/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan shake/drift?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Michael Stevenson, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Michael Stevenson

Michael Stevenson New Member

My name is Mike and I'm a new Movi M5 owner. What I seem to be experiencing is a pan roll. I have tried to tune it but nothing seems to make it go away. The tilt is rock steady but the pan wants to roll back and forth as I walk up the stairs. The Camera is a Sony A7s with a 24-70 zoom. Could it be the way I'm walking? Any help would be very appreciated.

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I see what you mean.

What are your majestic settings?

I'd wager it's a balance issue - don't mean to suggest you skipped a step but it's surprising how many people with some experience do. Even if the motors were off, if you were balanced up you wouldn't see that kind of slow wobble IMO.

Take a look at the motor page in the software and see how hard each motor is working - if one line is well away from the others it means it's not balanced/the least balanced.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Just curious what your stiffness settings are. Can you please post for tilt, roll, and pan?

Before you go to the stairs I can see some roll movement which looks like low roll stiffness.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

One way to post all the settings without having to write them all down is to Save Settings to a local file on whatever device you're using to run the FF Configurator app on, then post the resulting .cfg file on the forum -- or just open it in a text editor and paste it into a posting message -- it's just a simple text file.

Andy.

5. Michael Stevenson

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Here is the .cfg info:

Autotune Percentage,50
    Gimbal Application,0
    Gyro Filter,5
    Map Remote Mode,6
    Map Remote Pan,-2
    Map Remote Pan Rate,1
    Map Remote Roll Trim,-4
    Map Remote Tilt,-3
    Map Remote Tilt Rate,-7
    Max Tilt Angle,70
    Min Tilt Angle,-110
    Motion Booting,0
    Output Filter,5
    Pan Hold Strength,8
    Pan Joystick Expo,10
    Pan Joystick Smoothing,5
    Pan Joystick Window,8
    Pan Smoothing,10
    Pan Stiffness,62
    Pan Trim,3.0
    Pan Window,10
    Pan/Tilt Remote Speed Adjustment,1
    Radio Type,1
    Roll Hold Strength,8
    Roll Stiffness,29
    Roll Trim,3.0
    Shaky-cam Pan,0
    Shaky-cam Tilt,0
    Tilt Hold Strength,8
    Tilt Joystick Expo,10
    Tilt Joystick Smoothing,5
    Tilt Joystick Window,8
    Tilt Mode,1
    Tilt Smoothing,20
    Tilt Stiffness,10
    Tilt Window,10

6. Michael Stevenson

I took your advice and kicked up the roll stiffness to 49. It looks better, but I am still seeing the oscillations of my walking.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Michael: The MōVI cannot remove the vertical motion from your walking -- the physics will not will permit that, I'm afraid.
    You have to walk with your knees bent and absorb the vertical motion with your arms (walk like Groucho Marx :) ).

Andy.

8. Michael Stevenson

Thanks, any comment about my config file?

One other thing, when I do the auto tune at 50% ( the default?) the progress bar on my mac goes up to about 75%, then the pan axis does a slow 90 degree to the left then back to center then it does a weird jerking motion and stops. Is that normal?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Michael: Oh....sorry...I was presuming that Brad, who'd originally asked for the details, would respond.
    That motion you describe is normal for Autotune -- and 50% is normal for the M5.
    The Tilt Stiffness looks a bit low, but if that's what you get from Autotune, you might want to increase it in increments of 1.

Be sure to support the M5 the same that you're going to be using it when you do an Autotune -- for example if you plan to use both handles, then support it that way for the Autotune. If you Autotune it in the cradle you will probably not get the best values for if you were going to hold it with both hands, or just with the top handle.

Andy.

10. Michael Stevenson

Thank you Andy, I have been doing the auto tune in the stand. As far as tilt stiffness goes, when I change tilt stiffness from 10 to 20 it oscillates. The other Axis seem to be able to go much higher.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Michael: Yeah, best not to Autotune in the stand -- hold the M5 the way you're going to use it and then Autotune.

The "sweet spot" for Stiffness can sometimes just one plus or minus one unit, so going up or down in steps of 10 can cause you to overshoot and never find the sweet spot -- best to use the fine tuning....

Andy.

12. Michael Stevenson

I really appreciate all of the help.