/dist/images/branding/favicon

TTL camera for a 5DMKII/III

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by MIke Magee, Dec 8, 2012.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

We were frustrated with using the live view image via 2.4 transmitter for several reasons, many of which I'm sure you are experiencing, like serious image delay for still shooting and other live view focus issues. Quadrocopter has made a very interesting mount that will use a small video camera with a 12mm lens. This fits onto the eyepiece of the 5D (one for II, another for III) You feed the output into the xmitter instead of the liveview composite out.

Here's what it looks like: IMG_1121.jpg

Another view: IMG_1122.jpg

We find that this approach eliminates the image delay when live view is used for stills, and also we enjoy full standard phase based autofocus. It's not perfect and a 10mm or less would probably be better, but our Camera Operator is VERY happy.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Was this a custom one-off mount or do they have that on their web site, Mike? (If so, I can't find it...)

Andy.

3. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Andy, how reckless of me. I was under the impression that they were going to stock these. Maybe not, as I couldn't find it either. It was listed as "MF ViewFinder Mount ModiFly View Finder FPV Cam. Mount" on my order.

Karsten will be happy to help anyone with it of course.

-m

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

No sweat, Mike. I'll email Karsten and enquire.
    Thanks
    Andy.

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey mike we used to use the same kind of set-up until we built our own servo switch and used the live view from the camera the delay is nothing but we had to use another tx and and a long cord for the a switch set-up.
    I will post pics later

6. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I thought I'd share some of the install details. The piece is "semi-custom" from QC and cost about $90. I think Andy is getting info on it. It's very well machined.

The 12MM lens I'm using truncates a bunch of the screen. I would suggest smaller.

The eyepiece is secured to the back of the camera by some hex screws that slide into the existing eyepiece channels. The screw-in-channel mounting works fairly well. I haven't lost one yet.

To get the picture "centered", it may be necessary to adjust the heights of the screws to tilt the camera plane. In the image below (top down), you can see that I tilted the camera to the left to center the 5D's center focus point.

eyepiecetopdown.jpg
    It may also be necessary to adjust the up/down tilt by having the screws adjusted appropriately. In this example, the camera is adjusted up a bit.
    eyepieceleftscrews.jpg

And finally, I'd suggest some loctite when you have it just right.
    -m

Attached Files:

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've contacted QC. It was indeed a custom creation. I've not heard back whether they intend to turn it into a product.

Andy.

8. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey mike this our set-up its just a simple servo set-up to get rid of the small camera that same as you had set-up.

Attached Files: