/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

Can someone kindly provide info/link to info on how to setup infrastructure mode with Teradek Clip, Apple Airport Express and an iPad. Or any other router if the process is identical.

Teradek have very good info video on their pages on how to do this with Ubiquiti Rocket M5 but I think the process is not identical with Airport Express.

Thanks in advance! I recently purchased Clip and I am very positively surprised by it´s small form factor and weight.

Edit: Found this and will give it a try:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It really isn't as difficult as it might seem, providing you have a working knowledge of setting up wireless TCP/IP networks. But if that is "above your pay grade", it's liable to be a little challenging. Their video is very good, but again, assumes a basic knowledge of network admin stuff.

3. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Unfortunately that is not one of my many strengths
    Anybody would be willing to help me out via Skype for example?

Can compensate via Paypal as needed.

PM if interested. Thanks!

4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I did as instructed in the video. I got stuck to browse for wifi networks. The Clip was unable to find any wireless networks although my Mac sees six of them plus the Clip´s own. I tried maybe five times. Frustrated. Any ideas?

Edit: Updated Clip to it´s newest firmware to no avail. Also tried factory reset which seems to take forever. My MacBook Pro still sees six wifi networks including the one I am trying to connect my Clip to.

This is the result I get over and over again: result.png

5. Michael Gailing

Tuukka,

Did you send an email to Support@teradek.com? They'll be able to get you up and running in no time.

Have you also checked the Clip is operating on the same band as your wireless network? Sometimes one will be set to 2.4GHz while the other at 5GHz.

6. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Got it working. The problem indeed was that Clip was set to 5GHz band by default and all the wifi networks were 2.4GHz in the vicinity.
    This is wise because 2.4GHz might cause problems with 2.4GHz transmitters but it would be good if this was mentioned in the instructions. Also it should be mentioned that although possible, 2.4GHz should not be used with 2.4GHz radio control. This is basic for most of us but perhaps not everyone.

Did a test flight last night with a Ubiquiti Rocket M5 and an iPad of the newest generation. The range was good but the image was laggy and choppy for at least half of the time. There were numerous freeze frames from one to two seconds.

Will be testing more but anyone have any hints on how to improve this? I think the promised three frames lag is OK but the freeze frames make it not very useable if it can't be fixed.

7. Michael Gailing

Glad you got it worked out!

The lag could be due to a couple of factors:

1. Do you have the buffer and quality settings on Auto or Manual?
    2. Sometimes if you hold your iPad certain ways, it will block the WiFi antennas on the tablet. We are creating a best practices video to avoid this.
    3. Try scanning your area with a free WiFi scanner app on your phone. This will show you what 5GHz channels are clear. Once you know, manually set the Ubiquiti Rocket to operate on the channel least used in your area.

As always, our Support team is ready to help and can help you get the most out of your device (plus, its free!). Feel free to reach out to them for more info: support@teradek.com

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Michael

1. Both on auto
    2. Would like to see that kind of video indeed!
    3. Did not find an app from app store that lists wifi channels/frequencies. Can you be more specific about the app thanks?

Oh, BTW, we are shooting a big outdoor concert with up to 40 000 people present next week.
    So there will be the same amount of mobile/smart phones around. Does Clip have a change in this environment? Or should I stick to trusty 5.8GHz analog video link?

9. Michael Gailing

App-wise, check something like this out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-scanner/id411680127?mt=12

Just make sure when youre in a crowd like that that youre on a channel with the least interference. You're also going to need a robust router to ensure a stronger signal.

10. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I have owned the Clip a little less than a year now. All in all I must say I am quite disappointed at the usability of the product.

Positives: The range is OK with the recommended Ubiquiti router. The image quality is OK too although it seems heavily compressed from time to time.

Negatives: It is almost every single time a total nightmare to get the image link working. Either the iPad app says "no video" or it finds the video signal but does not display image. After that it endless re-booting of the iPad app/Clip, endless re-mounting of the HDMI cable into the Clip and/or camera and sometimes switching the wifi on/off from the iPad.

Needless to say, this is very time consuming and makes you look extremely bad professionally on a time critical film set. It is also highly frustrating as everything has been done by the book.

By the book I mean we have the recommended router, the linking of the router has been made as it was done on the instructional video by Teradek and we have the newest gen iPad. Cameras have been Red Epic and Canon 5D 3 with equally bad results. All the possible resolution/refresh rates have been tried on the Red.

We have been forced to build a special two-battery system to power the Red and Clip on our aerial rig because we cannot afford to lose the connection once it has been established. It would be impossible to operate at all with the Clip if this system was not in use.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the linking procedure? Or good experiences on other UAV HD links that are not horribly expensive or heavy?

11. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Couldn't agree more Tuukka, we always had similar frustrating issues getting the link going and if you ever cycled power on anything, i.E change a battery on the router or the clip, it would take forever to re-establish the connection, all while the client looks on wondering why they're paying you to be here.

I think the new Ammimon Connex looks promising for aerial applications and at a crazy cheap price point, cannot comment on how it actually performs in the real world so thats yet to be proven, might have as many issues as the DJI Lightbridge or could be really great.

Parralinx Tomahawk with a patch antenna setup is still the best i have seen if you want to throw down some serious cash.

12. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Nice I´m not alone Toby! And you having identical problems proves I have not made a mistake in configuring the unit.
    Anyone from Teradek interested in commenting on this issue?

13. Michael comissiong

Teradek clip is a waste of time if looking for any kind of range over 50 ft the only thing I can use mine for is to send a signal from a ground station to a larger video screen , within the vicinity .

14. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

You probably don't use a router and Clip in infrastructure mode? In that mode and with router the range is OK. 200-400 metres in my case. Other than that it is abysmal indeed.

15. Wesssmith

Wesssmith New Member

Hi Michael.
    What ever happened to teradek range extender, is it still in production. Also any one out there successfully powered ubiquiti with a lipo? Thanks

16. Michael Gailing

Hey Wes,

Due to a couple of reasons, the range extender was cancelled, as was any future development on Clip. This is a rather big let down for us all, but the business case for supporting the product into the future was just not there.

I no longer work for Teradek - i've moved on to their parent company the Vitec Group. If you have any specific questions, shoot an email to Andrew.ng@teradek.com who is now running marketing over there.

Cheers,
    Mike