/dist/images/branding/favicon

Charging case?

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by hugo burns, Jul 14, 2015.

1. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Hi all,

Saw a picture of a charger in a pelican case and thought it looked professional.It would be nice as we don't always have the option of a table to set are chargers up on and sometimes are powered from our Honda generator so would be nice to be able to have the cases on the ground but fully protected.

We have 2 Hyperion 720 duos and a power supply to power them,and would like to be able to house these in a nice case.
    Has anyone done something like this before?

All feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hugo

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Be careful to ensure enough airflow around the chargers, Hugo...the Hyperions get a bit toasty. You might even want to consider having a vent fan in the case to pull in outside air.

This might be relevant
    Looks like a Pelican case with the guts from Hyperions!

Andy.

3. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Wow! thats quite an impressive build!Not sure if i have the confidence to take apart my chargers though!

Yes ventilation is a concern so perhaps fans would need to be installed?

I have a efuel 1000w power supply....Is this adequate enough for two hepyrion eos720i duo's Andy?

Hugo

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The answer really depends on the amount of wattage you want the Hyperions to deliver, Hugo.
    And that's determined by voltage x amps summed across all of the charging ports.
    If the answer comes to more than 1,000 watts, then no.

Andy

5. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Thanks for clarifying andy!

I will post my results of the case when finished!

Anybody else have a case they'd like to show?

What does everyone use to store there chargers?

Hugo

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I forgot to mention that the calculation above is just an approximation -- the Hyperions are doubtless not 100% efficient so every watt they output will require more than a watt input -- I just don't know what the ratio will be though. It's probably something you'd need to measure.

Andy.

7. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Ok andy thanks for that!
    It's just to see if i need to buy a second power supply so i can determine a case size.

Thanks for the help Andy!

8. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

I was thinking of tying to make something similar to this...A tray for the chargers to mount to and there power supply hidden under with a fan pushing air in and another pulling air out! zzzzzzzzzchargers.JPG

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And with Sprite for emergency cooling! I like it.

Andy.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Howard Dapp likes this.
  11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

As Steve mentioned, Progressive RC has some very nice solutions. I'm using their Caged Threat which consists of an iCharger 4010Duo, x2 MPA 40a balance boards and 2000w 48v Mean Well power supply with 3 large exhaust fans.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

12. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Hugo
    greeting from leitrim, how do you like that charger, wanting to upgrade my charging system. i have a i charger 106 b and it sometimes takes over 2 hours to balance charge a 5 cell lipo. what kind of charge times are you getting on that setup i presume your flight batteries are 6 cell.

cheers

13. Howard Dapp

Which balance board are you using? Having a 'smart' balance board is key! With this setup I'm able to balance charge four 6s 10k mah lipos (3.8v per cell to 4.2) in 30 mins.

14. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Howard
    i am using a regular parallel charge board jst-XH/EC5. i use a dell computer power supply to power the charger, at 12 volts it says it will put out 6amps but when i am charging i don't get more than 3amps on the screen of the charger. if i changed the power supply do you think i could get better charge times out of the i charger 106b +? I like sound of the caged threat but its pricey

cheers

15. Howard Dapp

I'm not familiar with the 106b but I would assume that increasing the charger's input voltage would help charge times, that is if the charger is capable of handling a higher input voltage.

16. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Hi daniel!

I really like the 720 duo's and the difference it has made to my previous charging system is like night and day! I originally only had 1 and purchased another cause i loved it so much.My current copter is running on 2X 5s 5000mah. Of the top of my head i think it takes 40 or so minutes to charge these batteries from 20% on a balance charge to full capacity at 2c! These are a vital piece of equipment for me and well worth the money in my opinion!

17. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Hugo

thanks for the reply. gonna need to upgrade very soon.
    cheers

18. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

We use the Pelican 1610 cases with pick and pluck for our setup - we leave space for fan intake and exhaust. If we're running a full day of shooting, just pull the units out of the pick and pluck and we're golden.

My son recently mastered SolidWorks so we are going to start shipping off drawings to get custom foam CNC'd.

An addition we found works wonders - buy one of those inexpensive laptop fan trays that are designed to sit under your laptop. We plug the unit into the USB port on our eFuel and place our batteries on it when charging. The airflow does wonders for improving charging times when the cells come off the drone hot.

[​IMG]

19. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Also recommend re-wiring the RevoLectrix - comes with 12 gauge wire, upgrade everything to 10 gauge. We pump 20 amps into each of our Pulse 16,000 6S cells in parallel (40 amps total) heating up the 12 gauge wire. Pulse can totally handle the amps - but less so the charging wires! :rolleyes:

20. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Derek, how long does it take you to charge that 16,000 pack?