/dist/images/branding/favicon

The ALTA Is Here

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yup. I have a bunch of 'em. They work great. My experience with FPV in general is that the transmitters are generally innocent of most transgressions, so cheap ones are usually fine. Most all of the problems I've encountered with video transmission (especially on 1.3) are a result of something upstream of the vTX (power, noise, wiring or other issues), or something on the ground (wrong antenna, connectivity, power, or noise). At the ranges I intend to use my ALTA (<1km) my experience is that 1.3 will penetrate everything except solid earth (don't go behind mountains), including buildings, trees, and even very live electrical things like power lines.

I've used this same transmitter on my long-range bird at 5 km with a very clear signal all the way out and back using a VAS "Pepperbox" antenna. You can see by the PIP OSD display (beginning at 2:00 or so) that the video is nearly perfect. Sorry about the music, Andy. ;)

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Thanks, I wonder if a wider landing option would be available latter I can understand the way it is and that is probably a small footprint for packing it in the case by the way that case is awesome I have it with an Inspire and I love the size and build quality

4. Steve Maller

I can't speak to that (and I don't have any info).
    One thing I'll say is that the way the ALTA is isolated between the copter itself and the center core that holds the battery tray and MōVI is going to make for smoother landings in my very limited sample size. It's hard to explain, but the copter can bounce a little on the landing gear and that should dampen the landings in many cases. As to whether that will prevent the copter from tipping when landing with a heavy camera on top is anybody's guess. We'll have to see. But it should be easy to use something to extend the landing gear or even put small struts on 3 of the boom arms in case it starts to tip.

5. Steve Maller

First run-up of the motors after carefully executing all my pre-flight tests.
    (spoiler alert: also did a successful maiden with my MōVI M5...video coming soon)

Howard Dapp likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

בְּהַצְלָחָה!

(Good luck!)

Andy.

7. Steve Maller

First flight was a smooth as can be.
    Flew solely in manual, as I'm not 100% sure I have the channels on the Futaba mapped properly and didn't want to fiddle with all that. Took off and just flew around in my backyard for 3-4 minutes with the MōVI on board flying a GH4. The ALTA felt very spry but obviously I didn't want to get too crazy until I get more flight time on her.
    Can't wait to get past this break-in period!
    Here's a quick 20 second snippet...nothing too exciting. Just documentation. ;)

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

It looks good Steve!

I checked the manuals and AH and PH is controlled with the same pot and it looks like it is not to possible to engage PH and AH together.

Can you confirm this Steve?

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see footage of the alta in the air with a camera on it. I want to hear how loud it is and how tight the position hold is.

10. Steve Maller

AFAIK it's additive, meaning that the 3-position switch is 1) Manual, 2) Height Hold, and 3) Height Hold+Position Hold.
    At least that's the way it works in practice. Whether the 3rd position uses the same sensors for height as the 2nd position (which doesn't use the GPS) I'm not sure. It might be using GPS for altitude in the 3rd position, but I would bet it's not.

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  11. Steve Maller

I did post a little sample from the first flight with my MōVI, but I'm going to do more flying this morning.
    My battery charger just sang the happy song, so I'm outta here!:)

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I saw that but I don't want to see the camera feed I would like to see the Alta itself and how its moving and sounds.

Devin Card likes this.
  13. Steve Maller

Working on it :)

Devin Card likes this.
  14. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Steve, how's the Synapse with wind? Have you been able to run it with 10-15+ for wind?

Devin Card likes this.
  15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ozkan, correct that one control, typically a three position switch controls the Flight Modes. Conditions are Manual, Height Mode and Position Mode. So Switch Down (Manual), Middle (Height), Up (Height and Position). Height and Position are always together in this configuration. Back during testing probably 90+% of flights that I did were Middle position since the Synapse was so smooth. Position hold when I wanted to use the Velocity Clamp function to limit speed across the ground.

16. Steve Maller

It was a little breezy during my visit to Seattle to pick up the ALTA, but I was so nervous I can't say as I remember. o_O
    It's been very calm around here the last couple days.

17. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Round here tomorrow it's 14 sustained, gusts 26(mph). Just wondering. Thanks for sharing all this Steve. Such is the price to pay for being numero uno.

-m

Steve Maller likes this.
  18. Steve Maller

Here's how the velocity clamp function works!

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's also a visibility clamp, it appears. Clever! :)

Andy.

20. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Steve are the motors position flat bubble to the frame or FF went with the 3 degree offset.
    thanks