/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA Payload

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Chris Fanning, May 14, 2015.

1. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Can anyone confirm if the 15lb payload is just for gimbal and camera equipment? Or does that include flight batteries as well? I have a deposit on the ALTA and plan on using it with my dragon and m15 but don't see how that would be possible if the 15lb payload had to include flight batteries.

If the 15lb payload is without flight batteries than how much weight can the ALTA really handle?

Thanks in advance

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Chris, I think it's without the batteries. If you look at the introduction video, they are flying M15 with Alexa Mini and Arri Ultra Prime lenses, which is pretty heavy setup and on par with Dragon setup in terms of weight.

3. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Certainly hope so. Weighed my m15, dragon, and flight battery and was at 18.8lbs. This is without fiz, don't know of any way to strip it down any lighter. Wish freefly would clear this up as payload should be camera gear, gimbal, and batteries. Thanks for response!

4. Christer Dahl

Christer Dahl Member

Ozkan, how many min flight time do you get with your setup? and what packs are you using then?
    Thx

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Chris, Alta is not out yet and so I don't have it yet. But, if you ask my current setups, I have two rigs which flies Red Epic Dragon:

* Flat Octo with KDE 4014XF-380KV + 18" props and full MK system: AUW 13.5kg, flight time is very safe 10 minutes with 2x10A batteries.
    * X8 Octo with KDE 5215XF-435KV motors + 18" props: AUW around 14kg, flight time is very safe 8 minutes with 2x10A batteries.

Howard Dapp and Keith Colodny like this.
  6. Christer Dahl

Christer Dahl Member

Hmm, kinda ironic, 8 years ago when i flew heli setup with the same auw, we had the same flight times...
    We need something that flies longer.
    8-10 min is okay for run and gun shootings where everybody on set in ready and done in 5 mins.
    Twice the time makes a huge difference when it comes to stress and getting things done in one round...

7. Klaus Friedrich

As we are now know the specs I wonder which payload you are going to use.

With a maximum payload of 6.8 kg (15.0 lbs) (without batteries) one might think that there should be plenty of margin. But if I go for some professional equipment I will reach this limit very fast.
    Just an example:
    - RED Epic (or Alexa Mini) 2500g
    - Zeiss Compact Prime 900g - 1000g
    - Follow Focus with motor 300g
    - Gimbal (eg. Movi 15) 2000g (roughly the weight without the top handle)
    - Battery for Gimbal and Camera 1000g
    Which sums up to a total of 6700 - 6800g or 15.06 lbs.

Of course I could use smaller cameras or other lenses. But what I wanted to highlight is that using the ALTA for cinema like productions it needs careful investigation of what equipment you want to use. And bear in mind the values of the ALTA for the maximum payload are based on standard conditions and sea level.

AltaSpecs.jpg

8. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

8 years ago what camera were you flying with? How were you running 30 plus payloads with 4S batteries with 10 minute flight times?

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I would love to know what the alta weighs without batteries? Most people will be adding at least 5 pounds in batteries and have at least a 7 pound full loaded gimbal. Add 2.5 to 5 pounds if its a red or C300 depending upon lens choice. I think anyone running a heavy camera is going to be pushing to max 15 pound payload. I wouldn't want a motor to go south in flight.

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Ozkan, which controllers are you running with the 5215/435 motors?

11. Klaus Friedrich

@Dave,
    just click on the thumbnail, there you have the usual empty weight = 4.1kg (9 lbs)

12. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Also, add in a filter and Misfit Atom matte box, and a HD video downlink for the operator, and (hopefully a standard) FPV Video camera and link for the Pilot.

Our lens requests are: Cooke Mini S4, Zeiss Ultra Primes, Zeiss CP Primes...

I hope the payload is suitable for a reasonable flight time.

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I would remind y'all that the ALTA had a beastly sibling that was mysteriously hanging high above the huddled masses at NAB with a MōVI XL attached to it (see my photo below). Freefly are no doubt aware that there is some degree of demand for an ultra heavy lift machine. Enough demand for them to go the the R&D effort to build one worthy of their nameplate? And can they sell enough of them with the industry clearly leaning towards smaller camera systems? Only time will tell...

2015-04-13_12-29-04.jpg

14. Klaus Friedrich

Yes Dave, in my opinion the ALTA today is not yet sufficient for carrying full cinestyle equipment.

I was a bit surprised that Freefly took footage in their ALTA video presentation which seems not being made with the ALTA but rather with a CineStar 8. On the ALEXA mini website from ARRI you kind find some behind the scene information of "The Journey" which contains some footages which you also find in the ALTA promotion video. But on the ARRI website it is stated "Behind the Scenes - ALEXA Mini with MOVI M15 and CineStar 8 multirotor from Freefly Systems.

But don't understand me wrong, the ALTA seems to be a nice working copter - but not designed for cinema production. That's my opinion.

15. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Howard, I use MK FC 2.5 and Herkules III ESC.

16. Zoran Petrovski

Zoran Petrovski New Member

So nobody to get confused. You cannot fly with Alta, Red, ultra prime lens, focus motor and receiver, connex and batteries for everything. Its too heavy. We made few tests and we get 1 - 2 min of flight time with two 16000mah batteries. Batteries are drained so quickly thats becoming dangerous. Our next setup with Sony alpha 7s II is perfect. But in actual production we are flying smoothly with our custom made cinestar 8. Its little bit slow for action but the productions are adjusting with us :)
    I would be very happy if somebody can prove me wrong. Alta looks great. In 1 min you are ready to fly. But with lighter setup. So we are praying for three things.
    1. Lighter more powerful batteries.
    2. Lighter cinema camera from ARRI, lighter then mini ;)
    3. More powerful lighter ALTA.

Now our company is in 60 days production on one movie and we are using alta just for show of :)) because our payload is: coockie s4 lens rtmotion focus(just focus motor), red camera, connex idx small battery for red etc.

Its good PR move from freefly to show in every picture red with their alta but unfortunately is not possible to fly. Yes you can lift it but you must land soon :)

BTW the movi still rocks!!! And with the new update its much much better. No more freefly support conversations of "learn how to walk"