/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta flight modes

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by alex ryan, Aug 2, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi, I just read the alta user manual and I was hoping someone could clarify the flight mode functionality for me.

The user manual says that in manual mode the alta will try to stay level when the cyclic (mode2) is at its centre position. Does this mean that manual mode is actually more like atti mode? It seems to suggest that in manual mode the alta will self level. If this is the case is there a way to put the alta in fully manual mode?

Have I just misunderstood and manual is fully manual and height mode is more like atti mode?

Cheers

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex not sure you what you mean by totally manual? In Manual mode, no wind or other disturbance (a perfect lab) then in Manual with the right hand stick centered it will be level and won't be moving. Left stick controls throttle and height according to it's position.

What are you wanting to do?

3. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

so when I fly my hexa in manual mode (using Dji naza m v2) if I give it forward pitch it will stay at that angle until I counter that pitch angle by moving the cyclic back.

If I give it forward pitch and then let go of the cyclic so that the joystick centres, the hexa will stay on that forward pitch angle until until I give it another input. The copter does not automatically level when my cyclic is at its centre position.

If I wanted the copter to behave in a way that it would automatically level when the right stick is at its centre position I would have to be flying in atti mode, not manual.

Its not that I'm trying to do anything in particular, just excited about getting the ALTA and trying to understand the functionality of the different modes.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Then as I understand your question there isn't a pure "manual" mode. The SYNAPSE is always in the loop to a greater or lesser degree. You can't bypass its stabilization algorithms altogether to do loops and rolls. Not really its design goal. ;)

alex ryan likes this.
  5. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Cool. Not really wanting to do loops or anything. The main reason for getting my head around this is that I am moving up from an under 7kg rpas to the alta (under 20kg) and this requires me to pass a flight test. One of the maneuvers in the flight test is to move the copter around an obstacle and land in pure manual mode.

6. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Am I right in assuming that 'manual' mode behaves the same as 'atti' mode on my NAZA m RPAS? does the height mode require gps signal?

7. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

By the way, how's your ALTA going Steve? you lucky man.

8. Steve Maller

I find ALTA to be highly maneuverable and nimble for such a big machine. Once you spend some time with it, you should be able to pass that test with no problems.

Yes, you could say that ALTA's "manual" is equivalent to NAZA's "ATTI". And NAZA's "manual" has no equivalent (that I'm aware of) on the ALTA.
    ALTA's "height hold" mode does not require GPS...it's based on barometric and motion sensors. So it can work indoors, for example.

9. Steve Maller

It's an amazing machine. Loving the portability, the visibility into its data and especially how well it handles. I'm really taking my time with it, because while it's a giant leap forward in the small UAV space, it does not fly itself. One can crash and ALTA in many of the same ways one can crash any small UAV (mostly by pilot error), so I'm taking steps to ensure I do not end up in Freefly's hall of fame the same way I did with my MōVI M5.

I have the distinction of being the first MōVI M5 owner to crash mine after I got my transmitter strap wrapped around the throttle when I was trying to shoot a picture of it with my iPhone. Sigh. :oops:

10. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Oh no. Yes take it slow.

Yeah I wonder about that manual thing. If the ALTA doesn't allow for manual flight I guess they'll just have to leave it off the test.

11. Steve Maller

The ALTA has a flight mode called "Manual". Just choose that and let the flight test examiner sort it out. :rolleyes: