/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mikrokopter BLs with KW8 motors?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Lambeth, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Im looking at upgrading the motors on my CS8. Im looking at going to the KW8s. Im currently running KW4 equivalents. They are the Quadrocopter QC-3328s which I believe are rebranded KW4s. Will the BLs (Version 2.0) work well with the KW8s? From what I can find I think they will but I want to make sure before I buy. Thanks for the help!

Josh

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Josh,

Have you plugged the data into an eCalc or similar:
    http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm

mk.com advises against using higher power class motors (might help move more MK3638s for them). those using KW8 type motors might be adjusting the scaling in the BL CTRL. Best to get the whole story prior to purchase.
    Greetings,
    Adam

3. Josh Lambeth

WHere do I find all that information? KW's website doesn't list everything out and that motor is not listed in ecalc.

Josh

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh, send a message to them I asked the same question. Here's the reply that I got.

HI

u can type same specification as AXI2826 but 710KW.

Best regards
    Matjaz Kranjcevic

5. Josh Lambeth

This look right for everything? Never used this before so I am not entirely sure I am doing it right.

Josh

Attached Files:

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh. Haven't seen that tool before. Try www.ecalc.ch. that seems to be the defacto standard for doing calls on quadrocopters.

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I also cross checked those values with ecalc.ch

www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc&weight=6000&calc=auw&rotornumber=8&elevation=500&airtemp=25&motor=tiger_motor&propeller=apc_slowfly_sf&diameter=14&pitch=4.7&blades=2

The figures looks right and it seems it can handle. I used a similar motor, Tiger 2820-830KV with BL Ctrl 2.0 and it handled good even in summer time.

I would apply heatsinks on both sides of BL Ctrls. and check the capacitors frequently if their leg is broken or not.

By the way, the overall payload increase will not make you happy with change of this motor, unless you move to 5s.

8. Josh Lambeth

What size props are you using? If we switch to 5s the temps are going to go up more correct? Now with these motors would they lower the amount of current draw if we fly the same camera as we do now since the motors won't be working as hard? Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks!

Josh

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For Tiger 2820-830KV, I'm using 13x4.5.

Yes, if you move to 5s, you need to dissipate more heat from the BL Ctrl and you certainly go over the limits of BL Ctrl. So, it's better to stay with 4s with your current setup. You can lower the prop size with 5s to go under the radar but again, you will have the same lift capacity that you get with 4s.

I would wait for Herkules III speed controller which supports I2C communication protocol and has much higher current limits. So you can move to bigger motor with 5s and get marginal lift capacity diffence compared to your current.

10. Josh Lambeth

What type of motors would I need to upgrade to to fly an epic? I figured something of this size would be able to do that?