/dist/images/branding/favicon

The ALTA Is Here

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

RTH and Autoland were simply amazing during my Synapse testing. Usually landed within a foot or so of the home point. And the auto land was gentle and repeatable time after time. I don't have the GUI in front of me but I seem to remember that you can dial in a final landing descent rate. Give it a try Steve, without the MoVI on board until you see what it does. Just don't let your landing skills deteriorate by using it all the time :)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In my case, my landing skills improved by using the Autoland when we were testing the Synapse. :)

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Think my Alta hopes are over for the moment, delivery date pushed back to first week in September which is too late for the job I needed it for, so I have to cancel and look elsewhere. I was buying through a big dealer in the UK and it seems that Freefly are putting their direct sales first. Fair enough in the US but in the UK it makes more sense to buy through a dealer for service and back-up. They aren't too happy either...

4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Pete, perhaps Steve or others can chime in, but I would anticipate 2+ weeks of config and testing with the Alta before you try using it on a gig, so consider factoring that time into your plans.

IMO.
    -m

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

At least two weeks, depending on your experience, ambient weather, time zones, etc.

This is a complex ship. Brilliantly executed and amazing, but still very complex. I wouldn't want it any other way.
    And I must say that Freefly tech support have been extremely helpful, timely and candid. They're also very grateful for the feedback I've given them. The ALTA is a fantastic platform, and will continue to get better as folks provide input.

6. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Thanks Mike,

Yes I was hoping for a whole month before I used in anger but that time has whittled away to nothing now so will go for another platform and may come back to the Alta next year if I still have the need. Although if it's really that complicated maybe I'm better off with something more simple, too much faffing about on set doesn't generally go down well! I'm trying to assuage myself here, I really, really wanted an Alta!

7. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Steve - any thoughts on a backup rig? Did you sell your X8? Just curious if you plan on adding to the stable (Does your Alta get a twin :rolleyes:) as aerials start to ramp up...

8. Steve Maller

X8 is long gone to make room in the hangar for the ALTA. I don't really have a backup, but there are some folks out there that I know I could rely on in a pinch.

9. Klaus Friedrich

For my madden flight tomorrow I won't use a gimbal as it is not yet refurbished. Instead I wanted to fly with the landing gear. Question where do I position the LiPos? On the top or at the bottom or is it irrelevant, or shall I try one battery on the top the other in the landing gear? :cool:
    BTW the position of the straps in the landing gear are too far apart. The SLS LiPos are shorter ;).

10. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Klaus

Lipos on top or bottom, the ALTA wont care. I usually do top since it is easier to get to ;)

11. Steve Maller

There is a modification to the lower battery tray to use spacers to bring the straps closer to the center for batteries like the Tattu 10000 that I use. Works great. It's a very snug fit, but they will work.

But I'm with Tabb...the upper tray is much easier. Just use the lower tray as landing gear. Don't forget to tighten down the Toad before you fly...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Klaus Friedrich likes this.
  12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: Is the "modification" a "Maller Mod?" :rolleyes:

Andyy

13. Steve Maller

Nope, direct from Woodinville, WA.

14. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I need this mod as well... should I just email them?

15. Steve Maller

Email support. I was sent the info and the parts unsolicited, and I thought they would include that mod with later units that were shipped. But maybe they haven't quite caught up.