/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK Warning if Flying two batteries!

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Gary McCready, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Saw this today, and thought it may be important. I've not seen any discussion about it, but I think the "active braking" pushes current back to the battery, which might cause problems?

"But the LipoDecoupler can do even more: It still leaves the regenerative power of the BL regulator flow back (when the motors brake) in the Lipo.
    Without this additional function active braking the propeller would cause a dangerous surge in the system, which would damage the entire electronic system. "

"In Austria this is already mandatory LipoDecoupler! "

You know if this stuff is important you would think MK would have an "Alert" and an email blasting out
    to everyone?? It was like when Graupner updated their Receiver software and I discovered by accident that the Failsafe no longer functioned.

Bottom of this link:
    https://translate.googleusercontent...ALkJrhjZHGjEAKRpJieb4pQKA-Jme1IWzA#post541697

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=879&zenid=4akagjqimrk3p40jlvdpgb6cu6&usg=ALkJrhhB5GZwDcnbCATrT5SmyMXmCfptlw

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Very interesting. The only thing that would worry me is whether this device could introduce another point of failure (or two if you're running parallel LiPos).

Going back to what I've said numerous times, this seems to be a case of a solution in search of a problem. I, like many others, have never experienced a failure in flight of a LiPo that this device would have prevented.

Would love to heard from any of our electrically-savvy members, and especially from anybody whose seen one of these devices in the wild.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think this might be a product produced to reassure European aviation authorities that if you fly two batteries in parallel (which doubles the probability of a single battery failure), then this device will isolate the failed battery -- thus reducing the probability of a single Lipo failure back to what it was before.

There have been several reports of LiPo's whose voltages collapse under load (e.g. right after takeoff) -- and this device would help if one of those LiPo's was part of a dual battery configuration.

Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Both of these failure cases have happened, but in my humble opinion, these cases can be blamed (oh, how I hate that word :mad:) on something other than the batteries. Usually it's the human who bought them, charged them incorrectly, or abused them in some other way.

Maller's 12th corollary: Machines don't make mistakes; they just amplify human mistakes.