/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing the MOVI with Aero Landing Gear for the ALTA

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dylan Glockler, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Dylan Glockler

I've been flying my MOVI m5 on a DJI s1000. I used a Toad in the Hole (TITH) adapter and simply balanced the MOVI on the handle bars using the stand then moved it over to the TITH on the UAV. Now that I have an ALTA I've mounted the Aero Landing Gear to the MOVI. What I've done so far is to pop the MOVI handles back on the gimbal with gear attached and holding it, tip the rig each way to see if the pan axis swings, then adjust until it holds.

I couldn't seem to find any info on this in the limited Knowledge Base articles and there is no manual for the gear. Is this method sufficient? I did read somewhere that you can hang the copter with the gimbal attached - would that be better for some reason?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I do the manual setup as you describe with the handle. Then transfer to the Alta.

Better to hang and tune while attached to the Alta. If you have the Freefly MoVI dock that goes on a C-Stand you can hang the Alta with the M5 and lets attached by hooking it on the handle. Works well with a heavy stand. Or simply hold it by the handle manually.

Dylan Glockler likes this.
  3. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

What is the flight time difference between the s1000 and the Alta? If you don't mind.

4. Dylan Glockler

I haven't had the ability to make a direct comparison because my battery sets are different. I was running a single 16000 mAh on the s1000 for about 10 minutes with a MOVI m5 and Sony a7s. The flight time with my ALTA and two 10000 mAh batteries is better - just received it and only flown once so far so no definitive data yet but I'll follow up - I'm guessing it's pretty close to the weight/flight-times graph in the manual.

The motors and ESCs are supposed to be really efficient on the ALTA so I expect a bit better performance than the s1000, which would be nice given the higher price point.

If any MOVI owner wants into the uav world and can't afford an ALTA I have a used s1000, modified to support the MOVI that's for sale!