/dist/images/branding/favicon

The neverending search for the perfect MK PID/GYRO settings...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tim Sessler, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Hi everybody.

I am currently trying to fine tune and re-do all GYRO settings on my two MK X8s.

1) Cinestar X8 with KDE 4014 motors 18" CF props, i2C converter, Castle ESCs, latest MK FC & GPS and dual FF 9000mAh 6S. AUW 29lbs
    2) Gryphon X8 with KDE 5215 435 with 18" CF props, Herkules III board, latest MK FC and GPS and dual 16,000mAh 6S. AUW 35lbs

Without wind both machines perform incredibly well. Very precise movements, great altitude control (the Gryphon better so than the Cinestar) and I can descent very fast without any shakes.
    Now in wind the whole picture looks very different. I just returned from a test - given that we are having some extreme weather in NYC today with up to 30-40mph gusts - and have gotten very different results.
    The Cinestar constantly oscillates and is absolutely unflyable - the Gryphon is performing decently. After increasing Gyro Stability to 5 and dropping Dynamic Stability to 60 (which seems to help a bit with ballooning) it flies pretty well.

Long story short, I wanted to share my MK GYRO settings and would like to ask you guys to post your rough specs and screen shots of your GYRO settings + descriptions of how the machine is handling in different wind conditions.

Thanks!
    Tim

CINESTAR X8:

Cinestar X8 - Tim Sessler.png

GRYPHON X8:

Gryphon X8 - Tim Sessler.png

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

bump i want to know the secret sauce too!

3. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

I have a Skyjib X4, Herkules III, TM3515-15, AUW around 8.5kgs. I've just finished a transition to KDE 5215, but the below settings don't reflect that setup yet.

Aircraft performs well in forward and climb, doesn't handle the descent as well. Probably needs finer tuning, however have held off in-light of motor upgrades. Haven't flown it in super heavy winds, I'll update here once I'm finished testing KDE setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Tim,

I'm using mostly stock settings. The only difference:

Acc Gyro Compensation: 200

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Ozkan, the MK wiki says this:
    Acc/gyro comp: Frequency of acc/gyro correction. High value: High frequency, more stable. Low value: Less stable. Default values: 16-32. Extended values: Up to 100.
    http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/MKTools-Setup#Screen:_Gyro
    Is that what you're setting to 200? Or is it a different value?

6. matt ragan

matt ragan New Member

This is exactly what Im working on right now. Ive flown the x8 and the flat 8 cinestar in many varying conditions, Im having a similar experience, no wind no problems, flies like on a rail. but after 8 to 10 mph and especially close to 20 mph they are both very hairy to fly. They do it but they are all over the place which can ruin the shot. ive played with gps p and I with some luck but I want to have presets one for no wind, one for some wind, one for a heavy load in the wind and so on... I see that there are 8 parameter possible to save in MK Tool, can I use those like pre sets? Also it would be great if there was an auto tune or way to map those gains to dials so you could play with them in the air. I will try these settings and share

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You can map many of the MK params to "POTIs" and play with them in the air. But the level of granularity can be touchy. I've not done that myself.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

There's also the issue that some of the parameters can appear to have no effect when you change them -- until the PID controller goes in to oscillation or over-correction -- and which point the copter switches to Plummet Mode.

Andy

Glen Comerford and Steve Maller like this.