/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic is phenomenal

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Paul Christopher Greene, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Paul Christopher Greene

Game changing is a term thrown around far too lightly these days. That said, after 2+ of bleeding edge gimbal experiments and on set use, I have to say without reservation Freefly has absolutely done it again with this critically needed controller device.

They were smart to offer it as Beta given how complex the device is, the few bugs that still need squashing not to mention its incredibly complex relationship with the MoVI and ongoing refinements.

That said, any MoVI owner who doesn't buy one is plain stupid. Yes...I said stupid lol. I can't think of a single argument for not owning one other than the current beta-ness which isn't bad and will only get improve.

Bravo Freefly!

BTW - Heavy Lifter Drone operators be advised - one does not simply use Mimic control of a heavy camera rig casually. I handed ours to a novice on a Heavy Lifter drone e test flight this past week and the op got spatially confused trying to find her target and so swung the camera around so intensely - whip panning 360 degrees or more, it actually destabilized our craft for an exciting couple seconds before they stopped and we regained full control. Freefly - perhaps include a warning sticker on new Mimics reminding users that great inertia / G-forces can inadvertently be created on the camera / MoVI rig if not careful. Sounds obvious but yet here we are and there it is...

Jump in all...the water's fine :)

Thank you,

PCG

Senthil Nathan likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, Paul. I had not stopped to ponder how the sudden injection of momentum from the gimbal whip-panning could upset the copter (and more to the point, the copter pilot!)

Andy.

3. Paul Christopher Greene

2.5 of the more exciting seconds of the last few years. I'm hardly new to complex and potentially dangerous technical production methods, am extremely safe as a rule and even I was surprised though in retrospect shouldn't have been...fair warning to others...

Thank you,

PCG

Senthil Nathan and Steve Maller like this.
  4. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

I concur with Paul - terrific work yet again FF! Don't stop being incredible.

We were invited to do a demo for a college - flying the drone was exciting for them, but after initial take-off and a few passes, the novelty wears off. So we passed the MIMIC around and the kids went nuts.

5. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Since we have had the MIMIC at Rule Boston Camera only great things have happened!! This was a quick test putting our interns on the spot!

Can't wait to spread the power around the city!!!!!

6. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Nicely done Dylan - as always. Is that the 501 / 502 on the MIMIC?

7. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Derek,

502 it is! Still early with the firmware but I don't have many complaints. MUST HAVE hood when working in the sun though.