/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 & Canon C100 Mark II - Remove EVF?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Torleif Lie, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Torleif Lie

Torleif Lie New Member

Hi,

I received the Freely M5 gimbal a few days ago and I`m very impressed with this gimbal. It`s amazing!
    I first tested the gimbal with a Canon 5D Mark III with a Canon 14mm lens, easy to balance and perfect stabilized footage.

I just received the new Canon C100 Mark II. The C100 Mark II has a new and larger EVF than the Mark I.
    Unfortunately it seems the EVF will restrict the free movement of the gimbal.

If anyone has experience with C100 Mark II and the Movi M5
    I would very much appreciate info/recommendations on how to make this work.

2. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

I think I also buy C100mk2. I think what I can do is only buy Ronin as well.

3. Torleif Lie

Torleif Lie New Member

Hello Hikario,

The Ronin is too heavy, I would not consider any other gimbal than the Freely gimbals.

4. Daniel Kay

Daniel Kay New Member

I'd like to know this too. Just got the M5 last week and was thinking about getting the c100 mkII soon. Let me know if you were able to find a solution. Thanks!

5. Torleif Lie

Torleif Lie New Member

Hi Daniel,
    Unfortunately the C100 Mark II does not fit on the M5.
    It`s not possible to remove the C100 Mark II EVF, I got this confirmed from Canon.
    The Mark I would work well.
    I am considering to purchase the M15, but do not know for sure if the C100 Mark II will work on this gimbal,
    maybe someone has tried it?
    The M15 is out of my budget at the current price point.
    I am not considering the M10.

6. David Burgess

David Burgess New Member

Hi Torleif!
    I was also considering upgrading my C100 MK1 to the MK2 to use on a Tero with a M5...but am a little nervous about the new EVF....if you were to run the M5 inverted and have the EVF angled up as much as possible would that give you some extra room to shoot upwards?
    The C100 MK2 would easily fit on a M15 as that has a lot more room but that is a different story!!
    Cheers
    David

7. Dylan Glockler

Last weekend I shot with the c100 mark 1, it definitely pushes the limits of the m5 - doesn't really balance properly but the gimbal does manage. Today I tried using the mark ii and as indicated in this thread, the larger, non-removable evf renders it unusable. I was able to get it working briefly with about an inch of tilt before it hits the Movi. You could conceivably lock the tilt and have stabilized pan but I'd be worried about the stress on the motors and the potential for conflict.

The idea about inverting is definitely intriguing, though again I feel the weight may be destructive overall with long term use.

sawaragi hirohisa likes this.
  8. Dylan Glockler

Shot a bit with the Canon C100 mark II on the MOVI m5 this week. It isn't exactly a match made in heaven, but it is doable. The larger EVF hits the MOVI so I put a tilt limiter.

Had some trouble getting it balanced so I started in inverted mode which has a little more room. If you could mount the camera upside down and then run inverted mode you wouldn't have the EVF conflict, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Anyone mounted the camera upside down?

Attached Files:

9. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

With the camera removed from the M5, you can flip the cage 180 degrees on the tilt axis, so the camera mount is "on top." Then mount the camera upside down, facing out as you normally would. You can boot up the MōVI with the camera cage inverted, as long as it is perfectly upside down, and still.

Once the M5 has initialized, you can flip it over. Now the camera is right-side up.

10. Brian Brennan

Brian Brennan New Member

Hey Dylan, can you share any more of your experience with the M5 and C100 Mark II? I'm hoping to get a movi M5 but I don't want to ruin the gimbal or have any shaky footage. The tilt doesn't really bother me too much since a majority of work I do is weddings and real-estate videos. Any help is greatly appreciated!

11. Steve Allanson

Steve Allanson New Member

I can also confirm MK11 is problematic with M5 solely because of the eyepiece. In all other respects it's mint.
    The roll arms need extending by roughly 3" (75mm) and that may do it.
    It's a lot better with a short prime lens on the rig as the balance can come forward but still not enough.
    Update:
    I've been playing around a bit more with the mk11 and M5. Seems like its not to much of a drama.
    Tilt is limited but Ive yet to do a shot that Ive needed max tilt. Im going to pursue with this camera and rig. Ive ordered 4x 10" rods off Berkeysystem.com They are super light and very stiff and then I'll be able to close the cage again and support camera in two places.

12. Brian Brennan

Brian Brennan New Member

I removed the eye piece today. The camera balances perfectly now without rubbing. However, by removing... I mean breaking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#12 Brian Brennan, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  13. John W Butler

John W Butler New Member

I remove the C100's rubber piece around the EVF, restrict my tilt limit, installed slightly longer horizontal carbon fiber rods & removed the carbon fiber top bar of the M5 camera cage. Works very well for my shooting style. YMMV. When using my M5 inverted, there's no restriction. Works like a charm.

#13 John W Butler, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  14. David Jones

David Jones New Member

HI I know I am a little late to the party on this thread but I recently removed the EVF from my C100 MkII without damaging the camera at all. It was surprisingly simple and only took me about 10 mins to do, once I had worked the process out.

Heres a how to video I made, if anyone wants to give it a go!