/dist/images/branding/favicon

How do you Secure your Cams

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Pavlos Antoniou, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Pavlos Antoniou

Hello guys i want to ask you how do you secure the cams..!

For instance i put antislip tape and u put the cam..!Without this i dont think its secured enough??

Do you put tire ups too??

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I definitely use cable ties as a backup. I really don't want to see a large black dot departing the C8 at altitude and I'm not convinced that a single 1/4 x 20 bolt is secure enough. Antislip tape on the camera platform will help keep the camera secure, but I still want something more secure.

The cable ties I use are re-usable, so you don't have to cut them off when you want to remove the camera.

Andy.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I used to worry about the screw in the beginning and use a safety tie etc. Now I think there are things which have a higher probability of going wrong (like my fingers!)

This does bring up a funny story where I flew the EPIC for an entire flight held on by a 1/4 20 screw that was only half tightened! Quite a shock when I landed and noticed it.

Tabb

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Whoof.....My knees would have started trembling if that were me....I presume you've seen the web site willitblend.com ? Maybe we need one called groundimpacts.com (the domain name is available). :)

I'll keep using cable ties for the time being, I think.

Andy.

5. Pavlos Antoniou

Guys with antislip tape and a screw not the tripod screw that comes with the kit you will be great..!

Also i wil put a tireup in order to be 100% sure :) :)

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have already thought about this... except calling it "Will it Drop?" Take various items to lets say, 100Ft and then using the tilt on the copter drop it and see what happens. :D

Josh

7. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

In the beginning I used to secure the camera with cable ties as a precaution but some flights later I realized that. If the camera loses from the gimbal and fall it will be a new camera expense but... if the camera loses and get hang from a cable tie or something similar this could make the Cinestar so unbalanced that it could fall. That will be a full system expense....

Just a very bad dream I had.... since than I use only the screw and always double check it before every flight.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The way I secure the camera to the gimbal, even if the 1/4 x 20 bolt drops off, the camera will be held in place -- that way I can avoid the shifting center of gravity problem. I just loop the cable ties through the metal loops where the camera strap would normally go and then attach the cable ties to the front transverse boom.

That said, Arthur, I've not dared to fly the C8 in "dangling camera mode" yet -- I'll deal with that only when I have to! ;)

Andy.

RcHeliPilot likes this.
  9. Tim Foster

Tim Foster New Member

Attached Files:

10. Pavlos Antoniou

Hmmm thats the best idea... whats the weight of this thing??

11. Tim Foster

Tim Foster New Member

Pavlov,
    around 10oz! not the lightest goodie in the box. but for us,
    the connivence of getting the camera setup properly
    way offsets the weight. Manfroto has other types available, as
    do other companies. we just have box full of these in our transporter.

tim

12. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys, we will also have a very lightweight adjustable camera plate available soon. It will offer very easy fore / aft adjustment and only 2g weight gain over stock setup! I will keep you up to date on release. Final version will be anodized black...this was just a prototype.

Tabb adjustable_plate1.jpg adjustable3.jpg asjustable2.jpg

13. Pavlos Antoniou

ohohohoh Great news.... ETA??? :) :)

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Looks slick!
    It would be great to have markings or some type of adjustable hard stops for doing lens changes on the same camera, or even different cameras that don't require a full rebalance.

15. Craig Peterschmidt

Craig Peterschmidt New Member

I like the sliding base plate. That is needed badly.
    And talking about safety for the camera...I usually always put a climbing lanyard or safety cable on all the cameras I use when I do crane and remote head work, but...with the CS I haven't. Like Tabb said, the camera falling off is usually the least of my worries.

16. kjetil tønnesen

this was great news

17. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Having been a photographer for a long time I have lots of experience carrying expensive camera bodies with very expensive and heavy lenses over my shoulder hanging on the tripod. Way more weight than my GH2, and hiking surely puts more stress on that little bolt than flying does. No additional safety for me.