/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andrew McLean, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Just diving into my Movi and the two times I've taken it out, after about 20 minutes of straight shooting, the Movi begins to slightly roll, and before long the shot is not usable since it's too off-kilter. I'm using a Canon 5d3 and my Majestic settings are:

Pan Stiffness: 97
    Roll Stiffness: 41
    Tilt Stiffness: 20

Also, not sure if this is contributing to the problem. But is it imperative that you turn on the Movi on completely flat ground? The two times I've taken it out, I set it up in the house and then turn it off and drive to my destination. At both locations, there wasn't a choice for extremely flat ground, so I just kind of held it in place as steady as possible while I turned it on. I guess my question is, should I just turn it on in the house and then leave it turned on while I'm driving to my destinations that don't have flat grounds? Or is it okay to turn it on while on uneven grounds?

I'll continue to search through the forums to see if there's a similar problem out there. Thanks in advance!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't check what the battery indicator lights were showing at the time, but it was fully charged before I started using it (the charger was green when I disconnected the battery from it). I will invest in one of those LiPo checkers just to make sure. Thanks for letting me know it's okay to turn it on if I'm on uneven ground, as long as I keep it steady. I think I have noticed that it begins to slowly roll after a long period of panning. Whereas, if I were just to keep the camera straight and not turn and left and right, the roll problem doesn't really exist. Would that possibly mean my pan adjustment is a little off (which could lead to a slight roll)?

Thanks!

4. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Gary, I might have figured it out, we'll see tomorrow after I re-test it. I ended up taking the camera off the Movi when the roll issue became too much. When I got home and put the camera back on the Movi, the Roll was not balanced at all. So I think the Movi is slipping towards roll, and so I checked the tighteners and almost all of them were pretty loose (the screw portions). I tightened them all and will try it out tomorrow in hopes of maybe this solving the issue.

5. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Ugh. Happened again today. After about 20 min or so it began to roll off kilter. After getting back home I put it on the stand (with the camera) and it definitely wasn't balanced. Leads me to think that something is still slipping. There were a couple screws that I overlooked last night, so I tightened them. I'll ask the audience, is it best to tighten down all the screws as tight as possible? That way the clamp can't slip from the rail? It's mind boggling how this could happen, since the Movi is pretty much keeping my camera level, there shouldn't really be a way for it to slip from the rails anyways. I'll keep searching the forums for possible answers, but in the meantime would be interested to hear if others have had the same problem.

Thanks!

6. Brandon Kuzma

Brandon Kuzma New Member

I've been experiencing the same thing in both scenarios, handheld on the ground and in a car after ~20 mins... Maybe its a gps issue? too much interference or not enough satellites? Another theory was it had something to do with roll lock? When it would happen to me, I'd try to roll it to the point that its forced to move and it seemed like it locked into that new position... almost like re-setting where the horizon should be. I know theres a trim option if you're on the tablet too, maybe you just tweak those parameters?

7. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Brandon, glad (but sorry) it's not just me. I concur, it's almost like the roll lock picks a new horizon level and if you kind of force it back into the normal (good) level position it can stick at that point for a little bit. I've been operating with the Tilt locked, so just out of curiosity I will unlock the tilt and see if that possibly changes anything. I don't know why it would, but I might as well try. I'll look into the trim option on my app settings and see if that brings me any luck.

8. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Same problem. On our M15 from new.

You are screwed. You will have to send it back to Freefly to fix. (and be without your rig for how-ever long that takes).

It took ages for them to accept the problem. At first, they told us it was fine, and normal behaviour.

Trim is not the solution. It is a problem with the rig.

3 for 3. Every Freefly product I have bought from them has had to be returned to Freefly for repair.
    (other companies send out a replacement, or at least a loaner... not Freefly, apparently it's acceptable to them to sell faulty products).

9. Andrew McLean

Andrew McLean New Member

Yikes! Thanks for the feedback Ben. At least I have some sort of an answer and that it's not operator error. I'll get a hold of Freefly right away and see if I can get this in for repair ASAP. Thanks again!