/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera Stability

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Bo Tornvig, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi all,

After I have tried numbers of different setups. Played around with the Radian gain. turned the belt inside out - replaced the servos - adding some more weight to the gimbal - taking some O-rings out - putting them back on - and twisted my head around for a month... I´m still having a little but very annoying movement on the roll axis.

Here is my theory: when there is a play in the servo gear set and maybe also in the in the belt drive it all together it produce's the unwanted movement.

Just for the fun of it Ill tray to find a high end servo (high performance titanium super no play in the gear set - one) and replace it with the FreeFly servo to see if that will make my day :)

The problem is that I do not know what kind of super-servo will work together with the radian and having the 360 roll.

I have looked at the Hi-tec and the Savox but I´m not sure it will work.

Any experts out there... :)

Cheers

Bo

2. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

The Savox didn't worked well for me. It works with the Radian but shakes. I had them on my Gimbal and changed to FF, what a evolution!

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Have you tried installing a piece of felt under the servo pulley? This will give it some resistance and helps reduce the effects of backlash.
    Having the camera perfectly balanced on the gimbal is also a key factor.

4. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

@ Arthur...Thanks for your feed back....

And Tim - Camera perfectly balanced. I met a guy last week with his Hexar Copter,(pro fellow - working for the national tv and just went back from Qatar filming camel race kind of guy) he had the same problems with the servos, what he did was really interesting. deliberately he put the 5D totally out of balance to prevent the annoying movement at the middle point. It worked out for him - I forgot to ask what servos he had. I went back home trying to do the same. No luck. It looked terrible. As the camera was out of balance... :)

Instead, I installed a rubber band on roll axis to create a little tension on the roll axis - as on the photo. It helped a lot in calm weather flying smooth. But my invention has its limits :) In windy conditions it still looks awful. What to do???

Could you please post a photo of your felt arrangement? It´s a very interesting solution...

Best
    Bo
    Gimbal.jpg

Kenny Chen likes this.
  5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Hi Tim. I'm interested in any and all roll mitigation ideas. I see some slop,everything's tight as a drum although it's probably not my major factor. Could you please elaborate about your fix?

Best Regards,
    Mike