/dist/images/branding/favicon

How often do you change your motor bearings?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jason Herring, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

With maintenance on multi-rotors how often do you replace your bearings
    .?and where do you buy the replacement parts e clips bearing washers?
    Thanks,
    I have 2814 motors made by aerial media pros, they said they don't sell internal motor parts. I wish I would have known that before starting down that road with that CO., in the future I will only buy motors from a CO, that Carries parts for there motors,

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bearings from Quadrocopter or Boca Bearings. Bearing replacement tool from Bart at www.multirotorforums.com. Clips/washers from McMaster-Carr. The tool Bart sells comes with 20 clips. Only replace on condition. Sound will change. Perhaps after a severe crash. There aren't any other user replaceable parts.

3. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Thanks so much, is there a way to find out the size of the washer and clip, I bought Bart's tool and after changing the bearings I have a slight up down movement , is that ok ?

4. Patrick Thompson

Don't be afraid to swap out your bearings, and inspect/clean your motors after 60-80 hours of use. These are radial bearings, employed on a perpendicular load axis, without the support of a thrust bearing; they wear significantly faster than when used in their purposed application. There's no reason to ditch a bearing if it works well, either. Just note it in your service logs and continue the usage cycle.

5. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Sounds great, what about up and down movement ? Very slight, how do you figure the exact thickness of the washer and e clip?
    , are there company's out there that Cary replacement parts for the motors they sell, like a rebuild kit, for the next set of motors that will be a big factor on which ones I go with.

6. Patrick Thompson

Jason, I'f you've got "up and down" movement in the bearings, change them; be sure it's not from vertical shaft play, which can be remedied by shimming- though I'm not sure of your motors specs.

They look identical to the T-motor version:
    http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Professional_0912/46.html

If this is the case, then you can get spares from t-motor, or use specs to source your own.

If specs can't be acquired from the motor manufacturer, or just pop them out carefully, and take them to a local bearing supplier(look for "Automation Equipment Suppliers"), in your area. Don't bother with fancy ceramic bearings; a basic ABEC rated bearing for high RPM will do the trick. When you find a source for them, but enough for a few changes, bulk buys often yield significant discounts.

For installing bearings, get a cheap manual press from Harbour Freight, along with an appropriately sized bearing removal/press tool. It's a simple process that will give you huge piece of mind.

Good luck,
    PT

7. Richard Dobson

Richard Dobson New Member

In addition to changing the bearings should one apply any type of lube to the bell?

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

No need for any lube.

After taking off the bearings, I always clean the motors magnets with WD40. It takes off the dust and small particles out of the motor.

After cleaning, I put the new bearings in.