/dist/images/branding/favicon

batteries for ALTA, connectors

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rolf Ableiter, May 7, 2015.

1. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

2. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Hello,

Conectors is something you can change in matter or 10 sec and will probably not void any warranty or something.
    Othervise until the alta comes to shops or full details are released its just a good guess.

3. Rolf Ableiter

right - but this is a freefly forum and may some guys of freefly could answer the question about the connectors and batterie size.
    June is coming quick and so i could order my batteries just in time with the right connectors...
    I don't want to change anything at this copter, btw.
    i really don't want to solder anything at a RTF Copter from freefly. The reason why i ordered the ALTA is that it isn't a DIY copter build with parts from different companys and with no support at the end...
    to let the customer solder anything at the heart of a flying machine this size isn't a good idea...
    i really hope the DIY time is over with the ALTA.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The videos and photos I've seen clearly show the ALTA using EC5 connectors. As for size, that's TBD (to be determined) at this point as far as I know because I haven't seen the final production version of the battery tray. I did ask if the 10,000Ah Tattu batteries I have will work and they said "yes". They're using the old 9000 mAh Freefly batteries that are more flat, but they know most of us are using batteries like the Tattu. I'd guess you'll be OK with the batteries you linked to, but it's unlikely that Freefly will use XT90. If you can order those batteries with EC5 I'd do that.

5. Rolf Ableiter

yeah - thank you! i think i can order the batteries with the EC5. i will order more than 10 of these and so i think this is no problem.

6. Steve Maller

7. Rolf Ableiter

8. Steve Maller

"often wrong, never in doubt" :confused:

Leopoldo Tamargo likes this.
  9. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Its not a problem to change the connector on batteries. And then it does not matter. THe only thing is that the size will fit.

10. Aj White

Aj White Member

They mentioned to me at NAB they were testing some batteries out that should be available from them or QC sometime soon. I wish I had better memory but thats all I remember!

11. Daniel Doren Huerta

More important than the connectors I think it would very importat to know the voltage of the battery 4S or 6S?
    Freefly mentioned flight time with a given loading weight... I would like to know:
    1. which will be the voltage for that, and how many mAh I need to achieve this?
    and of course we will assume that the flight will take place at sea level. With this information you can see which batteries must be purchased.
    :)

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

From what I have heard and read, the ALTA is 6s and their flight times were using 2x 9000mAh batteries.

13. Steve Maller

Yes, that is true (as I wrote above). 6S.

14. Daniel Doren Huerta

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel FF had/has both 4s and 6s 9000 batteries. Form factor was the same with the 6s being slightly thicker.

16. Daniel Doren Huerta

Gary
    thanks for the info, the truth is that I have never seen the 6S version, in freefly store I could not find any of these batteries, and the only part where I found them was at Quadrocopter, Do you know where I could buy these?
    Thanks for the help and the clarification.
    Best Regards to all

17. Steve Maller

I'm not sure if Freefly will continue to sell branded FF batteries. They've been gone for quite some time. There are many good options out there. Personally I'm a fan of Tattu (aka GensAce), and Quadrocopter's Quadropower and Pulse LiPos are very good, too.

18. Daniel Doren Huerta

Thanks Steve,
    unfortunately in Chile I could not buy these batteries, and buy them outside the country is almost impossible to get the to be send...for now the only ones I am able to get are Thunder Power RC, They are excellent, and they are the only ones that I know that can travel by plane as dangerous goods in cargo aircraft, they are the only ones 6S batteries that fulfill IATA restrictions, since they can be disconnecting and become inactive¡, and comply with the restrictions of voltage, amperage etc
    The only bad thing is that they only reach 7,700Ah and therefore my flights are relatively short in some cases. for example with my flights
    above sea level over 3000mts, or heavy cameras.
    If you do not know chile you can see the northern region on this video

Best Regards

19. Steve Maller

I hope that changes for you!

20. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hi all,

can anyone advise on what constitutes 'payload' when it comes to Freefly UAV's?
    More specifically; does the weight of the battery need to be considered when deciding which gimbal and Camera/lenses the Freefly Alta will carry?
    Knowing exactly the size/power/weight of compatible batteries (in order to fulfil the 15ib payload - 11 minute flight time which is being advised) seems like a key piece of information that is missing from online conversations and any Freefly announcements. I've asked Freefly directly; but have had no reply.
    If batteries need to be included as part of the payload (at this point; I'm assuming they do) from my calculations it is going to be a struggle mounting anything bigger than a DSLR with either a Movi M5 or M15 (Freefly don't advise the M10 - "Due to the non-keyed/double tube design of the M10, mounting the M10 on top of the ALTA is not recommended").

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers