/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK 2.10 ACC Calibration During Flight - tried it?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Derek Cooper, May 6, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Has anyone tried this?

The instructions are rather vague on the MK site. I'll go poke around on the .de forum too.

We are getting a slight nick creep on waypoint flying for surveys and thinking an in-flight calibration might just nick the problem.

Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Derek: Do you have a link to the MK site -- I've been searching with Google and not finding it...

Andy.

3. Derek Cooper

4. Derek Cooper

We think this may resolve the ever so slight pan drift we get on our waypoint flying - we are running up around 26 minute flights on our surveys and we really want to keep the camera perpendicular to our flight path.

Dual Operator is not the way to go with the Movi we've determined, but rather tilt hold in majestic, that way if we lose radio communication between the Controller and the Movi on long flights, we don't lose camera orientation.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks.
    So by Nick creep, you mean there's a tendency for the copter to drift in the direction that Boom #1 is pointing (or the reverse -- to drift way from the direction Boom #1 is pointing).

I'm just trying to understand the actual phenomenon you're observing -- and wondering whether it's related to errors in the GPS?

Andy.

6. Derek Cooper

Precisely.

It is key that the camera maintain a perpendicular orientation to our flight plan.

7. Derek Cooper

Any ideas Andy? We are hoping to try an ACC calibration during flight once we figure out the instructions and have the down-time to give that a go.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

As far as I can tell, while the copter is flying, you have to look down at the transmitter screen, scroll through several (aka quite a few) menus, and then tweak various settings -- presumably all while the copter's hovering on PH and AH.

I don't know about you, but that seems awfully risky.....I'd be afraid that I'd tweak something I shouldn't (or tweak something that I should but with too much tweak) and then be looking a small bits of carbon fiber in a shallow crater....

Personally, I would be tempted to do a very, very careful ground-based re-calibration of the ACC and see if that helped anything.

Andy.

9. Derek Cooper

Agreed.

My pilot never takes his eyes off the drone - futzing around with the TX would scare us all.

Lothar says we can use MK Tool with wireless which we have. Although we aren't clear where in MK Tool we'd initiate a calibration.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....general rule for me as a copter pilot (taken from the trapeze artist profession): "Don't look down!"
    I'm always amazed how quickly things go pear-shaped when I have allowed myself to look away....mind you, you should see the way I fly! :rolleyes:

Andy.

11. Derek Cooper

Ok, I had to report back on this.

We are in the midst of transitioning from Graupner to Jeti radios, and yesterday we were doing our initial flights from the Jeti. As part of the process, we talked about ACC calibration during flight that was announced with firmware V 2.10 back in April 2015.

We'd always been hesitant to try it out, cause we assumed, as I think most of us had, that you give up control of the drone and have to futz around through layers of menus in the radio to achieve the desired result.

Well, that isn't at all what needs to be done. Pilot retains complete control over the drone - have a second person connect to the drone in flight from MK-Tool, go to Flight Control in the application, scroll forward to the 6th screen which shows current ACC, then scroll Up and you will be presented with the calibration options. Shows Nick and Roll settings from your stationary ACC, position of the sticks, and finally a warning to turn off GPS to tune the rig.

So, get your pilot to hover and watch the behaviour of the drone - ensure the sticks in the MK-Tools display show 0/0 - if they aren't 0/0, sub-trim on your radio to set them to zero each. They'll disappear from the display once they're set to zero. Obviously, every time your pilot moves the drone, you'll see the stick settings momentarily.

With the drone hovering, no sticks on the radio, watch and see if it drifts slightly to nick and / or roll. Then, in MK-Tool, use the arrows to increase or decrease the N (Nick) and R (Roll) number respectively. You'll be able to dial it in perfectly so the drone just hangs in the air without any drift! Talk about sweet.

To commit the tweaks, you just have to land the drone.

Done. Sweet. Doesn't get any better. We are kicking ourselves for not doing this earlier.

If you have a down day, give this a try. There is no risk to losing control over the drone cause the pilot remains in complete control.

12. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Can the ACC leveling be done with out a wireless set up. Eg. if I notice drift to the left, land and then adjust the settings in MK tools to trim it.

13. Derek Cooper

Nope. That would be the traditional approach using levels.