/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending Movi Controller range

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Andrew Griffiths, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Yup - would work exactly the same for the Mimic. No difference.

And yup, we have a separate antenna array for the Tomahawk if we want to move it away from the Movi Controller:

http://goo.gl/65mJN8

But we find for the 50' gain in transmission distance, the loss of mobility doesn't make it a good trade-off.

We are experimenting with side mounting the booster antenna - more photos when we get a chance to try that out.

2. Paul Christopher Greene

Brilliant...thank you...very interested.

3. Paul Christopher Greene

BTW, I spoke with Paralinx at some length and the idea of using correctly (reverse) polarized mushroom antennas with the TH RX to be a legit potential solution to the directionality issue created by needing to move 360 degrees with Mimic...just FYI

4. Derek Cooper

Ours is the 3W version of this unit.

Not sure - again, ours is the 3W version.

Where is the antenna on this one?

Way beyond me now. If you're going to go big this one in Puerto Rico can be rented by the hour...

Arecibo_Observatory_Aerial_View.jpg

5. Derek Cooper

And what did they say? I have a TX / RX unit pair heading to them right now (TX just decided to stop powering-up) and would be great to get a mushroom RX arrangement. I've always wondered about that - we often fly the mushrooms on our TX cause they seem easier to position away from the camera in the clear on the Movi when we fly, but yet, the receiver is still using the traditional directional antennas. I'm not communications engineer but...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's highly directional and very, very hard to point at the MoVi. However, you could still have operational control of the MoVI in low earth orbit as it passes overhead.

Andy

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The traditional straight antenna (the so-called "rubber ducky") is linearly polarized, but the "mushroom" ones are, I think, circularly polarized. The net effect is that they will work together but not as well as if you matched the Tx and Rx antennae to be the same type. There are also two types of circularly polarized: right-hand and left-hand. Again, they work better if you get the same type.

Here'a a very good visualization of antenna theory if anyone (other than me) cares:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24749108&postcount=104

It's a little long and not really a bodice-ripper unless you're into antenna theory and trying to understand how to increase the range. :)

Andy

8. Derek Cooper

Then why don't they have mushroom antennae for the RX with Paralinx? Always struck me as very odd.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Derek, Paralinx uses multiple antennas to have a diversity send/receive setup. Reduces the mulitpathing and gives better reception.

But the also sell a flat panel array antenna for even more range at the receiver end. Noticed on their store site that they do have mushroom antennas, not sure which units they work on.

And then there is always something like Puerto Rico. Not very portable and probably only good for those flights at satellite altitudes certain times of the day in synchronous orbit. :)

10. Derek Cooper

Sounds like you know your stuff Gary! Sweet.

Paralinx mushrooms are TX only. We have the flat panel but honestly don't use it that often - really hinders the mobility when we're flying. Very rarely do we setup shop and just sit in one location - typically pilot and camera operator are walking following the flight. Hard to do if you're tethered to the flat panel. We usually set it up so clients go "Ooooh, ahhhh... that looks very cool," but don't actually use it! :cool:

And although we haven't tested it, the flat panel won't extend your range, just make your existing range *cleaner* from what we understand.

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update Derek. I remember seeing some marketing videos from Paralinx some time back and the claim was extended range with the panel. But even cleaner video at range is always good. And overall it is the never ending battle of physics and electrons. Range means power or bigger directional antennas.

12. Paul Christopher Greene

They said a couple informal tests looked pretty good actually. Will certainly buy 6 pairs for TH RX and test further...

13. Paul Christopher Greene

This is great thank you. As much as antenna theory doesn't excited me, having a reliable rig does and the pain of losing camera control after all the time expense risk and effort of getting heavy-lifter in the air is something i'm quite over lol.

Interesting that matched antennas may work better together! Buying 6 mushrooms for our tomahawk RX right now..

Might anyone know what kind (Left or Right Polar) the Tomahawk TX antennas come as?

Thanks again,

14. Paul Christopher Greene

They do...as an add on accessory.

15. Paul Christopher Greene

We have the Tomahawk direction flat panel powered antenna but without a signal strength sensing / auto tracking motorized head that follows UAV, hiring a grip or PA to "man" the receiver is something we'd only do on feature shoots.

I love the humor but have to say range / reliability issues have me looking everywhere for solutions including military hardware and custom rolled solutions lol.

16. Paul Christopher Greene

Again, my understanding for Paralinx (and I could be mistaken) is that the mushroom antennas can in fact be used on RX as well...

17. Derek Cooper

I'd definitely want to confirm that before attempting that solution. Just remember, Paralinx got rolled into Teradek and it's all new faces in my experience with them lately, so their knowledge on Paralinx tech may not be top shelf. Make sure you get a clear answer - i.e., in writing. Hate to see you blow a RX cause you connected the wrong attenae. I believe the mushrooms are only for the TX - thus the sold in pairs option. Even says TX in the product listing.

18. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

I have used mushroom and crosshair circular polarized ant. on a Tomahawk RX without ill effects. I had cloverleaf ant. on the tx as well but didn't see a big increase in range. It may have helped slightly when losing LOS but that is about it. The Connex, Tomahawk, and Bolt all use aminom chipset and use MIMO for their antenna array so they actually rely on multipathing (as far as I understand) so cp antennas may not be the best choice.

19. Derek Cooper

Can do you an A-B test Mark?

20. Paul Christopher Greene

Agreed. That said Sr. Paralinx support did say Cloverleaf (mushrooms) on RX worked pretty well and might be a solution to the directionality issue when using Mimic (i.e. when panning away from TX). I'll confirm and try this booster Derek kindly shared out as well as mushrooms on RX once I've triple checked with Paralinx.