/dist/images/branding/favicon

Competition for the ALTA XL?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

2. Steve Maller

And it flies, too. :eek:

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I don't think it's a heavy lift machine. The motors look like Tiger U8'ish; which are energy efficient and can work with BL Ctrl 3.0 with 6S Lipo. They draw very little amps but the thrust generated even with 29" props are at 4014 class.

I hope I'm wrong and again I hope they come up with a newer and more capable BL Ctrl which can handle big size motors.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Well said! I've been flying MK since 2007 and haven't flown their BL since 2008! They're just too sensitive and sometimes unpredictable!

MIke Magee likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

A veritable Großmutter. It sounds faintly like a Convair Peacemaker.

Andy

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

now how to transport that beast??

7. Steve Maller

There are photos on his page showing the arms detaching. Otherwise, you'd need a flatbed truck.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And avoid doorways.

Andy.

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I can see it now........Honey there's a UFO flying outside our house!!!

Holger just doesn't get it. I don't know any other way to put it. He's going this route because the U8 style motors are the only thing reliable enough for his existing power boards. Here's an idea, lets make some real ESC's, a better GPS and a flight control board that's equipped with technology beyond an ATARI 2600.

10. Andrew Griffiths

11. Steve Maller

12. Andrew Griffiths

Actually I'd say Freefly's pre release animations have always been the best. I've never been a fan boy of any brand but as a regular user of the F1 and K1 I have no doubt the U1 will take this "game" beyond hobby level.

13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If Shotover is coming up with a new product, it would be more than a hobby grade equipment. They create serious tools, and they perform pretty well.

Shotover U1 gimbal looks like a Movi XL sized gimbal. Since it doesn't have 6-axis stabilization, I am not sure if it will perform as its brothers (K1 and F1). It can outperform Movi especially on horizon hold performance, considering their experience on gimbals. But, I am not sure if the performance difference will justify the price premium.

If we would be just carrying a certain payload, we can create any multirotor which would carry serious amount of payload with an X12 setup. So, carrying Shotover U1 gimbal with our current available equipment is not a problem. We already get pretty good results with a zoom lens on Movi M15 with a decent cinema camera like Alexa Mini or Red Epic. We already have very tiny FIZ systems with long range HD downlinks. So the feature set that Shotover should offer has to be much more convincing.

What is totaly new here is their multirotor. One of the few things they say about is, full redundancy but I can't see how with 4 motors. But it's Shotover, they can come up with a really impressive stuff. We need to wait and see.

14. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

Looks like motors mounted top and bottom like a normal x8, BUT the bottom motor shaft must go up through the center of the top motor and prop to drive the top prop... Cool idea, gets the props closer together and stop them getting the camera view as much....

15. Steve Maller

Those props reminded me of something...oh yeah, the Tupolev TU-95
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95
    I apologize for my comments about Shotover. I've seen so many 3D renderings of UAVs and similar things lately that I've developed a knee-jerk reaction to anything that I can't see and touch in the flesh.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or the crash with Howard Hughes in the XF-11 with counter rotating engines in-line. One lost an oil seal, prop went to flat or reverse pitch and he landed (crashed) in Hollywood.

17. Andrew Griffiths

No need to apologize. I agree. I remember Freefly releasing an animation of the Movi on a spinning Cinestar and they were quite happy for people to believe it was real. Computer animated product announcements belong in the bin, along with vomit inducing phrases like "game changer" :confused: .

18. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Andrew - did you happen to look at the date we published that video......it was an April fools joke ;)

I thought between 'eco' mode and 'yaw' mode people would figure it out.......

T

19. Andrew Griffiths

Yes I thought it was pretty funny and it was picked up pretty quickly by users at the time lol. As I said it was one of the better quality animations I've seen and as an April Fools joke I thought it would be followed up by info to avoid confusing those "wanting it to be true". After all that seems to be what pre release animations are aimed at.

Anyway, getting away from the main topic here. Looking forward to seeing future products develop.

20. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah Miguel Salek helped us with that one which is why it looked so realistic ;)