC and M5.

That left me at my issue above. I tried changing the pre-binded channels from '4' to '5', with no luck. I've also tried re-binding the devices per the instructions.

What am I doing wrong?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

9. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

Thanks Andy! I called the support number on the MIMIC reference sheet that came with it. I talked to Chris in Support and ironed out some possibilities, but still awaiting a fix.

It seems that the MIMIC transmitter won't connect to the receiver. I've found a weird work around that allows me to use MIMIC mode for the time being. I'll list it here just in case it helps someone else with this issue.

First off, my MōVI came pre-binded (transmitter and receiver) on channel 4. That wasn't working for me. I booted up the MōVI, plugged in the MIMIC to its battery and after 30 seconds the status lights still blink green with no connection. I used a small screw driver and (while everything still on) changed the channel from 4 to 6 on both the MōVI and MIMIC. Instantly, the MōVI entered into MIMIC mode.

Not sure why, but currently it works each time. Not the best solution, but an option till Chris and his team can diagnosis the cause.

10. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

I made a video of the issue, so you could see what was happening.

Rick Chen likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice work-around PJ. Weird problem, though. Makes me wonder whether there's a dodgy switch, or something else in the vicinity that spraying out radio frequencies on channel 4? But at least you're up and running -- and many thanks for sharing the workaround. Someday that's going to help someone on set with an AD or DP breathing down their neck....

Andy.

PJ Mozingo likes this.
  12. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I'm new to all of this (especially video) and started 2 years ago with a Cinestar 8 and a Radian 3 axis gimbal. We just got an M10 a month or so ago so we are still learning it and have just started shooting a lot of handheld video.

The MIMIC arrived this week and after just a couple of small stumbles it came right up in under 10 minutes.

The only real stumble was when we installed the beta firmware. I wasn't paying attention to the messages about resetting the configuration so when the MoVI came up it appeared to be "dead". After some time of fooling around, I tried an AutoTune. yippee! It came back to life. Having no gain settings was the problem.

First impressions are:
    • Yes, the MIMIC is cool. My primary videography actually thinks it's a chick magnet whenever he is out shooting with the MoVI. Women seem to like it!
    • Yes, we will be using it a lot for handheld shots
    • Lacks basic functionality for aerials and advanced features like
      • Trip a remote shutter to take stills and/or start/stop video. The GH4 can also zoom with the proper lens and shutter cable.
      • Control a Wedge
      • Perhaps a small control panel could be added to the MIMIC that plugs into the transmitter and then the receiver could have a standard PPM or SBUS port for the shutter controls
    Thanks for the excellent products and support!

Mike

13. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

I did all the steps James did and others and my mimic seems to be pretty dead. Transmitter blinks green forever and ever and never fully connects. Really frustrating.

14. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Hi Tabb:

Are the mimic and movi firmwares updated separately? Do we have to connect via bluetooth to one and then with the other?

15. Leopoldo Tamargo

Hello
    I have been trying since yesterday to make the mimic work with the M15.
    In looking at the forums, I’m not the only one with the blinking green lights on both TRx and Receiver.
    I tried the binding process but the receiver never went to either a fast or a slow blinking orange light.
    I am using Beta software on controller as well as the M15.
    Receiver and transmitter both set to channel 2.
    Configurator set to and written to movi as using controller.
    Mimic in Direct mode.
    In green it blinks about 5 times then stays on for a moment then blinks 5 times again.
    Using the Beta software on Configurator and Mimic and Movi. Receiver never blinks orange fast or slow when I press the Bind button on it. It goes to a solid orange for a moment or two and then goes back to blinking that code again. Same with Trx.

I try holding down the bind button on the receiver in hopes that it will blink orange but never does.

it goes orange but no blinking fast or slow. Instructions said it would blink fast then slow.

Thank you for any help
    Leo

16. Leopoldo Tamargo

Did you ever get any real solution? I think I'm experiencing the same problem and it won't bind or even blink orange, fast or slow.

17. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

My solution to the very same problem was reinstalling mimic firmware. It is working flawlessly since then... :)

18. Nicholas Stich

Nicholas Stich New Member

Make sure you have all the right beta software installed. It's at the very bottom of the download page. Also I believe in the app you have to select movi controller when doing the bind process. Not 100% on that but I had the same problem and was not doing one little thing but once I realized it I figured it out quickly. It was so long ago I can't remember exactly what the issue was.

19. Leopoldo Tamargo

Hello

Can you share how did you reinstall Mimic firmware??

20. Leopoldo Tamargo

Ok, this is getting strange.

Following the instructions to bind Mimic to receiver was not working.
    Never got a fast or a slow blinking orange light on receiver. Just a solid Orange.
    Tried 15 times or so.

Today I held down the bind button, first on the receiver until it went solid orange and then on the transmitter until it went solid orange.
    I released the bind button from the receiver and it first started to blink fast orange and then in a moment or two it began to blink a slow orange.
    I took the opportunity to release and then quickly press and hold again the bind button on the transmitter in hopes of it all proceeding at the instructions said it would.
    The light on the receiver ultimately went solid green and when I looked at the transmitter again I realized it was now blinking green.
    I then realized that the Movi had faced itself downward as that was the position and orientation that I had left the Mimic on the table.
    I pressed the button on the Mimic to reorient the mimic where I could watch the Movi while I manipulated the Mimic.
    It worked wonderfully!
    I was very impressed.
    I knew I had yet to power it all down and then back up again, so I power off first the Movi M15 and then the Mimic.
    I waited a few moments and then powered on the Movi and then the Mimic. There was no joy. It wasn't working.
    I powered down again
    I waited a few moments and the powered up the Mimic and then the Movi. Again there was no Joy.
    I was and am back where I had started.

Trying to repeat what I had done resulted in no success.

If something is Binded, shouldn't it stay binded?

Can something be "partially" or "Barely" binded?

Anyone with ideas?