/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bricked M-10 and no jumper cable

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bo McKenzie, May 2, 2015.

1. Bo McKenzie

Bo McKenzie New Member

Hey guys,

I just tried updating to new firmware and it failed. No apparent loss of bluetooth signal or battery... I have a shoot Monday and all im reading about is a jumper cable, that i do not have. First off, why would we not all have one of these cables as owners??? This is ridiculous. Is there some way i can manually short the pins 1 and 5 myself without a proper Jumper cable. If not im screwed and really finding it hard to believe these were not shipped with my M-10 and/or when they became available.

Really poor on your end freefly, this is a big problem. Thanks to anyone who may be able to help me before Monday morning.

2. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

We experienced the same thing months ago.

The solution was that my technician made his own jumper cable.

(We are in New Zealand, and there was no way for the Freefly one to arrive in time, and no local support).

Maybe, contact Freefly directly and ask them for the instructions to make your own. It was straightforward from memory.

It is a crazy situation to be in, and I am surprised that they have not sent jumper cables out to every owner.

Best of luck with resolving it.

3. alain baars

alain baars Member

i bricked my M10 two days ago, Freefly is sending me a jumper cable right away, for free, I think that's good service!

4. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Same thing happened to us and our M10. Freely sent a jumper cable for free but there is the option of making your own jumper cable using the spare IMU cable.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The instructions are here: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203614685-What-is-this-small-5-pin-cable-that-came-with-my-MōVI- and there is a link on how to use the jumper cable in the last line of that page.

Bo: You can use a short piece of wire with just a few mm of insulation stripped back off each end, short the two pins together and then power on the MōVI. The MōVI controller has to detect pins 1 and 5 shorted together on power up to force it into so-called "bootstrap loader" mode. You will know you have succeeded when you see the message “Device is connected but responding. Do not continue if the device bootstrap jumper is not in place! Do you wish to continue?”

It actually best done if you have an assistant -- one person shorts the pins out, the other person powers on the MōVI and then drives the computer/tablet.

When you're doing the upgrade, be sure that you computer/tablet is not running unnecessary apps and have the computer in close proximity to the MōVI to reduce the chance of errors via the BlueTooth connection.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Gohul Amirthaganesan likes this.
  6. alain baars

alain baars Member

Jumper cable resolved the problem for me, I connected again to autotune the Movi.

switched it of and took off the jumper cable and can't connect via bluetooth again. Do I need to keep the jumper cable on my Movi all of the time now?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You should not need to use the jumper cable *other* than to perform the firmware upgrade.
    You might want to try restarting your PC and see if that allows you to establish Bluetooth contact....especially if it's a Windows machine -- the Bluetooth seems very "fragile" for Windows (less so for Mac).

Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You may find that all the stiffness settings have gone to zero so either reload from a previously saved settings file or do an autotune to get you back to the approximate settings you need.

Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alain think you saw the other posting but make sure you are running the latest version of the firmware and GUI. They need to be in sync.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It just occurred to me, Alain....if you power up the MōVI with the jumper cable on, it will definitely go into boot-loader mode -- and that is the most likely reason why you cannot establish contact with it. Sorry...I should have realized that at the outset.

Andy.