/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tablet Requirements

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by dave5mith, Feb 5, 2015.

1. dave5mith

dave5mith New Member

So we picked up a M5 his year and realized how cumbersome taking a laptop out on shoots was. Being an all Apple shop I picked up a cheap Android tablet from Amazon. It's running Android 4.4.3 and has bluetooth but Google Play says the Freefly Configurator App is incompatible with my device. I'm new to Android. Can someone help me figure out what I'm missing or how to get this installed.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I seem to recall that the screen size had to be 7" or more? But you may need to open up a support ticket by emailing support@freeflysystems.com.

Andy.

3. dave5mith

dave5mith New Member

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The one constant in tablets that work sees to be the Google Nexus tablets. There are so many variations on Android tablets that some work and some don't.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What I am about to write is a standard response from those in the software industry and is also singularly unhelpful but true: "It should work." Sigh.

I don't think I know exactly what the parametric requirements are for the app to work correctly beyond what Gary says.

Andy.

6. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Save yourself the hassle of wondering why "this tablet or that tablet; this laptop or that laptop works or doesn't work".... The 7" Nexus works perfectly and fits in your pocket. I got one for 159.00.

Scott Montague and Bryan Edmonds like this.
  7. dave5mith

dave5mith New Member

Sorry for the late update. Freefly responded and said you can download the movi firmware update from their site. In there is an .apk file that you can transfer via USB to the device and install it. I had to google how to side load a file. But it's now working.

Anyway in hindsight I should have spent the extra $100 and got a Nexus. It's a nicer device and would work with google play but the only app I need this tablet to run is the freefly configurator app.

In a perfect world Freefly would just ship an iOS app so I wouldn't have to carry around another device (laptop/tablet) for most of my shoots.

8. Riccardo Filippini

Riccardo Filippini New Member

Which is the cheapest Tab for Movi? I am apple user and I must buy an Android tab only for Movi work :(
    I know Nexus 7 is working fine, but it is 2 years old tablet. Waiting your feedback.
    Thank you. R.

9. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

The Nexus 7 I own is 2 yrs old and still works perfectly. Stays charged for days and works every time...
    I'm an apple user too but do not want to wait on Freefly to announce iOS...

10. Riccardo Filippini

Riccardo Filippini New Member

Asus ME70C-1B007A MeMO Pad Tablet could be fine? It is very cheap, only 70€ new on amazon. Any feedback?

11. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I am familiar with Asus but not so much the models and differences between them. I think I paid around 149.00US for it. Seems as though Freefly would hurry an iOS system to the marketplace but as they do not charge for the configurator app, they have no motivation to do so. For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone stays in archaic times with windows operating systems...:)

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

13. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Hey Dave, do you know where we can download that file? Did you have luck installing it directly?

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

15. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Thanks, Gary. I guess I'm not looking for the right thing? I've been on the download page, but I don't see the .apk file Dave was referencing.

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I just tried to install the latest Android app, and I get this. I'm running a Toshiba AT7 with Android 4.2.2 (latest version for this tablet). Previous software works fine, but I need the newer configurator for the 4.01 software, right? It looks like I have 4+gb free on the device (there's really nothing else on it). Will I be able to run the ALTA software on it?

What is the app looking for that I don't have? :(

Screenshot_2015-07-21-17-46-05.png

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve clearly the props on your helmet are mounted upside down and backwards. Everyone KNOWS the stability and compatibility of various Android operating systems is totally optimized for robust, downright Popeye strong, incompatibility. :)

Have you tried another tablet?

19. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Dammit.

I chose the blue tablet. I guess I should have chosen the red one. :(

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Usually it means that the screen resolution isn't large enough -- at least that's when I've seen it before. But in the AT7 is 7" just like the Nexus 7.

Did you already drop an email to support@freeflysystems.com, Steve?

And yeah...I've been meaning to tell you about the props, but I figured you were spinning the motors the other way from most people....(in so many senses of that phrase... <evil grin>)

Andy.