/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any new Alta owners out there

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kat: Please email to support@freeflysystems.com. I had contact with them (even on a Sunday!)
    However, because of the National Holiday on Monday ("Labour" [sic] Day), you will not get a response until Tuesday.

Andy.

2. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy
    When you run your fingers across the damage you can feel a dent/indentation so I guess it is deflected inwards. As you say in your post above, the damage is at the contact point where the boom locks to the central hub.

See photo attached. Not sure if it is clear if you don't have the craft in front of you but it is on the lower side of the boom just below the prop holder.
    Thanks
    Kat

Attached Files:

3. Rory Hinds

Rory Hinds Member

Is the damaged to the booms that people are seeing, just rub marks or are the booms actually crushed?
    Seems like it would need a lot of force to break the CF boom and there would be very clear evidence on the Pelican Case - NO?

4. Dylan Glockler

Just received mine this weekend - had ordered the Futaba controller and receivers and it was all bound and setup - just had to install the receivers and antennas but once I did, I powered one receiver with the provided Freefly USB and was able to see that the channel mapping was done and correct (also checked with the jumper pulled and battery installed).

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Kat.
    I'm sure the image will help FF analyze the issue.

Andy

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Rory.
    On mine the carbon tubing is dented and there is a hole in it, see the first photo I posted for a close up.
    Kat

7. Rory Hinds

Rory Hinds Member

That is crazy. Its hard to figure out how this would happen in the transport case.
    Maybe this got missed at the factor while they were running it through the multitude of testing they do.

8. Rory Hinds

Rory Hinds Member

Did you find out the cause of the cartoon tube damage?

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

10. Hi All - I just sent a SB to everyone who had a unit that was shipped using the previous method. In that method, a hard drop within the case could cause the boom retention clip to impact the boom above it in such a way to cause the damage Kat mentions above. We are sending out a band kit that cushions the boom in the spot that imapcts the clip as part of that Service Bulletin. If you did not receive the SB today (via email), your unit would not be affected as the packaging has been changed.

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Denise.
    Wow....Personally I'm amazed that someone would treat the shipping case that roughly that they could damage carbon fiber like this, but, back in the Dim Times as a student I worked as a seasonal worker in a British Post Office sorting station and watched in amazement as the full time employees had contests to see how far they could throw packages marked "Fragile."

Andy.

12. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Gary, finally getting to this. NOTHING I seem to do gets me any info, although the voice is quite accurate telling me it sees 0.0V. Is there any chance that having dual receivers (in which only one has voltage sensor data) is part of the issue?

As you can see from shots of my settings, I BELIEVE I've followed your simple, detailed steps correctly, but alas, only zeros in the voltage department. Any advice appreciated.

Best, Mike
    IMG_3959.jpg IMG_3960.jpg IMG_3961.jpg IMG_3962.jpg

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Could be the dual RX's. I just checked my setup. RX1 is between booms 5&6. RX2 is between booms 1&2. Power lead, small red/black cable with a 2 pin molex is located between booms 1&2. It plugs into the 2 pin molex on the end of the R7008SB. It is the only connector on the same end as the antenna leads.

Shoot a screen shot of the LNK-> System screen for me.

14. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Same situation here too. All zeros.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Some things to try:

1. Disconnect the secondary Rx so that it's not a factor. That's the one between 5 & 6.
    2. Verify that the primary Rx has a green LED visible and that you have contact with the Rx from the Tx.
    3. With the ALTA powered up, if you can (it's going to be hard to do because of the teeny-weeny (technical term) two pin connector) verify the voltage on the teeny-weeny connector. You should the flight LiPo voltage present there. This is the second connector that must be connected to the primary Rx.
    4. Verify that the primary Rx has the two pin teeny-weeny connector plugged into the socket on the Rx.

Given all of the above are good, then, if you're still not getting telemetry, the problem is on the 14SG side.

Check:
    5. Did you upgrade the 14SG to version 5 software?
    6. If you want audio for the voltage to be spoken by Jeff's Girlfriend out of the earphone jack, did you then upgrade to sound firmware version 2.0?

You can get these files from http://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html (third and fourth item).
    But for your computing convenience, they're also attached to this posting.

You'll also need the FFS.exe utility (FFS is alleged to mean Futaba File Sysem....I seem to think of other words that fit).
    The FFS.exe Windows app is listed at http://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html as File System Utility -- which is why (duh) you cannot find it with Google search. It's the 17th item shown on the web page.

What you end up downloading is a zip file that includes FFS.exe and a PDF file.

Joking (and cynicism) apart, if you read the instructions in the PDF you can actually figure it out -- it bypasses the usual Windows mechanism for reading and writing SD cards -- you do the "mount/unmount" of the SD card from within FFS.exe. Also there is no "install" for FFS.exe, you can just run it from wherever you install it. Yup. This is quality software.... :rolleyes:

Oh....bear in mind that FFS.exe transposes the meaning of "import" and "export" -- import means to copy data TO the SD card. Duh #2. :rolleyes:

I'm out of town right now so I don't have access to the ALTA, Windows, etc. but Gary can correct the above if I'm wrong. (Please!)

Andy

Attached Files:

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Just a question. You have connected the power data cable to the receiver?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary's right: Ginsberg's Theorem** does apply.

Andy

** Which states: "Things work better when they are plugged in."

18. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I wish it was that simple. No flight power at micro connector.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. Gary's right. If it's 0 volts at that connector, then that's the problem.

Andy