/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which lens for 5Dmkii or 5Dmkii

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by John Gore, Dec 7, 2012.

1. John Gore

John Gore Member

I have been flying cx760 for video, and 7D with 10-22 for stills. But will be putting my trusty 5Dmkii up in the air soon, and looking at various lens options. I already have a few L lenses, but too big to fly with. Also have 2 that I will test the 24-105 f4 IS which is pretty wide at 24mm (ideal wide for video IMHO, although wider lenses are of course available) , and will test the 8-15 f4 (fisheye should be interesting).

I will also look at buying a dedicated prime like a 28 f1.8 or 35mm f2, or even 35 f1.4 L or 24 f1.4 L . Problem with all these lenses is that they do not have any IS (usually do not need it for such wide angle lenses), but for use on flying multirotor IS may be nice to have. In which case, the lens I already own is the widest IS L lens I know of (24mm with IS should be sweet).

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

See my response on the other thread: Unsure which camera??

WRT certain zooms like the 24-105 (and the 24-70), I would not fly with them, as there's no way to lock the zoom, and you're almost guaranteed that it will change whilst airborne, and there's no way to correct it. Lenses like the 17-40 are less susceptible to that problem because of their mechanical characteristics.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: Can you not put some plastic insulating tape across the zoom ring to hold it in place?

Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I suppose you could, but I have several lenses I'd much prefer to fly with that are lighter, better optically, and better suited generally to airborne stuff.

5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

We like the 24IS. We have hoisted the 24-105 - and even added a remote zoom servo setup, but ended up being down around 24 anyway. The 24IS is not an L, but it's very nice.

-m

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

We us the 24IS too! we use plastic insulating tape across the zoom ring to hold it in place. never had any problems

7. John Gore

John Gore Member

Er... well, actually its an excellent lens for video work, and it is very easy to overcome the lens creep with simple tape, or one of the rubber grips on the market. The IS on this lens (24-105 IS L), and the lovely bokeh (out of focus blur), and very sharp details make it an excellent lens. For aerial work, the IS would be a very nice to have.

The 24mm f1.4 L weighs almost as much as the 24-105 IS L , but does not have IS, so it is likely quite a bit worse for aerial work.

The 24mm f2.8 IS does look like a nice and light option, and seems to have pretty good IS as well. But then one is locked in at only one focal length (prime), and there is little room for creativity or composing the shot, at least for aerial work.

For the 7D, the 10-22mm really is a very useful lens, but of course no IS. (usually one does not need it for such wide angle shooting, but IMHO it is still needed for aerial work).

8. John Gore

John Gore Member

Do you mean the 24-105 IS L ? (The fixed 24IS non-L does not have a zoom ring...)