/dist/images/branding/favicon

batteries for ALTA, connectors

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rolf Ableiter, May 7, 2015.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have no additional information beyond what has been written (by me and others) about ALTA. But their demo videos clearly show ALTA flying with large cameras on MōVIs, so one can probably infer that the payload number of 15 pounds does not include batteries. Nevertheless, we really won't know until it actually ships, which is supposed to be June. And according to my calendar, June starts on Monday. :rolleyes:

2. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Thanks Steve,

for someone looking to make their first major investment in a professional setup; I can't take the risk of ordering one of these until I know exactly what it's capable of...is a shame because at first glance it looks like a great piece of equipment and I'd like to get involved asap.
    I'll keep my eye on the forum to see how it works out; I'm sure there'll be some good info once people get their hands on these.

Cheers

3. Steve Maller

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everybody (whether they ask or not ;)) which is that you should not leap directly into a heavy lift copter until you've put in a lot of time on smaller machines. There are plenty of folks out there who seem more than willing to offer up themselves and their large investments as YouTube fodder with their disastrous early (and usually final) experiences.

Don't be one of them.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  4. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Thanks Steve,

I agree, I've put loads of time into learning with small copters, many hours of flight practice on private land (and some public land); in varying weather conditions. I've made many modifications to squeeze the best results from a limited setup and learnt a lot in the process. I must admit I had a couple of nerve racking (early) experiences which quickly taught me the importance of a calm and considered approach to all this. I wouldn't want to deviate from the topic of the thread but I will say; the gap between amateur/hobbyist and professional safety standards for flying anything in the UK is very worrying, there is basically no safety standard on the amateur/hobbyist end...I've heard some very depressing stories that go well beyond financial loss.
    On the other end; the UK Civil Aviation Authority and associated companies like Euro USC international have put in place a good system with lots of emphasis on safe flying for anyone who intends to do LEGAL commercial flying.

5. Steve Maller

Neil, sounds like you are on the right path. Carry on, mate!

David Schmidt likes this.
  6. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Steve,
    Did you get an idea of how easy it'll be to change batteries when the gimbal is up top? Looks like it may be a bit fiddly unless there is a removable tray or something.

Cheers
    Pete

7. Steve Maller

The hardware they were showing at NAB was described as "not final". But it's likely that there will be a carriage underneath the ALTA that integrates landing legs and a battery tray. It could be the same tray that is on the top in "MōVI under" config, but probably not. Fiddly? Not sure. Logic says it shouldn't be much harder than when the tray's installed on the top.

Tomorrow is June 1...hopefully all will be revealed soon. :)

8. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Thanks Steve,

Much anticipation.

Pete

9. Klaus Friedrich

Hello Rolf,
    concerning the SLS batteries, I use them on my copter and can confirm great performance - quality/price is great.

Below the measures of certain SLS batteries in European units.
    In case the Alta will come with EC5 connectors I will just build my own interface XT90 to EC5 as I also use the batteries for my backup copter which uses XT90.

Batterie Length mm Width mm Hight mm Weight gramms
    SLS APL 8000mAh 6S1P 22,2V 25C+/40C 167 65 53 1206
    SLS APL 10000mAh 6S1P 22,2V 25C+/40C 165 64 59 1377
    SLS APL 12000mAh 6S1P 22,2V 20C+/40C 180 69 56 1580
    SLS APL 16000mAh 6S1P 22,2V 20C+/40C 180 75 64 1946

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

11. Klaus Friedrich

Received some official information concerning ALTA payload weight,

Maximum Payload: 6.8 kg (15.0 lbs)
    PAYLOAD WEIGHT TOP OR BOTTOM MOUNT. BATTERY WEIGHT NOT INCLUDED AND MOUNTED ON OPPOSITE SIDE FROM PAYLOAD IN TYPICAL CONFIGURATIONS.

Maximum Useful Load: 9.5 kg (21.0 lbs)
    TOP AND BOTTOM MOUNT. INCLUDES BATTERIES.

So if you go to the payload limit you can fly with maximum 2 x 10.000mAh batteries

12. Steve Maller

Klaus, who sent you that information? That's very useful!
    But there are many battery options out there, and I don't think you'd be limited to 10000mAh LiPos. There are some 12000-16000 LiPos in the 2kg range, so you could use those, too.

13. Klaus Friedrich

Product update email from Freefly dated 22nd of June - I thought the Freefly guys put this information somewhere in the forum ;)

Can you send me an email with the link on 6S 16000 Lipos with less than 1.4 kg? Haven't seen a reliable one yet. The products I know have roughly 1.9kg for one battery.

14. Steve Maller

The Tattu 16000 LiPo is 1931.7g each. The Tattu 10000 is 1400g. The MultiStar 12A pack is 1525g.

15. Klaus Friedrich

Ah yes, but then you are above the limit with two batteries - when you use the maximum payload.

Maximum Payload: 6.8 kg leaves 2.7kg budget for 2 batteries, which leads to max 1.35 kg (3.85 lbs) for one battery

If you have less payload you can use higher capacity batteries of course. But then I would like to know if I have to change the Center of Gravity in the flight controller when I change position for example. Imagine that I have 2 16000 Lipos at the bottom and only a light payload could have some influence in the CoG.

16. John Woike

John Woike New Member

Steve, do you use the MultiStars? I have a couple 4s for a smaller rig and considering the 6s for a larger build. Thanks.

John

17. Steve Maller

No, I only use Tattu LiPos on the ALTA.

18. John Woike

John Woike New Member

Thanks Steve! Kind of figured that, no point in skimping on the battery when you're flying this rig.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

20. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

Steve Maller likes this.